Search results

1. R

Help with choice for a guitar I am buying as a gift

Hello all, My cousin , who is only 3 years younger than me, is a tremendous guitarist. He works playing in 3 different capacities. He was incarcerated for aa number of years, and when he got out-he needed to work, deal with child support he owed, and keep in some form of continuing...
  2. R

What should I ask for?

I have a unique opportunity to record some music with a musician/producer that I have known for several years. He recently moved to Bermuda and I will be flying down to meet and do some recording on a project that is all pop/rock-pretty standard stuff. He is in the process of moving gear...
  3. R

Some semi-random observations about 1 man and his relationship to the Stratocaster

Hello everyone. Today is my birthday, and during this day every year, my family gives to me as a gift-the rare luxury of just doing as I please-with no agenda for the day other than my own. I have had my third (!) coffee with Irish cream, and have been contemplating my guitar collection for...
  4. R

Zemaitis copy parts help?

Hi all, I have this guitar, a Xaviere XV110. Got it in a deal, was going to sell-but I really like it and want to have some fun with it before I decide whether or not to move it on. It's really a nice guitar, very resonant, lightweight (7 pounds 3 ounces) neck is very similar to a Gibson 60s...
  5. R

After almost 30 years, I have re-acquired my first Gibson-on TGP!!

So....here it is! This is the first Gibson guitar I ever bought. It's a 1974 Les Paul Special 55 reissue. Not a very accurate reissue, but a pretty great guitar. Getting it back (right at xmas) has sparked many forgotten memories. If you want to read a bit, here is the story: My first gig...
  6. R

My New Guitar-Bluesman Fat Floyd Strat

OK-this is not the most exciting guitar to look at...But it is just a phenomenal axe and the first of it's kind made by my Buddy John Scott. I have another guitar of his that he built for me a few months back that looks more interesting, an Oly white pine body Esquire type with a multiple output...
  7. R

My killer new Tele !! Whaddaya think?!

I like to use reissues or custom versions of older guitars to gig on, and I was growing tired of my main Tele, a 73 Custom, and lately I've been needing another Tele, one different from that. My pal John has been building guitars under the Bluesman Vintage name for some time now, and he has...
  8. R

Cool new Les Paul at GC Nashville

We are lucky here in Nashville, our GC is an awesome store, great stock, excellent staff that just totally eat sleep and breath guitars. I was in today to check out a couple vintage pieces in stock as well as check on availability of a couple things I am searching for and lo and behold I saw 2...
  9. R

Which Guitar gets "slide-o-fied"??

I've been wanting to set-up a guitar for slide, been wanting to work the old Coricidin bottle on something other than my 22" scale Supro, something in a Gibson scale length. Here are my 2 candidates for the job: A 2006 Firebird 7 or this 82 Epi Spirit. The firebird has the cut and power that we...
  10. R

Picking axes for rock sessions...and amps!

Ok, I will be in the studio next week working on a friend of mine's new CD. He has a pretty rocking sound, the closest I can describe it would be Faces-type rock tunes with a harder edged (think Guns, STP, etc) tone, but with a bit of Detroit attitude thrown in. I'm pretty excited about it, he...
  11. R

Who loves their shred machine??

Back in the late 80's I had several of these type guitars, used them for the bands I played in at the time (metal), had Charvel, Jackson, Kramer, BC Rich, even a refinned LP Deluxe with a Floyd and EMGs. All are gone now, except for a LA Custom Shop bolt neck BC Rich Warlock that was custom...
  12. R

Dang, check this B bender gizmo out!

Here is a pretty cool thing that is in my bud's shop right now. Whoops, I had "bold" on. It's a thing called Tremor Bender. These 2 guys from Michigan came to Nashville with these B benders, and my pal got a couple to try out. He had this cool little MIM Squier Tele at the shop and installed the...
  13. R

Mystery Charvels- any experts that can ID these 2??

A buddy of mine has these 2 guitars, he has no idea what they both are, just that they are really clean, play and sound good and have hardcases. He is trying to evaluate what they are and maybe find out what the market is. He may sell them both or one of them to fund a new guitar. He played...
  14. R

Oh, The Humanity!!! (horror guitars!)

We've all seen some terribly mutilated guitars, here is the one that has made me the sickest yet, this 63 Strat brought in to my bud's shop by an old Baptist preacher (arrogant sucker too!) for a refret. he claims he didn't do any of this, he got it this way... The neck was severely warped from...
  15. R

Tortoiseshell Strat pickguards-where can I get a good one?

I have a relic Strat that I want a Tortoiseshell guard for-I'd prefer something that looks like the old nitrate ones, not the silly pepperoni looking ones that Fender sells. I'd like a relic one that matches my axes look-more brown and swirly is what I'm after. Anyone know a good source? Thanks...
  16. R

anti-GAS syndrome, do I have it?

Hi all, This is pretty odd, never happened to me before. Maybe it has to you. I just set up a deal with a guy I know to buy an old Gibson SG I have wanted. Upon arriving home, I kind of looked at my gear, taking stock really. I buy and sell guitars here and there and have no trouble...