• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Search results

1. elambo

NI announce Guitar Rig 6 Pro

Two of my coworkers have NI hardware which has been buggy for quite a while. Not old gear. Current stuff. Updates don't fix the issues. I've been pretty lucky with NI gear.
  2. elambo

NI announce Guitar Rig 6 Pro

Guitar Rig is good for effect-based tones. For basic, raw amp sound, not as much. Bypassing GR's amps and swapping in others is a great option. Best of both worlds. I'd never use GR for legit amp-focused tone. Maybe GR6 will be a major upgrade in that way.
  3. elambo

Surprised by S-gear

Amp sims are approaching the point where they'll stop trying to emulate hardware, instead taking the art & science of guitar tone to the next level, doing things hardware cannot, circumnavigating their limitations. Imagine the phrase "why would you still use hardware amps" becoming an acceptable...
  4. elambo

The best Mesa Boogie amp sim to date, ML-5

I demoed this when it first came out before realizing (or caring) which amp it was emulating. My primary concern was the clean channels (I tend to use pedals into clean amps for distortion) and was immediately impressed by the Fat channel in particular. I've never heard a sim so dynamic. I've...
  5. elambo

Neon Egg Planetarium (Delay, Reverb, Sidechain Compression)

They've updated to V2 now. But t thing still fails to make waves online, despite the high cool factor and potential for creative sounds. I jumped on the waiting list.
  6. elambo

Anybody know what happened to the Collings Forum?

http://www.collingsforum.net/forum/
  7. elambo

A Collings Forum...

It's in its infancy, but I'll just go ahead and leave this here: http://www.collingsforum.net/forum/
  8. elambo

Anybody know what happened to the Collings Forum?

I'm the moderator of that forum. The site needs a larger home so the admin is searching for an ideal place. He's a busy tech guy himself and time hasn't been on his side. When it resurfaces it will contain all the data from the previous site, and, hopefully, a much-needed software upgrade.
  9. elambo

What happened to the Collings forum?

I'm the moderator of that forum. There was never a cyber attack so you're info is secure. The site needs a larger home so the admin is searching for an ideal place. He's a busy tech guy himself and time hasn't been on his side. When it resurfaces it will contain all the data from the previous...
  10. elambo

TIM vs TIMMY

Old thread but I searched for the topic (to see if others were hearing what I was hearing) and found this. I've had both for years and there's definitely a difference between my Tim and Timmy. I prefer the Tim -- it feels more organic and open. The Timmy feels a bit processed in comparison. I...
  11. elambo

Klon KTR - diode got fried. Which type and where to buy?

I don't remember ever applying 18v to this pedal, it was just a theory based upon the failure I'm seeing. I'm typically responsible with power and only push 18v to my Tim and a couple BJF pedals. But something's wrong and even attempting to plug in 9v to this KTR forces my power supply to turn...
  12. elambo

Well how 'bout that. The term "diode" should have been the clue that there are two elements to that part and that it looks normal. OK, so it's not $.10 and a quick solder job. My initial plan was to send it to Alchemy, until I thought it might be super simple.
  13. elambo

Yes, I do have a pic. Can I post directly to the forum? I don't currently use online photo sites.
  14. elambo

Inside, I can see that the two "essential" diodes have blown. The wire is severed in both. Fingers crossed that it doesn't go beyond that and into the areas you're discussing. I should add that the pedal works when powered by a battery.
  15. elambo

I don't know exactly what happened but I know that those two diodes are toast.
  16. elambo

The two diodes at the "these are essential" location on the KTR's board have been fried when 18v was accidentally plugged into the pedal. I need to order two new diodes but there's the question about *exactly* which type they are, and then where to buy them. Any assistance?
  17. elambo

Klon ktr repair needed

I'm going through the same thing now after moving across country. The only source of power which operates the pedal is the battery -- no wall wart will power it, and when I try the wart it starts to smell of faint burning and I can see a tiny spark as I insert the power cable. The ribbon cable...
  18. elambo

Schroeder Blister Agent - Overdrive/Distortion/Boost/Filter

It's a great pedal. I'm not yet qualified to say what it does and doesn't do because I've only played through it for a 1/2 hour but I can say without a doubt that it's first class and will get a lot of use. I have far too many similar pedals on my board and in boxes but feel that this one will...
  19. elambo

More reviews are on their way... ;)
  20. elambo

Yes, I'm a huge fan of Schroeder amps. In fact, when Nels switched to the DB9 I bought his old DB7 (old... pfft, it's like new and in perfect condition). Tim, who's become a good friend, brought it up to near-DB9 specs. It's phenomenal. The term hi-fi is used for good reason as it's a solid...
  21. elambo

I grabbed one today as well. No need to hear it - Tim's work is always as-good-as-it-gets. I noticed that there's one from '08 or '09 on Reverb.com asking $1,200 (doesn't mean they'll get it). Can't wait to hear it. Congrats Purple Jesus! (and the 10 others who were able to snag one from this run)
  22. elambo

Schroeder DB7

Don't sweat it. Odds are you'll be fine.
  23. elambo

Schroeder DB7

...and you won't know how much life is left. "Almost" is a rather loose term, easily abused. New is unused, and if there's harshness you can burn in the tube yourself. That's easy, and common, but you can't put life back into a used tube.