• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Search results

1. I

Vendor Simple Leather Guitar Straps | McMurray and Blonde

Tried to order a double door adjustable and got this: TGP discount code isn’t valid for the items in your cart
  2. I

‘66 Tele with vintage wiring - change to modern? (Pics Added)

Wire it the way you want. Personally, I like a four-way switch on a Tele and I wire mine so it's bridge, bridge and neck in parallel, bridge and neck in series, and neck on its own. Works well for my needs. Cheers, -- Don
  3. I

What do YOU do to a Vintage guitar when you first get it to make it playable?

Tune it. Frets if needed, complete setup, pickup height adjustment, and that's about it.
  4. I

Thinking about buying vintage as a sort of investment.

I'm assuming you're a guitar player. Buy a guitar that inspires you without regard to whether you'll make money on it in the long run. That is secondary . . . way secondary. If you buy a great guitar and you bond with it, then who the hell cares if it appreciates in value? Guitars aren't...
  5. I

Broadcaster 0084 at Norman's

This. Way back in the 70s, I was into playing flatpicked bluegrass tunes. I went through a lot of new Martins and none of them ever really did it for me. Once day I found a '54 D-28 and played it. Unreal. The difference between this guitar and all the other Martins I owned was substantial...
  6. I

Vintage Champs

From the engineer, Howard Albert, who worked on the album: If you looked through the control-room glass, the piano was to the left, and on top of the piano, which had the lid closed, were our [Fender Tweed] Champ amps that Eric and Duane both used. Tom Dowd, the producer, mentioned something...
  7. I

Klon Centaur, should I let it go??

I paid $160 for mine back in the 90s and decided to sell it when they reached $1800. Before I did, I got a KTR and A/B'd them and didn't hear any difference worth noting so I sold the original one and put the KTR on my board. Don't regret it a bit. Cheers, -- Don
  8. I

Guitar Safari!

Man, now that's a blast from my past. I grew up in East Long Beach and actually bought a brand new Fender 75 there in the early 80s. Haven't thought of that place in decades. Cheers, -- Don
  9. I

Post your COVID acquisitions NGD!

Well, it's pretty much all original and sounds pretty fantastic. It's light (6.75lbs.) and very resonant unplugged. You can feel it vibrate in your hands. All guitars do this to one extent or another but this one really does. All pickups have usable sounds and I was surprised by how cool the...
  10. I

Thanks. I've been looking for quite a while and this one popped up on Reverb. Story is the father bought it new and then handed it down to his son. By the looks of the guitar, though, neither played it all that much. After comparing it closely to a few others, I decided to start negotiations...
  11. I

Decided to treat myself to something special so here's my "new" 1956 Hardtail Stratocaster. I'm the second owner. Cheers, -- Don
  12. I

People you were surprised to find out were good on guitar

Marty Stuart. I always figured he was just a country boy with great hair and then I heard him play "Clarence." If anyone ever deserved to own Clarence White's B-Bender, it's Marty. He can stand on stage with anyone and keep up no problem. Phenomenal player.
  13. I

Luthier in Riverside or San Diego Counties

Thanks for the recommendations! Chris finally got in touch but if he's too busy I'll definitely check out these other folks. Cheers, -- Don
  14. I

Luthier in Riverside or San Diego Counties

Looking for a good guitar tech/luthier in Riverside or San Diego counties. I have some stuff that needs to be done on a couple of vintage guitars and need someone competent and reliable. I used to use Chris Camp in Escondido but he's not answering emails or his phone these days. Anyone know...
  15. I

Which low output P90 for this old Gibson ?

This just popped up in the classifieds. BTW, I have a set of '53 P-90s in my 2000 R6 and they aren't ever coming out. https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/1950s-gibson-p90.2171672/
  16. I

WTB 1957 Stratocaster

Thanks, but I found one. Good luck with your sale! Looks like a great guitar! Cheers, -- Don
  17. I

Vintage Champs

You like Derek and the Dominios? Most of the guitars were recorded through a Champ. Cheers, -- Don
  18. I

WTB 1957 Stratocaster

Well, judging by how long some of these guitars have been listed, I would have thought they'd be interested in moving them. What are "general questions"? My experience so far with dealers has been less than stellar. Here's one example. There's a nice '58 for sale with four pictures listed...
  19. I

WTB 1957 Stratocaster

Yeah, I've encountered the same but know this will take time and patience. Hell, most dealers don't seem to know how to communicate these days. I guess they've got more money than they need and don't need customers! We live in a time where communication has never been easier or quicker and...
  20. I

WTB 1957 Stratocaster

Well, I've looked at pretty much what the usual dealers have in stock and found a few nice ones but I thought I might as well check on here in case someone has one they want to sell. Must be 100% or close. Not interested in a refin, changed pickups, etc. I don't have a problem with a refret...
  21. I

Any reason not to plek a vintage guitar?

Amen. I have a '54 D-28 that's in immaculate cosmetic shape and I've owned it since '77. After years of playing flat-picked bluegrass tunes HARD, it needed work and I put it off for a LONG time because I was afraid it would mess with the tone. I really didn't give a **** about whether or not...
  22. I

Age demographics for vintage guitar enthusiasts

I'll be 65 next month and own one vintage guitar, which is a '54 D-28 that I bought back in '77 when I was actively playing bluegrass all the time. It will be handed down to my daughter and she can do whatever she wants with it. I've never been a GASsy guy and tend to keep what I buy. In over...
  23. I

Saddest songs ever

"What Am I Living For" -- Mark-Almond. The live version on the album 73 captures the mood best. Cheers, -- Don
  24. I

Sold Dunlop Univibe

The big ol' stainless steel one. Works as it should with power adapter. $125 shipped via US Priority Mail (CONUS only) and Paypal'd. Cheers, -- Don
  25. I

Sold Fryette Power Station 2 -- As New

Pretty much pulled it out of the packaging and used it for one session. Maybe an hour or two on it at most. Ships in original box. Never got a manual but it would have been obsolete anyway since they've updated it. You can download it from Fryette. $600 shipped/Paypal'd in the...