Search results

1. D

What differentiates expensive pickups from cheap ones?

Thats it, yep.
  2. D

Van Halen to continue?

W/O eddie it would be a VH cover band....UNLESS, and it's a HUGE "unless" because i see the likelihood being on par with pigs flying. But UNLESS they can write songs as good as Ed and sound like VH songs, then again, just a VH cover band. I don't see that happening because Ed wrote some monster...
  3. D

What differentiates expensive pickups from cheap ones?

In some cases, only the profit margin. In some the research and development of the winder, not to mention his ears and inginuity. Some just copy proven formulas. Others research the finest details that can (tho not always) be the difference between a 8 and a 10. For example, theres at least one...
  4. D

The Official Fender Mustang GTX Amp Thread (2020)

The raunchiest lead tone i have gotten is from the brit 80s driven by most any of the decent stomps used as a clan boost. I think i used the mystic drive with the gain at the default 12:00 and the level up to whatever amount of drive you need and the amp model's gain all the way up. It screams...
  5. D

THIS is a rosewood neck! Not this!

Is it really so hard to figure out that people call maple necks with rosewood boards a rosewood neck? They do it because they figure people are intelligent enough to realize when they mean MAPLE NECK WITH ROSEWOOD FINGERBOARD they say rosewood neck so as not to have to write the whole...
  6. D

Which compensated brass saddles for a Tele do you prefer?

Febnder because i tried many brass saddles and they have the least colored sound and sound very alive and natural/neutral. And i didn't just come to that conclusion by trying them and deciding hey, these sound best. For several years on a number of teles i played musical chairs with those and...
  7. D

Guitar Center Going to go Bankrupt............

I would hate to see GC go. But i have the best ma/pa shop on earth near me so i can deal with it. Especially when it comes to guitars, because they not only carry all the big brands, but in the many decades i have dealt with them, other then when GC had those blowouts that they never do any...
  8. D

If what happened to me happens to you, rebooting won't fix it. You have to go into the EXP1 settings and turn the LAST setting on page 2 to EXP. Thats the setting that decides whether the patch defaults to EXP or volume when u go to that patch. The setting it is at by default is EXP. If you want...
  9. D

Bootstrap Pickups - any experiences with them?

As i said a week ago i have a pretzel neck on the way for a tele. It got here a couple days later and it's been in and now back out of my tele. Not a bad pickup, probably better then any of the tele necks that have comne in my MIM and asian teles. But it was competing with a dimarzio twang king...
  10. D

Yes, but take note....it may or may not be an issue for you but i started using the EXP for volume and it worked for a short time then bugged all the presets i had it set on. The 7 button footswitch stopped working properly on ever preset i used the EXP on. I had to go into the EXP settings and...
  11. D

What kind of stringing method is this?

It works, but ya know how when u install a new set and you have to stretch the string several times to get it to hold tune? Well, multiply the times you have to stretch the string by about 50 to get to that point ! The knot has to bend itself tight with string tension because you cant pull the...
  12. D

What kind of stringing method is this?

Hhaha! When i was a young kid with no money eons ago, i used to do that exact thing when I'd break a string at the post. I always saved old stings just in case and I used that exact method to ressurect a broken string. Incorrect? Nope, not of u r a broke kid and your 2 choices come down to...
  13. D

Headphones/home/band. All 3 are totally different and patches u make with any one of them will not translate well to the other 2. It's the same with a tube amp. As far as phones, don't even bother creating patches that way unless you make them for headphone use only. I don't use them as amp tone...
  14. D

What's your tolerance on neck relief?

I don't measure. Every guitar is different and i find it varies between a extremely small amount that i gauge by eye and none. So somewhere between i'd say maybe .007 or thereabouts and dead straight. However, i never adjust dead straight not because some if not most of my guitars are best like...
  15. D

Callaham Steel Block Question

IMO depends on what ur replacing along with the consideration that the cally itself adds a lot of brightness, which after using them for years to my ears translates to thin sound. I liked them for years but fought thin sound till i stopped using them. And the entire cally trem, mounting screws...
  16. D

Hmmmm....i know u have some issues, but it always sounded like you really liked the amp otherwise so i'm curious why u r selling it. But a piece of advice unless theres an unrelated reason u r selling.....it's been out quite a while now and no updates yet which tells me when one DOES come out...
  17. D

Paul Reed Smith ....give me a break

True, but i bet you it will not be more then 98% as good as the PRS and eric johnson will probably be able to hear the difference.
  18. D

NGD: Vintage Ibanez AR50

I bought one of those brand new in about 1980. Too long ago to remember the price exactly, but I'm sure it was between $250-300.
  19. D

Don't care what anyone says, no pedal is worth what this guy just paid for one.

If you need a $5k pedal, chances are what you need far more is lessons or logic/common sense or both. I love great tone but i have never owned an entire rig that costs even 1/3 that (including amp guitars and everything else) and i guarantee you that thing ain't gonna come close to getting some...
  20. D

How much of a difference with better quality tone/volume pots?

One thing to note about higher values being brighter sounding is that it's a crap shoot because you can buy a 250k pot who's actual measurement is anywhere from 200k to 300k ! In fact, i just recently replaced a 250k labeled CTS pot that measured 300k with one that measured 230k and the...
  21. D

Guitar you first really wanted when growing up

SG. That to me was the most incredible looking guitar. Bought a 1970 cream colored SG 3 pickup custom at the original hollywood GC when they were an independant store b4 they became a chain. $450 ! Ended up hating it for several reasons and l never got another. Moved to a goldtop then became a...
  22. D

SSS Strats rule.....

That happened to me too. I used HSS for a long time then at some point i switched to SSS and never looked back. I have no humbuckers at all anymore. They just don't have the same open sound and dynamics that i love.
  23. D

I love strats but.......

It takes time when you try a very different guitar. Often the problem is getting used to the sound and learning to hear it from a new perspective and often when you do things will change radically. For me it was teles. Being a strat player for decades u may thing thats not a big stretch but it...
  24. D

Strat Pickup Recommendations for Classic Rock

Yeah, like i said van zandt. Thats the best i have found in the neck but w/o going into a longwinded explanation of why i have fat 50s in it now, suffice it to say the VZ is going back in next time i have it open. I like them both but the van zant is just perfect really. Th FF does have it's...
  25. D

Strat Pickup Recommendations for Classic Rock

I use fat 50s or van zandt neck and middle but a tonerider A3 surfari in the bridge. A3 gives me fullness no other strat pickup does without going overwound. The fat 50s are very good for mid and neck and while very different sounding, so are the van zandts. I can't even make up my mind and seem...