Search results

1. axpro

Should I pull the trigger or not?!?!? PRS singlecut

Hey guys, as my signature states, I used to have lots of gear, then got divorced, and I have been "Rebuilding" for years now. I have a nice selection of PRS guitars, my weapon of choice as it were. I work in a shop, so I do see them occasionally, and pick them up when i can Currently have an...
  2. axpro

DAMN MULTIPLIER BANDS!!!! lol

So been messing with this Traynor YBA-JCM800 amp, that never sounded "quite right" So i messed with it and messed with it and figured "It's not happy being a Marshall, I'll try something else. Turned it into a Bastardized Matchless.... type front end into dual 6L6's (it's what i had) When i...
  3. axpro

The latest "What to build" question lol

Hey guys, I have been jamming with a couple guys lately, and the amp i use (a homebrew JCM800 hi gain mod) doesn't cut it. It's got massive bottom end, and sounds great for metal, but we tend to skew a little cleaner, and into blues rock. I used the low gain input, but it sounds a bit crap...
  4. axpro

DEEP cleaning tolex...

Hey guys, I know this has been covered MANY times in the past, but nothing i usually do works. Got a free amp yesterday, an old traynor YBA-2a combo. it was going to be thrown out and a buddy sent it over. Needed a new tube socket, but other than that, it worked fine. WORKED fine.... did...
  5. axpro

The older i get, the more i like the 2204...

Hey guys, been toying and tinkering with amps a little less lately, trying to get time to actually PLAY! I work in a music store, so i get to try lots of stuff, but for the most part, I am pretty happy with standard fare type gear... not a crazy boutique nut, either for effects or amps...
  6. axpro

What do we do with a DC15.....

Hey guys, got a DC15 clone i got from a fellow TGP'er that i am NOT liking, dunno if it's due to dammage in shipping (last year, repaired what i saw as broken) or what. Of course i have yet to play a "real" matchless, so that may be part of it. It's overly bright and glassy (but so is my...
  7. axpro

HOW BIG A ZENER?!?!?

Hey everyone, working on a Traynor YBA-1 to Marshall 1987 mod. I added an extra filter stage and a 1k 20 watt resistor to dump some voltage and try to get it to a "happy place" but it always sounded raw and flubby on the bass frequencies. With the big ass dump resistor the B+ is brought down...
  8. axpro

traynor bassmate... is it Bandaxall typed?

Hey guys, I always have trouble with Traynors tone stacks, especially the ones that aren't DRAWN like the normal fender/marshall style. Working on my Bassmate, have it about 80% there... I like a lot of Bass, but this is WAY too much, especially with the 15" speaker. (it sounded AWESOME...
  9. axpro

Anyone build a "Big bottle (el34/6l6) Lightning/spitfire clone?

Hey guys, So it seems there is no matchless Brave schematic to be had, which is understandable. So has anyone built a "big bottle" type Lightning? or even a spitfire? I have my new iron and i am ITCHING to get some work done.... Still have to gut the chassis, but it is out and the...
  10. axpro

Possible New Amp Day, Speaker QUestion

Just talked to a local guy with a Traynor YBA2b bassmate combo for sale... going to check it out this afternoon and hopefully bring her home. Going to do my best to keep her stock. At least MOSTLY stock. Don't know the condition of the circuit or if it's been messed with, but we'll see...
  11. axpro

Matchless Clone Builders... Anyone build a NON reverb Chieftain?

Still working out what to do with my old project amp (Weber 6a14HP) New iron is on the way from Allen Amps, so I will have much more power and a much bigger OT to provide some more beef. The PT should have no problem with 4 preamp tubes and a pair of el34's now. the chassis is cut for 4...
  12. axpro

Still planning on new build, but what to do with old amp project...

Hey guys, Still thinking of a scratch built EL34 powered Matchless-ey thing, Maybe something like a Brave, BUT. I've got a Weber 6a14HP combo. I've rebuilt it into a few different projects over the years, A few Z and Matchless flavoured variants... but it's never sounded right. I don't...
  13. axpro

Gonna build a new amp i think.... (matchless-type content)

Okay fellow amp nerds, I have been staying away from the forums for a while since it always leads to me spending more $$$ lol I have been hankering for a 1x15 combo... dunno why... Considering building a Lightning type circuit with el34's. Master volume and cut control. Not 100% sure...
  14. axpro

So i have this tube thingy i want to mess with (Reverb driver as OT)

Hey guys. I have an Eversonic KD10... I doubt anyone here has heard of it! It's some sort of thingy i have no idea what it does... It has a rectifier and a thyratron tube. some sort of open framp pot and transformers... it's gotta be from the 60's at least, from what i read thyratrons were...
  15. axpro

Anyone build an Ampeg SB12 clone?

Hey guys. I am still not using my yellow "used to be a princeton high power" combo. It's been a few things, lately a Dr.Z Kt45 derivative. I think i might like a good little "multipurpose" amp. Was thinking maybe an SB12 since i could use it for bass too Of course i could end up just...
  16. axpro

BWAHAHAHAHA SUCCESS! (Badcat Judah)

Okay, as some of you have read, I have been having issues with my Badcat Judah. It's an amp I REALLY wanted to love, but it wasn't quite there... When another forum member graciously got ahold of Badcat for me (not a lot of Canadian Dealers) They finally responded. THey wanted me to send the...
  17. axpro

Post PI master volumes and low end response

yes, still messing with my Judah! lol. Okay, changed the slope resistor for the 12ax7 channel, much better low end mix. I am zeroing in on the right combination. Then ic hanged the Phase inverter to 12at7. That brought the volume down a little more into the "controllable" range, and thus...
  18. axpro

Badcat Judah....still

hey guys, Still with the Judah... I tried getting ahold of Badcat over a month ago, and still no response... are they just slow on the feedback? someone mentioned to give them a call, but i hate the phone (my iphone is just mobile email for me) so If that's the case, I'll make sure the...
  19. axpro

Amp recomendations, deeep sound, low volume hahahaha

So, I have gone through a few amps lately, My favourite is a Marshall JCM800 50 watt clone i built myself modded for lots of low mids and a vox cut control to cut out all the highs, but it's WAY too loud for at home. I have a mesa Stiletto for jamming/playing out, and the aforementioned...
  20. axpro

BadCat Judah

Hey Guys, Got a Badcat Judah 20 on trade, it's a good enough amp, finding a quiet enough EF86 is tough, the Badcat circuit kicks it a little harder than the old Matchless C-30 circuit, so the noise tends to be more of an issue. ANYWAYS, I like the amp, but the master volume is a post PI...
  21. axpro

Ever come back to an amp rig after an absence and HATE IT?

Hey guys, I have a Marshall clone i built years ago, it's a complete one trick pony, crunchy gain. THAT IS IT. Played it through a Dr.Z Zbest 2x12 for years, it was massive sounding with a smooth drive. It was all i needed. Then between my drummer buddy getting married, my bass player...
  22. axpro

Biasing blues.

ok, still working on "The Pacer" I am fighting with Biasing currently, went over all the solder joints and things are seeming a little better, BUT when i measure bias across the 1 ohm resistor i installed, i am getting 37 mv across one side, but 32.4 across the other! i went over the whole...
  23. axpro

Problems with "The Pacer" Persist, Perplexing!

Hey guys, still a couple problems with "The Pacer" Rt66 front end tied to a 6l6 power section. I put in the GT 6l6GE tubes, which eliminated the crackling on startup, I figure that is partially due to the high voltage these things are running at being uncomfy for current overseas production...
  24. axpro

white noise in amp during startup.

Hey guys, a while back i posted "what to do with an old Weber 6a14HP" well it's now a new amp! I call it "The Pacer" in honour of DrZ's naming stuff after cars. It's a route 66 preamp feeding a pretty conservative 6L6 power amp. I tried the EL34, and didn't like them. I've also added a cut...
  25. axpro

I think i need a bigger pedalboard....

So. I have been a staunch "anti-pedals" player for most of my life. I had one or two, but mainly NO PEDALS! It was a joke when i filled in for the lead guitar player in a band for a charity gig, the singer asked where my pedalboard was and I just pointed to my tuner and boost pedal. "Oh...