Search results

1. Ed DeGenaro

Anything wrong with not playing over changes or targeting chord tones?

Thanks, but to be brutally honest I'm not sure i can take the credit. For years i was shedding the "chord tone boogie", over anything from Donna Lee to Inner Urge to Giant Steps. It was literally the same as with chord melody i could not improvise through the changes unless I worked it out...
  2. Ed DeGenaro

Isn't that we all transcribe? I transcribed some Joe Pass earlier since I came across some one thinking it's all Birdisms...well it isn't. But what it is a very interesting lesson in super imposition...where he literally plays Gmaj7 E7b9 Am7 D7 lines for 4 bars of Gmaj7/D to D7sus. So for my...
  3. Ed DeGenaro

That's a whole nother can if worms... The thing is that if you're playing say C major scale over C∆7, Em7 or Am7 you got some juggling to do to not ride around the F note. If you play the same scale over Dm7, G7, Fmaj7, etc,.you can pretty much cruise control through it...
  4. Ed DeGenaro

Crosspicking stroke direction

Well you only undo it if your habbit isn't doing the job.
  5. Ed DeGenaro

Crosspicking stroke direction

Over successive ascending strings like d g b? Then it makes total sense. Because of the string change. What exactly is the line?
  6. Ed DeGenaro

Who started the "spare, clean" '90's guitar sound?

I got into Fris in the late 80s when Before We Were Born came out and he was pretty much already there. We're during his days as the house go to guy at ECM and when he played first with Paul Motion it was more like that. Funnily enough when I was at THD I went to his place to demo a couple of...
  7. Ed DeGenaro

Fwiw...it's not that much irony....I'll try to sum it up. Before I got into chord melody and straight ahead stuff i came from Fusion and Hard Rock before. Just like everyone i believed that you needed to connect changes and it's done by way of basing stuff of the underlying changes and hitting...
  8. Ed DeGenaro

The thing that I'd say is "wrong" is thinking....assuming by think you mean "here comes that chord i need to go..." The thing with playing changes if you're not playing Jazz you're fine without it. That said if you actually can make changes you always have the option not to. A petpeeve of mine...
  9. Ed DeGenaro

pointy or non pointy of pick?

Correct? Tell that to Landau....
  10. Ed DeGenaro

What do you think of this playing?

I actually quite enjoyed the rubber band like intonation...
  11. Ed DeGenaro

Natural talent

I certainly did not have him as example of shredder I asked if that was your idea of "best" ...too many times I've come across guys (and I'm actually not including you here) that get completely bogged down in that one aspect of some ones playing. And yes as Tag has pointed out I've been...
  12. Ed DeGenaro

Natural talent

Stopped yourself before personal attacks? And yes I will go practice now. But then i likely spend more time with guitar than most on their day gig...
  13. Ed DeGenaro

Natural talent

No I'm saying if that guys worrying about usually judge "talent" by a different measure... Or to quote Steve Morse from the late 80s...Now that we all have learned fast let's see who can play good. These discussions never happen with guys that actually do this for a living, seems to only occur...
  14. Ed DeGenaro

Natural talent

You're putting words in my mouth. I said the likelihood when your prime worry is which way to slant your pick is that there are huge holes that likely need addressing first. Aren't you also the guy that insists a note can't be bend down in pitch (on a fixed bridge).
  15. Ed DeGenaro

Natural talent

Im Not sure how you extrapolate my world view from this. Or if you're just replying to the wrong post since that's not even remotely what I'm saying. But fwiw if you got nothing to say improving to say it faster isn't improving your cadence. Let me guess your idea of "best" is some one like...
  16. Ed DeGenaro

4 Eric Johnson style licks

Nice!
  17. Ed DeGenaro

Natural talent

Well except what the majority think of the highest level in these circles isn't even close....particularly with guitar. Also the fallacy in the sports analogy is that the actual physical aspect of it in the end is usually trumped by what some one...or if someone has something to say. It doesn't...
  18. Ed DeGenaro

IR Loader for Mac (Catalina so 64 bit)

Why is that? I stopped using Mix IR and cane back because of 3.
  19. Ed DeGenaro

IR Loader for Mac (Catalina so 64 bit)

Mix IR3 is fine on Catalina...
  20. Ed DeGenaro

Lips...

Breath...literally concentrate on breathing. Or you can go whole hog... Integrated Practice by Pedro De Alcantara.
  21. Ed DeGenaro

Harmonizing melodies...

Part 7 of the Chord Pair Harmony, quickie down and city hints...
  22. Ed DeGenaro

Natural talent

Check them with and without the chords underneath...
  23. Ed DeGenaro

Natural talent

Well...hers what I'm talking about i just transcribed this. It's the second half of Monk's Well You Needn't...which shows really well how a line not just relates to the chords (vertically) but also it's own gravity (horizontally)....
  24. Ed DeGenaro

Natural talent

Only the judgement of me being old...as in they'll find out later. So no, not a bad thing...part of growing...
  25. Ed DeGenaro

Natural talent

And how many of those (not even taking account those that actually really have amy's is) you think try to be musicians? As too stupid...an easy tag to use, but are they really? From my experience it seems this is much more the case in Western Europe and the US than other places. So now it's not...