• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Search results

1. Mike

What's the Difference between a Jazz Amateur & a Pro

This came up in my necrofeed, so sorry if I'm repeating here. The guys I played with had, easily, 200 songs memorized and could execute them - all or in part - in 12 keys. They used to laugh at me - on the bandstand - for pulling up a chart.
  2. Mike

The best lesson on improv you will find. Peter Farell content

GB in Music Radar a year ago: 7. Dave Creamer “He is another great creator of new ideas and has this totally new approach to guitar. It will probably catch on in the next 20 years, because that’s how far behind him we are, haha! “I met him over 30 years ago, and went to his house because...
  3. Mike

http://www.davecreamer.com/TheOctatonicSystem.html
  4. Mike

What makes Jim Kelley amps so special?

It was so heavy I weighed it out of curiosity. 80 lbs. :)
  5. Mike

What makes Jim Kelley amps so special?

I've posted this many times, but what the hell. I owned this amp for five years or so.
  6. Mike

Yeah, I like him along with Barry Greene and Sheryl Bailey for their modern take within that more what I would call "traditional" style. I've learned a ton from the latter two's instructional videos. Coincidentally Jesse, Lage, and Kurt were all Thelonius Monk competition winners, where I...
  7. Mike

I've watched 20+ hours of Peter's vids and a friend of mine edited the books. As a womb-to-tomb method for learning how to play jazz guitar, his method ranks way up there. I think what is amazing about what Peter did was that he reverse-engineered and codified what I consider to be a genius...
  8. Mike

...the Tuck Andress Picking Article from 2+ decades ago..pick mechanics

Just got off a FB Live with Tuck, where he goes into great detail about this topic, with ample demonstrations.
  9. Mike

Jazz Education

That IS funny!
  10. Mike

Jazz Education

No chord-scales. :)
  11. Mike

Jazz Education

I just read a very in-depth interview by Ethan Iverson (The Bad Plus) with Gunther Schuller, who had zero formal music education. Also of note (at least for me), all of my favorite guitarists who came from Berklee do not use what they were taught verbatim there but rather went on to develop...
  12. Mike

Learning Jazz Standards vs. Learning Modern Jazz Tunes

Lots to mine here: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=rick+beato+composition
  13. Mike

NGD - Tim Rocco Rattlecaster - Thanks Tim & Chuck D 'Aloia!

Yeah, thanks. He nailed, I mean NAILED the cosmetics I wanted and the neck (both feel and look) is better than I had hoped. I had been obsessing over it for a year before I ordered it.
  14. Mike

Boner City my friend! Hey, that should be the name of my next band....
  15. Mike

Learning Jazz Standards vs. Learning Modern Jazz Tunes

Do you want to write and play stuff on solo guitar? There are physical strategies for solo guitar, do you have that together to the extent you need to be able to do what you want to do? If you're more into jazz-style composition regardless of instrument, I really like this one:
  16. Mike

Putting this out there as a "thank-you" to Tim and Chuck. Very happy with this guitar. Roasted Alder/Maple, '59-ish Gib. profile Rosewood board, clay dots, rolled edges, 1 5/8 nut, 12" radius Frets between 6105 and 6150 Nitro, tinted binding and pickguard Vintage tuners, Callaham bridge...
  17. Mike

Jazz teacher in Bay Area

@macrofor, if you do take a lesson from Dave, report back with your impressions. I haven't seen him in over 20 years. :)
  18. Mike

Jazz teacher in Bay Area

Looking at (one example) 4-note chords as 4 interval sets and finding their enharmonic equivalents. This can provide a basis for coming up with cool substitutions.
  19. Mike

Jazz teacher in Bay Area

Wow, first time I've seen that non-sharing function used on youTube. Yeah, Dave's been teaching for a looong time. Students include Tuck Andress, Rory Stuart, Will Bernard, Jason Becker, Josh Workman. Here's one he wrote from 1975. I cued it to his solo and ridiculous written line afterward...
  20. Mike

Jazz teacher in Bay Area

One lesson from Dave kept me busy for years. Mike
  21. Mike

TR Kimock Amp

Here's one more I found from that era. Mike
  22. Mike

TR Kimock Amp

Thanks Ed, those two were me. The first clip was a guy who came over to try the amp out. Mike
  23. Mike

TR Kimock Amp

Public service announcement, my amp from 2006. Mike