• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Search results

1. D

custom graphic for guitar

Brett - Once again, thanks for your help. I checked out their web site and will contact them for details. best, Dave
  2. D

Hi Brett - Thanks for your post. The process you describe sounds practical and the least invasive, tone-wise. I did a search for Very Scary Productions, found their street address, but no web site. Do you have an email for these guys? thanks, Dave
  3. D

Jason - Thanks for your reply. The transfer of your mother's artwork onto that guitar is really impressive. If there is one guitar that you should never part with, it would be THAT ONE. Great way to honor here. BTW, I live in Bellevue, WA just outside of Seattle. Ever do gigs out this way...
  4. D

I think a protective clear coat would be appropriate for any custom paint job, decal, but I don't know how vinyl would react to it. I suppose there is some kind of clear coat that would be safe to use over a guitar finish and vinyl. I have used cut vinyl for signs and banners. Its great...
  5. D

Thanks for the recommendation. Wow, he does seriously nice airbrush artwork. However, I think airbrush or hand painting is overkill for what I'm after. The graphic I want to apply are just lines of black text. It would be tedious to do by hand, and I think there must be easier/less expensive...
  6. D

Hey, thanks for this info on guitarprinting.com, as this looks like a good solution. I'm concerned about how pliable the decal is, and how to deal with wrinkles as the decal wraps over the right arm bevel and outer edge body contour. I also wonder if the decal will shrink, or react poorly with...
  7. D

Thanks for the suggestion. I have used cut vinyl for signs and banners; it works great for those applications, but I think vinyl will be too thick. For me, it would be distracting to feel the edge of the vinyl as my arm rubs against it. Plus, it will probably wear off. We want something...
  8. D

I created a graphic design for a friend's new guitar. The guitar is being built, and the builder (who shall remain nameless) quoted a price of $1200 to hand paint the graphic. The graphic is entirely black text, and covers the entire front surface of the guitar body. Painting it by hand...
  9. D

Songwriting drum software.

Thanks to all who've posted thus far! EZ Drummer seems to be a popular choice, so I'll give that one a look. Regarding SSD's, photographer Lloyd Charles' web site has some good articles about SSD's for graphics work (photo editing, mostly)...
  10. D

The fast access time of SS drives would be great for sample libraries, but its beyond my immediate budget. Like all technology, performance and reliability will improve, capacities will go up and the prices will go down.
  11. D

Thanks for posting. Can you determine which of these two VI drum apps use the least amount of memory? Do either have options that can be de-selected to reduce the memory or CPU usage?
  12. D

Thanks for posting. My G5 already has the maximum amount of RAM (8GB) it can work with. I don't run any unnecessary apps while using PTLE, and try to keep CPU and RAM resources efficient. I will look into a 10k rpm drive for sample libraries, but I'd prefer to use a 7200 rpm, as they produce...
  13. D

Thanks for your reply. I'm aware of the advantages of the Intel MacPro and iMac models, but as I stated in my post, I want to explore my options with the PowerPC G5. (I just bought a MacPro 6-core, 4 hard drives, 16GB RAM, and CS5 software upgrades for my graphics work, and simply don't have...
  14. D

Until I can afford an Intel Mac, I need a virtual drum instrument for PTLE 8.0.1 that will perform well on my PowerPC G5. The G5 struggles when running virtual instruments, so I want to know about VI drums that put minimal strain on the CPU. My initial needs are to play back pre-recorded...
  15. D

Lovepedal Eternity on the way

Obviously, the Eternity pedals are very popular, and vary somewhat in character and tone. Combined with the different combinations of guitars, amps, and a particular guitarist's perception, the only way you'll know if you like one of the many variants of the Eternity pedals is to buy & try. I...
  16. D

Holy Fire Overdrive/Distortion Review

The pedal has 4 controls: gain, overdrive, distortion and a tone cut control, plus a single on/off foot switch. I got some very nice, mild overdrive using the gain and overdrive controls, but the distortion control didn't catch my ear in a good way. I tried it through a small combo amp, going...
  17. D

Holy Fire Overdrive/Distortion Review

I tried a Holy Fire at a guitar show a few weeks ago, and thought it was kind of cool as a clean-ish boost, or mild overdrive. I didn't care for the distortion tone at all; very unnatural. The build quality seems very good, and it seems to retain the guitar's tone better than other pedals I've...
  18. D

Nova System Appreciation

I found a great deal on a used NS, and overall it has exceeded my expectations. Although some of the effects aren't quite as good or have features that some of my individual pedals, they are still gig worthy. The advantages of the additional effects, user presets and intelligent interface for...
  19. D

Who went the modeling route and now owns no pedals and amps?

I bought my Eleven Rack primarily for recording, with the intent of trying it for live gigs. The 11R with a powered speaker appeals to me for ease of transport and fast set up. I just won't know until I buy a good powered speaker and try it with a full band. While the 11R's effects are...
  20. D

Eleven Rack with a Marshall EL34 50/50 or similar?

Thanks for the detailed description. From your reply, it sounds like the FRFR rig sounds a bit more "produced" than the Hafler/Avatar rig. Do you feel the Hafler/Avatar has a more familiar response and feel than the FRFR rig? Good info, and well described. Thanks for taking time to share...
  21. D

Eleven Rack with a Marshall EL34 50/50 or similar?

crazyForce - When using the 11R for a small venue (without the 11R feed into the PA), does the K12 work as well/better/worse than your Hafler powered Avatar cabinet? I presume you use somewhat different settings for these two configurations. Does the K12 give you the same kind of sonic...
  22. D

Mesa Black Shadow Speakers

In my LSC (with the smaller LSS 1x12 combo cabinet) the EVM12L has an overall better frequency balance than the MC90. The bass is more defined, and the top end is a bit less strident. However, I do think the MC90 is an affordable, very good sounding speaker if you need a single 12 that can...
  23. D

Mesa Black Shadow Speakers

While waiting to find a good deal on a replacement MC90, I tried an EVM12L I already had in my LSC. The speaker adds a LOT of extra weight to an already heavy amp, but after using it at a few gigs/jams/rehearsals, I'm tempted to leave it in there. I bought a used MC90 that I'll hang on to, but I...
  24. D

Mesa Lonestar Classic Review (Earned a WIHO Award)

The LSC tends to be a bass-heavy amp. Lowering the bass control (a lot), as well as the midrange control (which has a low frequency center) will help somewhat. I find the treble control on the LSC has a dramatic influence on both tone and gain, so spend some time with that. A popular...
  25. D

shipping to italy ??

Someone wants me to ship an outboard reverb unit to Germany via USPS. The buyer asked if he could pay with two PayPal payments, to reduce his import tax. I'd like to accommodate him, but don't want to compromise the insurance coverage, or cause problems at customs. For USPS international...