• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Search results

1. Jim Soloway

POLL: What is the biggest enemy of Guitar Players....?

A lack of intellectual and artistic commitment.
  2. Jim Soloway

H.E.R. was incredible on SNL last night

She's a serious talent. I thought her Grammy tribute to Aretha was outstanding.
  3. Jim Soloway

Who started the "spare, clean" '90's guitar sound?

I think it would be hard to overstate how important Frisell has been. He's been hugely influential.
  4. Jim Soloway

Playing around with “Wave” on Solo Guitar

I've been playing solo guitar for years and I think that not trying to do too much is always the big challenge. It's something of an exercise in humility. Avoid the temptation to showcase your playing and instead just focus on the song. Figure out what you want the piece to say and then how...
  5. Jim Soloway

Playing around with “Wave” on Solo Guitar

Lovely rendition of a wonderful song.
  6. Jim Soloway

Emerald Guitars.

I have both an X7 (the little one) and an X10. Easily the most stable guitars I've ever owned. This is the X7. It has a really radical neck joint and for a 12 fret guitar, the upper fret access is spectacular. And this is the X10. Just a really enjoyable guitar to play both acoustically...
  7. Jim Soloway

comic relief:Jimmy Bruno rants...

I've had some personal contact with Jimmy, both in person at NAMM and on-line. I'm certainly biased by the fact that he's long been very supportive of my musical efforts but he's always been decent, kind and encouraging.
  8. Jim Soloway

INTERVALS explained - The Magical Unicorn World of Music Theory!

I am reminded of an oft repeated (and probably apocryphal) story that I have seen credited to a variety of legendary guitar players (including Chet Atkins, George Van Eps and Joe Pass). An audience member comes up to the legendary player and says "what a great sounding guitar" to which the...
  9. Jim Soloway

INTERVALS explained - The Magical Unicorn World of Music Theory!

I hate getting into threads that have been this contentious, especially when what I have to say could be interpreted as negative but I really don't agree with the OP's definition of an interval. He's described it as the sound that two pitches create when they are played together but at least in...
  10. Jim Soloway

Playing a Harley Benton Dullahan headless guitar into a Milkman "The Amp 50"

Soon. I'm debating though. I want to do both Black Orpheus and Gentle Rain for the never ending new album. I have two ways to do this. The first is just to treat the two as separate pieces (although with a similar vibe) and I already have that done. The second is to do them as a medley as a...
  11. Jim Soloway

Playing a Harley Benton Dullahan headless guitar into a Milkman "The Amp 50"

This is a slightly belated NAD and NGD. They both arrived in the last 10 days but we've been moving into the new house so things moved a little slowly. A quick update... The Harley Benton Dullahan-FT 24 Roasted is an absurdly inexpensive headless guitar with some luxury features. The neck and...
  12. Jim Soloway

Koa vs. Walnut for topwood?

One huge advantage to walnut: it's not a rare wood so you can be a lot more selective at a better price. There are at least two or three significant dealers in Oregon who can hook you up with some beautiful walnut for a decent price. Good koa is gorgeous but it's very rare and therefore very...
  13. Jim Soloway

Morgan James chosen to play lead in the Joni Mitchell Story

People have their own reasons for going to see a movie and they pay lot of money for the experience. You're essentially trying to tell them that their reason is wrong. That they should be looking for a different experience than the ones they have chosen. Say that to me and my response is not...
  14. Jim Soloway

Some beautiful playing by Ray Montford.

I'll never quite understand why Ray Montford remains so far under the radar. This is just beautiful.
  15. Jim Soloway

Hard for me to express how much I disagree with this statement. We all have our own needs and wants and as Paul Simon once said "One man's ceiling is another man's floor".
  16. Jim Soloway

Perhaps but that assumes that they're wrong and I'm not convinced that's true.
  17. Jim Soloway

Audiences are what they are. Without them you don't have much of reason to make movies.
  18. Jim Soloway

She does but there is a real flaw in biopics of iconic artists. Much of the audience never gets past the comparison to the original. Diana Ross was a superstar when she played Billie Holiday and she got trashed for not sounding like Billie. She actually sang those tunes pretty well but the...
  19. Jim Soloway

Colored by a huge amount of nicotine too.
  20. Jim Soloway

I don't think she sounds at all like Joni.
  21. Jim Soloway

Kiesel Sends Cease & Desist to Harley Benton

This. The only way you confuse the Dullahan with the Kiesel is if you never actually look at how they made the Dullahan a headless guitar. (Disclaimer: I just ordered a Dullahan. The other way you would never confuse the Dullahan with a Kiesel is if you compare the customer support)
  22. Jim Soloway

I'm looking for a few beta testers for my chord diagram/chart software

EDIT ... THANKS EVERYBODY. I HAVE LOTS OF VOLUNTEERS. I'LL CONTACT A FEW AND GET THIS ROLLING BUT I DEFINITELY WON'T NEED ANY MORE. THANKS FOR THE INTEREST AND HOPEFULLY THE NEXT TIME YOU HEAR ABOUT THIS IT WILL BE TO ANNOUNCE THE PRODUCT RELEASE. I'm getting ready to beta test a program...
  23. Jim Soloway

In honor of Melody Gardot releasing a new album next month...

The last few took me a while to get into and oddly, they ultimately become my favorites.