• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Search results

1. Guinness Lad

Are Champs really as good recording amps as their reputation?

It's like anything, what can you do with it? I used an amp sim on a blues song I wrote and I bet if I never told you you would think it was an awesome tweed amp. When playing at lower volumes many things sound about the same, especially large to small of the same family.
  2. Guinness Lad

Dialing in vintage AC30 with a Tele

Think of the tone control as +5 and -5 rather than 0-10. This is the biggest issue most players face. You want control, only being able to darken the tone takes away 61% of your options.
  3. Guinness Lad

New tubes + re-bias = AWESOME Shiva tone! (vid)

Really like my silver panels but I can’t get the eh tubes below 29ma. Eh tubes aren’t tough, but they are gt brand. Maybe they are something else but I don’t know what. A great sounding amp for sure.
  4. Guinness Lad

Opinions on Meeting up for amp purchases

You could have put the amp in a different room and closed the door to all your goodies. Once a discussion starts on what kind of gear you have, just deflect and move on to another topic. No one says you have to parade people through your home.
  5. Guinness Lad

Opinions on Meeting up for amp purchases

I bought a Bogner Shiva, guy sent me a camera video. Amp works fine. You’re overthinking it.
  6. Guinness Lad

There’s a Mesa sound, a Dumble Sound, but What IS the Soldano sound?

Not really, thanks for playing.
  7. Guinness Lad

I mean not as loud as when using 6l6’s.
  8. Guinness Lad

The kt66 is sweeter and as described above. Also seems quieter. So Fatbagg gets it now, that’s great. Once heard live it’s a different deal, almost primal, it just has something going on that video cannot capture.
  9. Guinness Lad

What amp is that, sounds Slo like. I usually eq it a little sweeter, but great sound no matter.
  10. Guinness Lad

New amp decision... Bogner vs. Rivera

Have a Shiva head and had a Fandango. I like both but would be hard pressed to say which one to buy. The Rivera was owned 4 years ago, the Shiva now. I do know I would never buy a Shiva combo, far too heavy. The Rivera has a better loop.
  11. Guinness Lad

Any new opinions of the Hellatone A25 Alnico from Avatar?

Two huge problems, it's a tweed amp and it's 5 watts. You'll never get what you seek totally wrong amp and wattage.
  12. Guinness Lad

Usually it's inside or outside, not sure on this one however. Worst that would happen is it wouldn't play because only 1/2 the signal is amplified. Can't say this is totally true though.
  13. Guinness Lad

It's great, another speaker which sounds great with the gb128 is the Celestion classic lead 80, it gives you the sparkle missing on the clean channel.
  14. Guinness Lad

A J design oval back diagonal 2x12 with Eminence gb128 speakers.
  15. Guinness Lad

I have a Bogner Shiva to make it sound similar to my slo I have to run the bass at 1. The slo would have everything at 5. The slo will be bright but it will be balanced. The eq on the Shiva is not balanced, if all controls set the same.
  16. Guinness Lad

With my slo the providence chrono and nux roctary sound great. Many pedals work in this amp just google it someone made a list. The slo can do anything, it just depends what channel you use. On the lead side I seldom go past 4 on the pregain. You should start with all the eq controls at 5, from...
  17. Guinness Lad

Soldano SLO 30

I have a lot, it depends upon speakers used, how much gain, and mostly how you play. I play with a super light touch and fingers. My guitar on 10, is your's on 7. I almost have to have a 100 watt amp just because of this. Loudest I had my SLO was at my house and I had the gain on 8 with the...
  18. Guinness Lad

How do you dial in your amp?

If a new amp, I set similar to what Kimock does because it works. Turn up each control to see where it really kicks in. Do this with each control, once you did each one, go back and set each control to where you remember it really making a difference. Once this done you should have a pretty...
  19. Guinness Lad

Best High Gain Amp

Pretty sure best is Soldano slo100, while others can be good, the Soldano has “it”.
  20. Guinness Lad

Thread formerly titled: Carol-Ann amps shutting down?

Many small builders have come and gone, Reinhardt, Guytron, Sampson, Budda, Carol Ann, Tone King, And many more. I remember reading Render's biggest competition is Fender. With so many used amps out there, there isn't a huge need to buy new, especially if you are willing to buy used. Add this...
  21. Guinness Lad

Amp not feeding back...

Long plate 12ax7 in the early gain stages. Sovtek LPS in V1 or V2, also phase inverter. Your amp will feedback.
  22. Guinness Lad

Blew a pair of 2 rock Eminence 65s. Are Celestions better for Dumbles??

Eminence gb128 speakers are cheap and sound as good as anything else. Gb style but a little less midrange, works with almost anything. Makes the Celestions I do have seem a little harsh.
  23. Guinness Lad

"Portable Rig" Suggestions!

Fryette GP/DI. It is a 1.5 watt amp which can be used into a PA, speaker, or computer. It has an effects loop and three channels. There is a full eq and a cab simulator. It also has a boost and the ability to patch in a I=pod or other mp3 so you can jam along with the backing track. This is...
  24. Guinness Lad

We love Bogner Amps

Never, but I have a SLO100, kind of don't need.
  25. Guinness Lad

We love Bogner Amps

I’m finding with my shiva if I run with the bass almost off I get rid of the bloated low mids which I really dislike. Since I play with fingers I lose a lot of highs so it skews the sound towards more bassz by doing this I make thd amp playable on the lead channel. Still will probably sell it...