• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Search results

1. B

Van Halen to continue? Debunked!

Fleetwood Mac are still going many years after losing Peter Green who was vocalist, lead guitarist and wrote all their songs.
  2. B

Paul Reed Smith ....give me a break

This thread has helped me come to a realisation - some people like PRS and some people don't. Thanks everyone.
  3. B

How did you learn to play eruption?

I first heard it in the mid 80's but by then EVERYONE was tapping. Every local band, regardless of the type of music, the guitarist was going to go tappity tap in most of the songs. I decided not to bother. Actually, I haven't seen anyone doing it for years.
  4. B

Paul Reed Smith ....give me a break

Wait a few weeks and you'll be able to pick a used one up for $11,500.
  5. B

Is “Miracles” by Jefferson Starship the weirdest arrangement in pop music?

Never heard that song before. I quite liked it but I didn't find anything particularly unusual about it. I was expecting something really weird. I like The Shaggs so perhaps that accounts for it.
  6. B

Your #1

One of these. Mine has upgraded tuners and Bare Knuckle Abraxas pickups. Plays like a dream and sounds amazing. The first time I picked it up in a shop it felt like home.
  7. B

Lyrics that didn't age well.

Skweeze Me, Pleeze Me - Slade. 'And I thought you'd might like to know When a girl's meaning yes, she says no'
  8. B

20 watt amp for exquisite classic rock tones?

It doesn't sound shrill in the flesh. Some folks have criticised it for not being toppy enough. It certainly doesn't have the traditional fender top end.
  9. B

I've never played the DSL combo or the EVH. I've played a few DSL heads and didn't like them at all. I would have thought that the EVH amps were tailor made for the tones you're looking for.
  10. B

I had a Peavey Bravo 25w combo years ago. Long since discontinued. The clean channel was rather bland. The o/d side was very creamy and smooth - no bite and not at all Marshall like. It disappeared in a band mix. I don't think it would suit you at all.
  11. B

Have you tried one ? You can get a great crunch on the medium gain setting. I hit mine with a clean boost when the mood takes me and it really cuts. Try this from around 7:30 mins: And this from 4:15:
  12. B

Fender Bassbreaker 15. I love mine but you should try one first if you have the opportunity.
  13. B

P.A.F question

I was just curious that, given the amount of pickup makers that claim to have dissected loads of original PAFs, whether there are any still left in the wild. In a blind test I couldn't tell the difference between a 58 PAF and a copy that was made yesterday. Don't care much either.
  14. B

P.A.F question

Can you re-assemble a pickup after it's been dissected to the degree required for it to surrender it's secrets ? I dissected a frog once, never managed to put it back together.
  15. B

P.A.F question

' Developed over many years of careful repair, dissection and study of original PAF pickups'. This is taken from a boutique manufacturer's advertising blurb but I've seen it used by many other pickup manufacturers. How many original PAFs were made ? Are there any still in existence or have they...
  16. B

Is your guitar really in tune? Producer, musician Eric Valentine demonstrates the many factors of tuning

What about Buzz Feiten, Earvana etc ? I imagine that they would only alter the way in which your guitar is out of tune ?
  17. B

Early Jimi review:

I love Jimi. I only posted this for historic interest.
  18. B

Early Jimi review:

In 1967 Jimi appeared at Sussex University which is in my hometown of Brighton in the U.K. If you look this up on the FB page 'Brighton Past' there are some photos which apparently were taken by Alvin Lee.
  19. B

Help "Fatten Up" Tone

TC Electronic Spark Booster (not the mini) has Fat and Mid boost options which are really good. Use a bit less gain and hit it with the Spark. They're cheap too.
  20. B

PRS pickups question

If you put core model pickups in an S2 Singlecut would there be a noticeable difference in tone between the core and the S2 ?
  21. B

Yngwie Malmsteen: Your Thoughts

I've never been able to listen to him for more than a few seconds. He's sold a lot of albums so I don't think he's too worried about my opinion.
  22. B

Which amp(s) were you most excited to try in person but let down by when you played them?

My efforts to find a small modelling combo have been disastrous. Blackstar TVP 15 - awful. Some Vox thing - even worse. But the prize goes to the Katana 50 - utter garbage, not one usable sound in it.
  23. B

Johnny Ramone

I'll never forget the day I heard the first Ramones album. It hit me like a ton of bricks. Still sounds incredible.
  24. B

Are any other guitarists as significant as Jimi and EVH?

I started playing at age 16 in 1974. At that time all guitar players knew the basics of Chuck Berry's style. We could all play the intro to Johnny B. Goode. In my case, very badly. I didn't hear EVH until Beat It. I remember the first time I heard it I thought 'What the hell was that ?' The...
  25. B

Would you buy an SG or a Firebird?

I've had both and I'd go for the SG. The Firebird was bigger than me.