Search results

1. D

Just received a hand painted 8 Step Program

:huh:huh:huh Just received a new EHX 8 Step with what is quite clearly a brush painted enclosure. It's quite funny. Looks like my redecorating attempts. My guess is maybe something broke down or ran out one day so they just grabbed a paint brush and kept on turning them out. o_O Awesome. Gotta...
  2. D

Mixing G12-65 in a 2x12

I was wondering if any of you have a favourite pairing with this speaker in a 2x12. Either original or Heritage, or other company derivatives of the G12-65. I've happened on a bit of a magic pairing in a Mojave 2x12. An Eminence Deltalite II 2512 and a WGS ET-65 (specifically the Goodsell...
  3. D

New Dwarfcraft pedal at NAMM- Super Wizard

Excited about this! Appears to be essentially the Wizard and Minivan combined along with two momentary switches, one which seems to be a hold / 100% feedback switch for the delay. A new switch what says 'mutate'. Trippy.
  4. D

Bogner Mojado-Bias help needed.

I bought one of these little guys last week, awesome sounding little amp. It runs a pair of JJ 6v6s, SS rectified, fixed/adjustable bias (it has a little bias pot on the board). They call it a 15 watt amp but it seems very loud for a 15 watter. The bias seems crazy hot though, although i'm...
  5. D

Need line out! Hotplate or other?

I need a line out, something that's safe and hopefully won't affect the sound. Are there any alternatives to a Hotplate, and if i use a hotplate in that role is it just presenting a static load to the amp? Any other gizmos i should check out? I need the lineout to slave one amp from another...
  6. D

FUZZ! Dark Peppermint? Dark, brassy honk?

Has anyone tried the dark peppermint fuzz yet? I'm looking for fuzzes, particularly i like a brassy honk from a fuzz. Bits of sizzle, gated sustain, octave up and other such characterful fuzzy artifacts are all good but i'm looking to have a good choice of fuzzes available. I have a DAM...
  7. D

Mini-Hums in my City Limits? (..make that TV Jones)

Just a thought. I'd like a more open sound, less compression, more string separation. Would Lollar mini-hums do the trick. Or do it need a humbucker sized P-90? I have zero experience of mini-hums in general. I'ver been thinking of selling this guitar, i just like a more open sound and i'm...
  8. D

Fret dressing question

Just wondering what's the best way to take out file marks left by the crowning file before polishing. If i go straight from crowning to polishing it takes a while to polish them completely smooth, seems like there should be a sanding stage in between. Just fine sandpaper around the fret maybe? I...
  9. D

Does a relic'd neck have compromised stability?

I just bought a relic'd guitar for the first time and i was just wondering about the wisdom of removing the finish from a new neck. Won't it affect dimensional stability? I've owned an early 60's fender before, and that thing was super stable, but that was a round lam (very stable...
  10. D

Calling Mojave Sidewinder Experiencers (INCOMING!)

I'm in the process of ordering a Sidewinder head and 2x12 cab with blues from Victor. I'm trying to decide whether to go for the darker coyote voicing or the standard Sidewinder voicing (brighter). Obviously i'll be discussing it with the man but additional opinions couldn't hurt so if you have...
  11. D

Real celluloid?

Anyone know a source for celluloid pickguard material? I mean proper stuff that smells of menthol or mothballs or whatever when you heat it, not the printed plastic stuff everyone sells. Only place i've seen celluloid guards these days is on fender custom shop guitars, they must get it from...
  12. D

How many electric guitars...

..would you say you need to cover the range of noises you like to make? I seem to need 3 or 4 different guitars to cover it since i like long and short scale sounds. Maybe a LP, a junior or special and a Tele i could manage with but i need at least those three styles. I had hoped to get by...
  13. D

Ebony boards

What do ebony boards generally do for the tone, attack/sustain of a guitar compared to RW, in your opinion. I know it's a harder wood, so i guess it has a snappier attack. Is it brighter? Clearer? Less softness/sag to the attack? Also is cracking a problem in your experience? Does it expand...
  14. D

Korina McCarty...or?

I'm looking for something, a set neck, probably all mahogany or Korina solid body guitar, looking specifically for upper mid chime, clarity, snap. Still with some snarl but lower mid honk isn't the goal. Think of the thin slab bodied gibsons (SG/Junior/Firebirds) type of sounds but with a...
  15. D

Anyone played a Collings CL with P-90s?

If so, what did you think? Or similarly, has anyone tried HB sized P-90s in their CLs. I want another Collings, i have a CL and a 290 and i'm thinking of something a little different, maybe even the new 360. I'm gassing for something with a flame top, i've just got gas for a new guitar, and some...
  16. D

Help me fine tune my Swart STR.

Been doing a bit of speaker and tube tweaking lately, i have my other 2 amps, a CJ11 and Mojave Coyote sounding fantastic, but i think my STR still has room for improvement. It's an original STR, stock except for a GE 6v6 and 5y3. I'm happy as larry with the way it breaks up, and the voicing...
  17. D

Dented Alnico Blue-Please take a look

I just got this blue today, it's brand new. It has a dent/deformation in the endbell. I don't know if it's from manufacturing or shipping but the frame is totally straight, and sits perfectly flat, it's just the endbell/cover. I'm just wondering if this is critical, if it's not i'll just keep...
  18. D

Help!!! Mouldy Mojave, need cleaning tips.

Oh dear, here goes. Around 18 months ago i decided to sell my Coyote Combo, this thing was split mint ,A1, having never left my music room from new. I decided to try the dealer i bought it from to see if he'd be interested and he was very keen to have it on consignment, very entheusiastic about...
  19. D

Soundproofing specs, please advise.

I could use a little help, if anyone has experience with this stuff that could advise. I'm building a music room, it's a converted garage and i'll be living in the apartment we're building above. I've just been given the specs by the builder for the soundproofing. I'm looking for as much...
  20. D

Lollar imperials - need 250k pots in the bridge?

I'm trying to get my Collings CL dialed in,the bridge pup has always been unuseably thin and bright,ear damagingly so.Only had one 250k pot around so i've put that in as the bridge vol and it's miles better,waiting on some other pots and caps to experiment with. I'm not ready to go changing...
  21. D

Swart Space Tone Reverb

I've had one of these on order for a couple of weeks and the suspense is killing me.I ordered it based on the clips really,to me in the clips it sounded very princeton reverb mixed with a bit of tweed,i think the amp sounds very musical in the clips. So who's played/heard one? What did you...
  22. D

Colorsound One Knob Fuzz Box

:) :) :) Oh my! What a fuzz! i bought this on a whim,out of curiosity mainly.only thing i knew about it was this http://www.colorsound.co.uk/product_full.asp?productID=140&typeID=27&catID=5 . it's not fat and sustainy like a tonebender MKII and it's not spitty, sizzly or raspy like a...