• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Search results

1. R

the genius of Prince?

When he hits that note and screams along at 3:43, you know you are listening to some kind of genius
  2. R

I'm sitting here laughing at how much you guys spend on pedals...

Ok guys, I've stopped laughing now. Thanks.
  3. R

I'm sitting here laughing at how much you guys spend on pedals...

And there is barely any audible difference between just about all of 'em. Here's 2 formulas: The better a musician hears/plays (and btw the two are inseparable - the better a person plays, the better they hear), the less he/she ****'s around w/ gear. The better a musician is, the easier it is...
  4. R

Bowie, Fripp, and "Heroes"

Classic song!! - but it has to hold the world record for the LAMEST lyric ever "written". Just mind-bendingly banal and plain DUMB!!!
  5. R

What does a good faux Leslie?

I was recently on the same search, and in my odyssey I discovered the: Digitech Multi Chorus. Firstly it is SUPER cheap. I refuse to pay more than 80 bucks for a pedal. Any pedal. So it passed that test. Then it sounds excellent. But it can't accept an xpression pedal - so that may be the...
  6. R

Keeping up a high level of technique

Sounds like you just joined my club, Joe. Upstream, I mentioned I know LOTS of musicians who talk a big game, maybe know lots of repertoire, are "seasoned", may have plenty chops, but still sound like shite. I have actually found this to be case most of the time. It is far rarer to meet a cat...
  7. R

Just had to share this Amp Fiddler video

That is KILLING, Mike. Thx for posting
  8. R

So who are the cutting edge "new generation" of guitar players, or any instrument

fn4grTb9Nyo XMsc5Heo2cc&feature=related TkSgWM8Fbtc&feature=related
  9. R

Keeping up a high level of technique

I don't see a lot of (pro/serious) guys who can't hang at 300 and above - it seems expected that all the players around nowadays have great chops - what I see ALL the time is musicians who don't actually construct a solo that is built from ideas/motifs. They may have incredible chops, know...
  10. R

So who are the cutting edge "new generation" of guitar players, or any instrument

Mike, Did you ever catch "Lost Tribe" back in the day? That band had Rogers and Gilmore, right? What were your impressions? (if you did get to hear them)
  11. R

Mike, this is compelling music.....what can you tell me about Binney?
  12. R

Check Miles Okazaki, Tigran Hamasyan, Sean Wayland, Ari Hoenig and his various bands....
  13. R

My soloing goes no where, where to start?

Right on Mike....it is amazing to me how many pretty "advanced" musicians can play the sh!t out of it, but can't construct a coherent solo that has a shape....it's actually more common to see shapeless solos than ones w/ an "arc"...
  14. R

Gershwin Et Al

TOTALLY with you....These cats were genius-level artists. Not a single syllable or note is not accounted for. Every word has been deliberated over, every melody has been refined, and the idea behind the songs - the song concept - is always timeless and has a definite "angle". These were not...
  15. R

Stern and McLaughlin together LIVE !!!

yeah....I could easily stand to never hear Jean-Pierre again. Johnny sounds so SQUARE, pure eye-watering WHITENESS, and Stern sounds like he always does....which is, well, er, um.....let's leave it there, shall we?
  16. R

In a sea of chops driven jazz and fusion guitarists, this guy still blows me away....

I really don't think it does hold up, actually. It sounds rushed, forced and mostly the opposite of swinging. Armstrong and Lester Young - the generation before - swung. CC didn't. I guess he was doing all he could to reinvent the guitar's role in jazz (no mean feat)....but swinging, he wasn't. IMO.
  17. R

Carlos Rios : Ripping yer 'ead off

Carlos' finest hour: that tone/sound is shockingly good at 1:45 AEjJ_QAx5JU
  18. R

Why does my Lotus Drive "Pop" when I kick it?

Hi guys, a dumb question (I'm sure) It "pops" thru the amp when I click it on....Why does it do this? and how could I remedy the problem? Thanks for any advice!
  19. R

Let's give it up for Chick Corea!

There are no words to describe Corea's genius. In a world filled with many superhuman musicians, he is outstanding. A one of a kind musician.
  20. R

Who remembers Terence Trent D'Arby?

FREAKING G R E A T singing!!!! YIKES!!!!!!!
  21. R

Okay, I'm Convinced Brian May has the Best Tone Ever

To all the folks that disagree w/ my thesis about live Queen being not that great: Show me a performance of ANY pop band where the live version (and remember MANY live rock/pop performances are "tweaked" afterwards) is better than the studio version....Yeah I THOUGHT SO, NOT A SINGLE ONE....
  22. R

Okay, I'm Convinced Brian May has the Best Tone Ever

I personally loathe live Queen.(But ADORE the studio recordings). They are a studio band. Their live shows were HORRIBLE musically, because they just could never replicate the recordings....and they weren't really great players in the jamming sense. Taylor has modest playing skills, Deacon the...