• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Search results

1. hogy

Allen Eden paulownia strat body

Well, visually at least, anything would have been an improvement over that amateur hour "relic" job body.
  2. hogy

'73 beater Strat, to rout or not?

If by "rock machine" you mean a lot of output to overdrive an amp with, maybe. Other that that, it sounds nothing like a humbucker. The way a humbucker 'reads' the string in two distinctly different spots is what makes it.
  3. hogy

Wet/Dry/Wet explained and demonstrated...

Yes, Mike will reply to you in a minute.
  4. hogy

Yes.
  5. hogy

In the market for a 60s Strat, what to look for?

That's simply not even remotely true. I can't even remember any "twisted" '60s Fender necks in three decades of working on them. Swollen heel areas resulting in a bit of "ski sloping" under the last few frets occasionally. But even that is rare and unrelated to string tension. '50s one-piece...
  6. hogy

@The Opera Panther Blix has it right. We have black AmbiKab Juniors in stock. Custom color orders are possible, but will take more time. Send an e-mail to info@kometamps.com for details. Hogy, Komet Amplification
  7. hogy

'73 beater Strat, to rout or not?

I did that to a '72 Strat lately, along with flattening the fingerboard radius, new EVO frets. Also removed the poly from the neck and did an oil finish. Its owner wanted it that way.
  8. hogy

NGD - Custom Color Fender Offset

A previous owner did something cool on mine. Transformer end bell screwed to the underside of the tray, with speaker jacks and a jack for the foot switch (on the side).
  9. hogy

My guess: sunburst, original finish, $12-17k.
  10. hogy

There are great Strats in every era, but they fall in groups that share characteristics. Late '56, most of '58, last three months of '64 are such groups that are remarkably consistent. Maybe it's one truckload of wood, maybe it's that batch of magnets and wire, whatever it is. Guitars in those...
  11. hogy

There's no simple answer to your question. Get in there and be prepared to buy, sell, trade until you find the one. You'll know it when you see it. If you have specific questions along the way, come back here. Or, if you want the shortcut, buy a Strat made from September to December of 1964.
  12. hogy

New Project

hang in there, couple of gigs coming up early next month.
  13. hogy

New Project

@Laurent Brondel Parallel resistor trick worked great! With a 500k pot the PAF has its chirp and breathiness back. Single coils sound as they should, too. This really could not have come out any better.
  14. hogy

New Project

Damn! Great minds think alike... :)
  15. hogy

Is the UA OX the best solution for SILENT playing?

It is to me. I use it for all my late-at-night playing at home. The key to me was to get into the app and start sculpting. Took me a while, because I'm an analog man, but it's very easy and intuitive. In the end I was able to tailor setups that work way better for me than the factory presets. I...
  16. hogy

New Project

Cool, I'll try the resistors today. I have tried 500k with vintage Strat pickups before, and I'll have to disagree there. I don't like the way it sounds, it makes it too spikey and splatty. But then there is nothing my ear is as tuned to as a vintage Strat single coil, and I'm super picky...
  17. hogy

I put SS frets on my vintage Gibson and...

It's way more than pitch. Listen to the entire spectrum. Then take a tuning fork a strike it. Try again and touch it to a wooden table. Hear a difference? That's what happens when the frets go on the board. What you hear is amplified, not dampened.
  18. hogy

New Project

Vintage Strat with bridge PAF used to devastating effect:
  19. hogy

NGD - Custom Color Fender Offset

Yes, mine's not nearly as clean, and it's a head. But those are very rare. I've heard that less than 100 were made?
  20. hogy

New Project

I thought the same thing when I found this guitar. Had Hiram Bullock's album back in the day, with this Strat on the cover. Looks like his was a slab board?
  21. hogy

New Project

I was thinking about that. Have you tried it? Interesting tidbit of useless info, I have a good friend who is Michael Schenker's age and grew up up knowing him. Back the there was no aftermarket parts market, certainly not in Germany. My friend tells me Schenker was always looking for "Fender...
  22. hogy

New Project

You could, but the manual of arms of a Stratocaster is so ingrained in my subconscious, it would trip me up. I play with my pinky on the volume all the time, and I constantly adjust without even thinking about it. It's total autopilot at this point.
  23. hogy

New Project

So, more about the guitar. The bridge pickup rout made no difference to the "resonance" or acoustic sound of the guitar. We're good here, thanks. This particular PAF is very "fendery", as early PAFs are. Neck and middle pickups are now a couple of original '61 Strat pickups from my parts...
  24. hogy

New Project

Not ruling out the WRH. Just taking baby steps. I wanted to hear thus particular PAF in it. Have had that pickup for a very long time. It’s been in a lot of guitars and always sounded great. Turns out it is a perfect fit here.