Search results

1. mike@switchback

Luthiers: what's on your workbench?

Roasted alder...
  2. mike@switchback

Not a bench per se, but a paint stick...
  3. mike@switchback

Switchback Guitarworks

A few unique builds in progress right now. One is a Porsche Green Country Boy S in a textured, roasted pine body and the other is a Country Boy TV, swamp ash, in Goldtop. Just sprayed the Goldtop yesterday... When I look at the Country Boy S, my first thought is that I don't think I'll be...
  4. mike@switchback

Switchback Guitarworks

I've been working to expand the options available to my customers - in addition to Lindy Fralin, McNelly, and Mojotone pickups, you can also specify Bare Knuckle and Manlius pickups for your custom order at no additional charge. And here's a sick neck:
  5. mike@switchback

Any builders here who also make their own unique pickups?

I appreciate the mention but I think the only kinda-sorta unique pickup I ever wound was an F-spaced humbucker-sized P90 when I couldn’t find any available at the time. I had to make the appropriate sized spacer and top flat work and drill a base. For the most part I no longer wind my own...
  6. mike@switchback

Any Steinberger players?

That is so awesome to see! I wonder if it’s the same one? Mine had guitar stand stains on the butt end...
  7. mike@switchback

Any Steinberger players?

Holy cow yes exactly! Where’d you get it?!
  8. mike@switchback

Any Steinberger players?

My GM4T was factory pink. Not like shell pink. Like nuclear flamingo PINK. I wish I had a picture. I’ve never seen one like it since.
  9. mike@switchback

Paint, Or Not To Paint

I felt compelled to quote this because it's just really good advice. Anybody else contemplating trying to finish a guitar - read the above paragraph 10 times, do it, and you'll get good results.
  10. mike@switchback

Frank Brothers Masterpiece Under Way

These guys are the guitar-building equivalent of the great player that makes you want to quit! So, so good...
  11. mike@switchback

Have you ever had a builder sign a contract when ordering a custom guitar?

I don’t do a contract per se but when working with a new customer for the first time I like to put as much information in “writing” (email, DMs, texts, etc.) as possible even if it means restating some items that were discussed over the phone, for example. I think it can put both parties at...
  12. mike@switchback

Switchback Guitarworks

Roasted Pine Country Boy S in progress. Who doesn’t love a 3 lb body?
  13. mike@switchback

CE Certification?

Well don’t give me too much credit - I’m not sure I’m willing to take any steps. I use only woods from reputable sources (certified where applicable etc.) and hardware again from reputable, quality manufacturers. But even with all that...if, for example, you started gnawing on your lacquered...
  14. mike@switchback

CE Certification?

Question for fellow builders or any other SME's. Is CE certification required for 'ordinary' electric guitars for sale in the EU?
  15. mike@switchback

Switchback Guitarworks

The latest. City Boy in Fire Red Sparkle. 7lb 2 oz.
  16. mike@switchback

Switchback Guitarworks

A little bit of news - I'm proud to be working with Lindy Fralin pickups. You can now specify Fralin pickups on your custom order for no additional charge!
  17. mike@switchback

I love the clean lines.
  18. mike@switchback

Thank you. And yes, I do. That black one above (swipe right on the red one) is exactly that...
  19. mike@switchback

Two of my City Boy models in the works. And some ridiculous neck wood for a couple of Country Boy orders.
  20. mike@switchback

Switchback Guitarworks

The tone... https://www.instagram.com/s/aGlnaGxpZ2h0OjE3OTUzNTA5NDM2MzMwNzMw?igshid=1lr5pavfod3lg
  21. mike@switchback

Switchback Guitarworks

These City Boys are the next two coming down the pipe. Then a few Country Boys.
  22. mike@switchback

Switchback Guitarworks

The new website is live - I’d love to hear what you all think of it. Thanks! https://www.switchbackguitarworks.com
  23. mike@switchback

Switchback Guitarworks

ps - new website coming any day now...but in the meantime hit me up with any questions. I don’t bite.
  24. mike@switchback

Switchback Guitarworks

It’s funny - when I first started using roasted woods you had to know the secret handshake. You had to have the right “in” with the right seller to get the good stuff. So even though it’s not quite as “special” anymore as it used to be, I’m thankful that it’s so much easier to get such great...