• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Search results

1. guitarrob

Top 5 Pedal Purchases of 2021

1. Neural DSP Quad Cortex - surprised me how good this thing really is, despite its well documented flaws. 2. TC Electronic Polytune Mini 3 - indispensable for live. 3. Cioks DC-7 - not exactly a pedal but best power supply I’ve ever used. 4. JHS Morning Glory V4 - 1st OD purchase in a long...
  2. guitarrob

Favorite always-on pedal

A little bit of plate reverb from my Quad Cortex or Kemper or if I'm using a traditional pedalboard, my Big Sky.
  3. guitarrob

Best guitar wireless system under $500 today

I have been an advocate and longtime user of the Shure GLXD16 wireless system. It’s always worked reliably and is by far the best wireless I’d used up to that point. Like most, I’d I didn’t play live for nearly 2 years, but will be playing out live soon so I am updating my pedalboard. Is the...
  4. guitarrob

Strymon Mobius pre/post function can cause ground loop hum

This is a great solution for only $40. Small enough to fit under a Pedal Train Classic JR. Works perfectly in this scenario.
  5. guitarrob

The one pedal you can't live without.

Thanks for the replies. I see several Boss MD500s on here. Why that pedal? I’ve always thought the winner of the Boss 500 series was the DD500. Is it better than the Strymon Mobius?
  6. guitarrob

The one pedal you can't live without.

I've got a pedalboard that I put together recently, that consists of a Neural DSP Quad Cortex and a UA Astra. Both of these fit nicely on a Pedaltrain Metro 16. The Astra is on there because I felt that the modulation section of the QC was the weakest section and for recording, I tend to use...
  7. guitarrob

UAFX - Extremely frustrating products

Yeah, didn’t even think about this. UA is all about keeping a steady income stream coming in - of anything that’s been said, this makes the most sense from a UA paradigm sense. We’ll be forced to buy another add on product to get all the features we want. Of course, the product will be...
  8. guitarrob

SRV's Austin City Limits Rig

No, but its cool to dissect and emulate your heroes tones to better inform you on how to develop your own tone. And love him or hate him, a young John Mayer famously spent some time dissecting and emulating SRV’s tone and then eventually developed his own tone, which millions are now trying to...
  9. guitarrob

I get your point, especially in Europe, but regarding the script MXR Phase 90, the MXR CS version in direct comparison, sounds closer to me than the Astra version - and I do own all 3. And would anybody really want the block version? Maybe, but not me. Either way, everybody who has bought the...
  10. guitarrob

Yeah, I think that is the point for some people. We could also buy something like the Waza CE-2 for $200 a Custom Shop Phase 90 for $100 and save $100, but they'd take up a bit more space, and not offer the (not so easily accessible) versatility of the Astra - and we know what's in it now, but...
  11. guitarrob

I bought the Astra banking on the quality of effects and the form factor mostly. Probably, most of the UAFX user base are UA Apollo/plug in aficionados, I know that I am - and this greatly informed my decision. If programmability and midi were huge factors, any of us complaining should have...
  12. guitarrob

Yeah, I can’t disagree, but it seems more and more MI companies operate this way. For instance, Kemper had a WiFi chip all along in the Kemper Stage since it’s introduction in 2019, but only activated it for use with an iPad just earlier this year. I guess in the case of the UAFX, the need is...
  13. guitarrob

I’m on the fence. I agree that that midi over USB and access to more presets would greatly add to the usability of of products, but I knew what I was getting into when I bought the Astra. I bought it to augment / replace the modulation effects in the Quad Cortex, which in my opinion, is the...
  14. guitarrob

Can the UAFX Astra do Van Halen?

The point you make about the 117 is a good one. The EVH Flanger also has this distinct flip at the very bottom of the phase, which the Astra Flanger does not re-produce, or if it does, it is very faint. That’s the biggest difference in my opinion.
  15. guitarrob

Okay, finally registered and downloaded the X90 algo. I compared this to my Custom Shop Script Phase 90, and the difference was similar to that of the flangers. Set at the same rate, I’d say that the X90 set to script setting, is about 90% of the way there. There is a bit more chewiness in...
  16. guitarrob

Here are the equivalent settings I used: Speed - 11 o’clock, Depth - 11 o’clock, Intensity - 5 o’clock, Shade- noon, Shape - 11 o’clock, Mode - normal
  17. guitarrob

I dug up my old MXR EVH Flanger and A/B’d with the Astra. Dialing the Astra to the EVH settings, everything at 11 o’clock except regen at 5 o’clock, I thought it sounded pretty close - maybe 90% there.
  18. guitarrob

How did Gary Richrath Get His Unique Sound?

When I saw him with REO in the late seventies and early eighties, I think he was using Marshalls of some kind, but I remember reading a mid-seventies Guitar Player article where he stated that he used old Fender Twins live. I would imagine that cranked, there wouldn’t have been too extreme of a...
  19. guitarrob

Well, I went to GC today and picked up an Astra. First impression is overall positive, but I’ve had a hard time registering and getting the additional effects, so I’ll post again tomorrow, The Flanger on first blush is a little weak however, the CE-1 chorus and tremolo sound pretty awesome.
  20. guitarrob

Cool. I figured the sounds were exceptional. I might give the Astra a try at least. Worst comes to worst I can return it. I’m thinking, how far can the MXR Flanger Doubler differ from the 117 Flanger? And knowing how accurate UA’s emulations generally are in the plug in world, I feel like...
  21. guitarrob

No, I haven’t considered this. Thought it just did the de-tuning thing.
  22. guitarrob

Yep. I’m likely coming to the same conclusion but I was just looking for a compact solution to get me close. I primarily use a Kemper, but also own a Quad Cortex and while I like the reverbs and delays in both, I find the modulation section the weakest in both modelers. It’s not like I’m doing...
  23. guitarrob

The Zelzah seems interesting, but it seems like the chorus and flanger were an afterthought. I‘d be happy with a CE-1 type chorus and EVH / MXR style phaser and flanger in one box. Maybe the Strymon Mobius is the way to go. The Flanger/Doubler in the Astra seems pretty different from a 117...
  24. guitarrob

Wondering if the UAFX with the added X90 phaser and the flanger/doubler can do a convincing Van Halen Script Phase 90, and MXR 117 Flonger?
Top Bottom