Search results

1. prototype

Thinking about making the jump to a "modern" tube amp (Mesa content)

so in the 15 years or so that i've been playing tube amps they've all been of the classic variety.... basically nothing but voxes and fenders and one gretsch/victoria amp, most of them without master volumes, etc. my current amp is a silverface bandmaster reverb that has been re-outfitted into...
  2. prototype

New Orleans point guard Jrue Holiday playing jazz on a PRS Santana

Looks like a jazzy chord progression that he loops and does some light pop-rock soloing over it. his lead playing could be cleaned up a little but i like the chords. never knew he played. <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Checking in with the Holiday bros to show how...
  3. prototype

2020 - what old stuff is worth picking up?

i've been in the modelling game for about 10, maybe 15 years so i do remember using a lot of stuff that sounded good or who's features i miss. i know that Axe and Kemper and Helix have got old stuff licked in terms of "realism," but a lot of old boxes had some cool sounds of their own and did...
  4. prototype

Lets have a last word on fuzzfaces, wah wahs, and buffers

its been years since i had a wah pedal but i've been getting the itch again. However, the majority of my higher gain lead sounds come from a fulltone soulbender fuzz with notoriously finnicky nkt275 germanium transistors. As you know fuzzface and tonebender fuzzes are very reliant on getting...
  5. prototype

Observations from PLAY IT LOUD - classic rock guitar exhibit at the Met

great exhibit for those who can get to NYC. A lot of THE number ones from famous guitar players were on loan to the met and on display, along with some amps and effects and some short interviews with sound demos from Page, EVH, Keef, and Morello. Won't regurgitate the full list or share my...
  6. prototype

Pick up mix and matchers get the heck in here - HS2 play nice with others?

Being a guy who likes to tweak and experiment i find myself gravitating towards mixing and matching pickups in my strat. It was initially a 2001 american strat with forgettable stock pickups. I swapped them in for an EJ set circa 2008 (people who know the EJ set know that they are virtually a...
  7. prototype

Can we get a comprehensive list of super delay pedals?

with the dropping price of DSP delay pedals have come a long way in the last 10-15 years, with a lot of pedals offering a myriad of delay modes, presets, looping and other abilities while increasing sound quality. while a lot of smaller builders like catalinbread, trex, keeley, etc. are...
  8. prototype

Eric Johnson concert review

I got into EJ when i was in college, actually while reading thegearpage around 2007-2008. I have poured through all of his records and a ton of his playing. Feel like i know it pretty well. I have always preferred his live stuff, my first record was the famous ACL performance. I think his...
  9. prototype

Deciding between a J35 and a J200

hello, friends. i've been racking my brain trying to figure out what to buy for my first big-boy guitar (about $800-1800 used). i've always really loved the gibson sound and look and the budget finally allows for a relatively higher end (by my own standards) acoustic. i've played a ton of...
  10. prototype

Matching plastic to a mint green pickguard

Finally got a mint green guard for my hot rod red strat. I was a little worried about leaving the original plastic (pickup covers and knobs) because they would clash with the mint. turned out i was right! the very white plastic (even after 16 damn years) makes the pickguard look extra green...
  11. prototype

Is it crazy to buy a Boss DD2/3/5 in this day and age??

In the age where even analog delays are coming out with new crazy features and there are so many (inexpensive) delays that do amazing things like the boss DD7 or Flashback. as a guy who really only uses a medium-short delay for what is basically the eric johnson thing, and some slapback (i.e...
  12. prototype

My strat has been at the tech for a month

I went to the repair zone in san diego (which in the past has been not only relatively quick to turn around, but did incredible work). Got a neck in from Musikraft to be installed... Nut was already installed but i ordered some locking tuners, had them take care of any fret work needed, and...
  13. prototype

Rank strat upgrades in terms of importance

Say you're starting with an off-the-shelf mid-tier strat like an older american standard. what do you upgrade first? (and yes this is a thinly-veiled attempt at helping me upgrade my own #1 strat) 1. pickups 2. pots/caps 3. tremolo block 4. nut 5. saddles/bridge plate? 6. tuners My number...
  14. prototype

Do the timefactor and DD-500 do freeze and hold??

relatively simple question. i had a timefactor once but it was years ago before the updated firmware. have had the boss dd-3/6/7 and the "Hold" feature on those pedals is not what I am talking about. the hold on those other boss pedals is a simple looper. i'm looking for something that has a...
  15. prototype

Just ordered a Musikraft roasted Strat Neck lads

Pretty pumped. This is going on my 2001 American Standard strat (has been my primary guitar since about 2007). Haven't found another custom shop with such an extensive options list (allowing all of your OCD to run wild). Spec'd a similar neck at warmoth and USACG as well. Warmoth was the...
  16. prototype

Pod, GT-8, Tonelab, Eleven - best cheap "utility" modeler?

i've had a few modellers and modeling amps in my day (pod x3, vintage amp room, guitar rig 4, vox valvetronix stuff, etc.) but currently i'm using a traditional rig for most of my playing and vintage amp room for quick doodling in cubase. i've been thinking about throwing a few bones at an...
  17. prototype

Can a Mesa replace a vintage Fender?

own a silverface bandmaster reverb into a 15" JBL which sounds great for 1. cleans. 2. platform for fuzz. 3. mild gain. Its not that great for vocal eric johnson/carlos santana type leads or thicker rhythm sounds. The lack of an fx loop or master volume is sometimes problematic but i've lived...
  18. prototype

What are the EJ strat alternatives?

love the sound and feel of the eric johnson strat a lot but not a big fan of the limited color options, especially with rosewood. $1900 for a new one is also on the high end of my price range. i want to be able to play before I buy so doing a build or swapping the body is out. has to be...
  19. prototype

Which cheap wahs work with fuzz? vox/dunlop?

need something that has a buffer for use with a fulltone soulbender and other transistor-based fuzzes. do any of the current off-the-shelf wah-wahs you can get at GC come with a buffer? i used to have a vox clyde mccoy and it sounded great but wouldn't work with fuzz. i don't know anywhere...
  20. prototype

clearest, most balanced 60s strat pickups for active hands?

gone through a little bit of an odyssey with pickups in my main axe. Guitar is a 2001 USA strat (alder body, maple neck, rosewood fretboard). I sometimes use pedals, but I prefer to just leave one pedal on all night and get tonal variation with the strat's controls and switching between pick...
  21. prototype

Pickguard replacement

so i had an old yamaha fg300 that i was forced to sell (it was on it's last legs), and have been using a yamaha ll6 as a replacement. tonally, its a wonderful guitar, with a great neck and a few tasteful aesthetic appointments, but the pickguard is not my favorite: FG: LL6: I'd like replace...
  22. prototype

How much does neck replacement tank a strat's value?

i'm talking about a 2001 american strat, so probably only worth $6-700 to begin with. the pickups and electronics were replaced years ago but neck, body, and hardware are original (think i might still have the original electronics sitting around somewhere). i could just replace the guitar but...
  23. prototype

Reverb pedal in between jumpered inputs?

have an old fender head w/o reverb and would like to add something to my arsenal. Since my rig is totally analog and all the good reverbs seem to be digital i'm thinking about sticking a reverb pedal (set to 100% wet) in between two of the jumpered inputs on the amp (the amp channels are in...
  24. prototype

Modded TS into a clean amp for amp-like gain?

just wondering if there are any TS type pedals that can be adjusted to act as a more transparent gain "channel" for a clean amp a la timmy or fulltone OCD. I'm used to using tube screamers to supplement an amp that is close to breaking up or just starting to give up the goods. i'd like to keep...
  25. prototype

Fuzz with the most range? bender? buzzaround?

looking to get out of the fuzzface game and move back to something a little different. whats important to me is having fuzz mainly as a change of pace from my bright, bold clean tone for a different texture for the leads, but i'd also like to be able to either roll down the gain, or better yet...