Search results

1. David Garner

FS Metro Atlanta pickup only -- Vox AC30cc2

This is a well loved but functionally sound Vox AC30cc2. It has the birch ply cabinet and the chassis mounted pots and the whole 9 yards. It is built to last. Mine also has nearly new JJ tubes and UK-made Celestion Alnico Blue speakers. This price is fantastic, and I hope someone will snag...
  2. David Garner

Small Amp Guy discovers "clean headroom" issue

I've always used smaller amps. I gigged a 60 watt Concert for a while and a 50 watt Mesa Express. But mostly, it's my Deluxe Reverb, a 25 watt Express (which was the amp last night), and my 18 Watt Marshall. So yesterday, I'm the only guitar in the mix, which is unusual. What was also...
  3. David Garner

Show Me Your Custom Color 18 Watt (1974x and the like) combos

I am thinking of re-housing my 18 Watt into a combo cabinet to make way for a JTM45 chassis to go in the head cabinet where it currently resides. I like the basic black version, but would love to see your whites, reds, purples, greens, and whatever else you think looks really cool. I only want...
  4. David Garner

Mesa/Boogie Fillmore 50 combo -- questions, request for suggestions

I have 4 amps right now, as follows: Oldfield Club D'Lux (Deluxe Reverb clone) Mesa Express 5:25 1x10 Ceriatone 18 Watt w/ 2 Marshall cabinets (2061cx and 1960a) Vox AC30cc2 w/ UK Alnico Blues I have settled into a position where I only use the Oldfield and the Mesa, and I really prefer the...
  5. David Garner

Deluxe Reverb (clone) noise issue

Re-posting from the amp forum at the suggestion of a member: Lately, my Deluxe Reverb (Oldfield Club D'Lux) has begun making some serious noise. I never noticed it before, so I'm thinking it may be the tubes. I bought it new in 2008, so the tubes are 12 years old. I haven't played it all that...
  6. David Garner

Deluxe Reverb (clone) noise issue

Lately, my Deluxe Reverb (Oldfield Club D'Lux) has begun making some serious noise. I never noticed it before, so I'm thinking it may be the tubes. I bought it new in 2008, so the tubes are 12 years old. I haven't played it all that much, but I've played it enough over those 12 years that I...
  7. David Garner

A couple of recommendations: Area 51 and Well-Hung Guitar Straps

I had 2 great interactions with the owners of these two businesses recently and wanted to give a shout out to them. I ordered a buffer kit from Dan Albrecht at Area 51 a while back. I went to install it in my Crybaby Classic and noted that with the PCB, it was going to be a difficult mod, so I...
  8. David Garner

In praise of the chameleon-like qualities of the Skreddy Hybrid Fuzz Driver

Y'all. Gather round, at least those of you who either haven't tried this pedal or have tried it and want to weigh in. This thing is unreal. I'm still learning its qualities, but I had a revelation this morning and I have to share. I'll try to keep it reasonably short. So this pedal is a...
  9. David Garner

I love the Hybrid Fuzz Driver and the Tumnus Deluxe -- what else will I love?

Recommendations thread. I got 2 new pedals this week that have made me question the direction of my life. I got a Skreddy Hybrid Fuzz Driver on Saturday. It took a while to warm up to it, but once I figured it out, I was amazed. Then I got the Wampler Tumnus Deluxe today. I put them both on...
  10. David Garner

Selling Used Gear to Guitar Center?

Curious who does this and what they tend to offer? I'm considering putting an amp and cabinet up on Craigslist to fund a new amp purchase, but GC in another town has a used model of the same amp I want. Perusing GC's used gear for examples of what I have reveals I'd be trading something they...
  11. David Garner

NP(ower supply)D

I just got the Truetone CS12 from Sweetwater. I am probably late to the party on this, and I bought more than I needed, but I did it for good reason. The CS12 has 2 18 v outlets plus 4 more 9v outlets that can be set to 12v. I have 3 pedals that I prefer at higher voltage. Two DLS MkIIIs and...
  12. David Garner

Seymour Duncan Psychedelic Strat set

Perhaps this is a question for @Mincer, but I also appeal to the hive mind. This video --- y'all....... This tone. Granted, I don't play like that, but still. That's exactly what I hear in my head when I think "great Strat tone." But in addition to being an other-worldly player, Danny...
  13. David Garner

Bass tracks for recording

So I have a recording setup I've never really used -- Tannoy monitors, a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, some basic microphones if needed, Garage Band and Logic Pro X, and S-Gear for emulation. I just purchased some drum software. The thinking is I will use our 2 week shelter in place order to figure...
  14. David Garner

Les Paul push/pull coil split -- wire to volume or tone?

What are your preferences and why? Any good wiring diagrams? Just trying to avoid a bunch of trial and error.
  15. David Garner

Anyone running dual Catalinbread DLS MkIIIs?

I have one right now on my board, with a boost (Fulldrive 2) and a fuzz (Sunface). I also have a delay. I have it set up now where I really like the tone it gives with both a Les Paul and a Strat, my 2 main instruments. The problem is, it's a bit of a compromise. I have it in Superlead mode...
  16. David Garner

In praise of standard Strat wiring

A few years ago, I swapped the pots and wiring in my EJ Strat, mostly because my pickup adventures had resulted in too much solder, a lost original cap, and pots that were too gooped up to justify cleaning them up to re-use them. I still have the originals, and I will never sell this Strat, so...
  17. David Garner

"Set your Strat Pickups low.....

......I did this for years. And got good tone. But after I put Duncan pickups in my 2 Les Pauls and realized they sound best up high, right at Gibson's recommended heights, I decided to mess with the Strat a bit. Fender recommends 8/64 bass, 6/64 treble for Texas Specials, and 6/64 bass and...
  18. David Garner

NPD: Dunlop Echoplex

I found one of these used at the local GC and drove out to get it today. I was actually looking for a Carbon Copy or Deep Blue or maybe a Belle Epoch (though I had a Belle Epoch once and moved on from it). But this was a decent deal and I thought I'd give it a whirl. I'm glad I did. It's...
  19. David Garner

DLS MkIII -- some thoughts a few months in

First, I still love this pedal with my heart and soul. There are things I wish I could change about it, but in the main, it is outstanding. What I really need is 2 of them, 1 to keep in Superlead mode for Les Pauls and 1 to keep in Superbass mode for Strats. But I digress. I've been using it...
  20. David Garner

I have to stop drinking and working on guitars

Okay, not really, but I played my 93 LP yesterday and the action was stupid high. I sighted down the fretboard. Looked like a taco shell. It took a good half turn to get it right. Now all is right with the world. Not sure if it was just the weather changing or if I set it that way last time I...
  21. David Garner

In defense of clean plus pedals

So a few years back I had a little epiphany when I got my first Les Paul and my first Marshall (Ceriatone) amp. The epiphany was I can do far more with the volumes and tones on my guitar than I ever can with a multitude of stomp boxes. I'm still there, sort of, but recently I had an...
  22. David Garner

DLS MkIII -- favorite boost/fuzz/od

I got a DLS MkIII for a gig a few weeks ago. I've run a Sunface (germ -- CV7005) into it. Great in the room, kinda flabby live. I've used a Rat clone. I haven't yet tried the usual suspects like the SD-1 or the tube screamer. I LOVE the base tone this gets with my Deluxe Reverb. It's near...
  23. David Garner

NPD: Catalinbread Dirty Little Secret

I have a gig coming up where I'm playing with 2 different bands, and I want to use my Deluxe Reverb with one band, but the other needs those Marshall tones. So I got this little monster. First impressions -- it is as advertised. I'm using it on the Superlead setting for this gig, but I may...
  24. David Garner

Pickup wiring issue

Friends, my apologies that I don't have a lot of good information right now -- I won't get to actually look at the guitar until tomorrow morning. A friend bought a set of Duncan APH-2s to go in his Epiphone Les Paul. He had them installed at Guitar Center, and the guy just did a terrible job...
  25. David Garner

Went back to 10s on all my guitars....

....except the Tele, which still has 11s because it’s set up for slide. Man I play faster all of a sudden! I did it mostly to get some pinch harmonics back. They’re easier with lighter strings. But it started when I traded for a Les Paul and it had 9.5s on it and I forgot how nice it was not to...