• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Search results

1. B

Carol Ann Amps - Thread XVII

Nice layout ..
  2. B

PM sent ..
  3. B

Welcome to the CA family .. and congrtas on the Silk. If you are anything like some of us here, it won't be your last Carol Ann I've had a tech work on a Revo recently, who said it was one of the best designed circuits he has had on the bench. "Standard" components, very good quality, no short...
  4. B

Speaker Choice for Carol Ann OD3r?

6L6's for me all the way. I found the V's dimished the tone a little, although they were nice enough. The bigger bottles just give that extra clarity and presence that I was missing. With masters as good as these, no issues in taming volume where nescessary, so the V's didn't give me anything...
  5. B

If it was my first CA, I would seriously be looking at this option https://reverb.com/item/35475184-carol-ann-custom-sd-60 If I didn't already have those bases covered, I would be adding this one to the clan. It has all the CA flexibility you could want, great clean, and BiasMon. IMHO, the...
  6. B

Interesting - you inspired me to fix the hum on my PRS Custom 50. Lived with it since I bought it off Bernie Marsden's tech, and thought it was "normal". Although I've never had amp generated hum with anything other than a Marshall before this Did the usual swaps with known good glass, until I...
  7. B

Stellar sound, great playing Bear The clarity and punch of a CA wound up to reasonable chat is hard to beat. I love these things :cool::cool:
  8. B

Usually straight in. I use Thorpy's for a different drive / hair flavour through cleans, but have no need for them on any of Alan's drive channels. I found pedals got in the way, but that may have been my inability to set them up properly to let the amp's drive tone through I've recently got a...
  9. B

I'm also a fan of G12T75's (UK made versions) with my CA's. I mention this because speaker choice seem to matter more than format through my rigs My Marshall 4x12 is loaded with roadworn G12's. It has tons of bite, and allows the spectrum of highs through. The PRS 2x12 is loaded with V30's and...
  10. B

Good to hear things are going well for you Alan :aok:aok:beer
  11. B

Carol-Ann's Alan Phillips announces new amp collaboration with Dr. Z

This one is on my list of "must try" amps. Last thing I need is another amp, but life really is too short :cool::cool: Can't wait for the demos, and the 240V versions to hit Europe
  12. B

So, been playing a lot more through this insane lockdown period, and CA's have been front and centre. The more I play these things, the more I appreciate how each excels in what it was designed to do Brilliant amps :cool::cool: Nuff said
  13. B

Changing Channels on Two or Three Amps Simultaneously

:D:D Looks awesome MkIIC+ Any chance of sound clips on the CA thread?
  14. B

May be worth a discussion with Carl, or your local tech I'm gassin' for a TR TS1, which have a MV that goes from zero to scream by 9am. My tech says he can sort it relatively quickly, without affecting the circuit's overall response, to make it more useable at studio volumes. We'll see when I...
  15. B

I'm with MkIIC+ The R Series don't push the power section like their "bigger" brothers, so unless it's spluttering, flubbing out or failing somehow, I'd stay with what you've got. If you do want to change the 88's, JJ's are robust and well priced. And on the R Seties, no need to rebias :)
  16. B

This from the CA website may help .. the Level pot is the FX loop, not the Master Gain: Sets the amount of 'Overdrive' Level: Sets the amount of signal to drive the efx loop, also changes the character of the overall tone. Typically set to 11 o clock to full. Treble Middle Bass Master: Overall...
  17. B

My Revo 1 MKII is now back where it belongs, having spent a few months in the hands of a session guitarist buddy of mine. He loved it's Marshall DNA with the Carol Ann twist and refinement During it's time away, I had forgotten what a brilliant and flexible beast this is. Upper mid sizzle...
  18. B

I would try swapping V1-3 separately with a known good Chinese 12ax7. If treble is restored, problem solved in that position. Good luck bud
  19. B

Compressor for my hollowbody

ThorpyFX Fat General - insanely good, always on pedal for me
  20. B

Yep - like Scott suggests, I would agree the Tucana is a better option than Trips for you. Great cleans, edge of break-up, fat drive, and snarly if required. The big bottles give them a clarity and presence that sets the amp apart for my idea of fusion rock ... IMHO
  21. B

+1 The more I play through my OD3R, the more I find to blow me away. Great amp :cool::cool:
  22. B

If the cable is good, it may be you need to reprogram the FS. See Alan's comments below (April 2013) 5 Button one touch foot controller operates via a standard 3 Pin XLR Mic cable. I have designed a new range of controllers for the 3 channel amps and the Tucana 3 comes as standard with the top...
  23. B

Mesa Lonestar Special - REVISITED

I've owned 2 LSC heads, but always wanted to try the LSS. Good Mesa tone is hard to beat One thing that made me hold off in the past was reports of the rectifier tube blowing. Was that down to a bad batch of tubes or a design issue, now presumably sorted?
  24. B

I used TAD's, which I believe Alan recommended in a thread years ago. Good valves, and relatively cheap. The good thing about CA's is that Alan voiced them using current production glass (with a few exceptions), so trials to see what you like won't cost a kidney :D:D