Search results

1. G

Am I the only one hearing fizz in AX8 FW10?

ONLY FOR FRFR PLAYERS. If you play through a guitar cab this probably doesn't affect you. I've been back and forth between 10.00 and 9.04 a few times to make sure this isn't my (often tired) ears playing tricks on me, but there's definitely some new hyped highs in FW10 that are extremely...
  2. G

It's official: AX8 is the best modeler I've ever played!

And I own a Kemper too... Not only the AX8 feels better (IMHO) but I think it also sounds better than most tube amps I've played, for one particular reason: how the Triaxis (and probably other Mesa amps) was modeled, especially the treble tone circuit (which is pre-distortion). To me that is...
  3. G

Not feeling it with my new AX8... Please help.

I want the AX8 to replace my Kemper, but it has to get at least close to the tone and feel I get from the KPA. Based on some clips I've seen online I thought that was going to be easy, but no luck so far. Just unboxed it, updated to 9.02, hooked it up to my Yamaha DXR10, adjusted the input...
  4. G

AX8 dynamics

Most if not all AX8 lead tone clips I've seen sound very dull and way too compressed, in fact almost unbearably so. I'm considering replacing my Kemper with one but I'd really like to know if it can sound better than the clips I was able to find on youtube. So I was wondering if anyone here...
  5. G

Life's too short for playing modelers

No, this is not a troll thread, sorry to disappoint you. I just want to share a realization I've had a few weeks ago. I used to play tube amps and rack preamps some 10 years ago, and then I got so tired of lugging my gear around I started to look for modeling alternatives. So I went through...
  6. G

Is there any MIDI footswitch that's capable of this?

I need a footswich that can send MIDI system exclusive (RPN) messages when I leave a certain IA program, but it needs to send them *after* the new PCH# is sent. Is that possible? Maybe a more detailed explanation is needed in order to avoid confusion. Let's say we have IA switches S1, S2 and...
  7. G

Finally feeling connected using FRFR (DXR10) thanks to Scott Peterson

After fighting with both the QSC K10 and (to a lesser degree) Yamaha DXR10, I've finally thought I'd try a simple tip by Mr. Peterson which consisted in padding the HF horn with some tape, so I've put the sticker that came with the speaker to a better use ;) Seems to make a world of...
  8. G

Question for the FRFR people

Actually to those who use it mounted on a pole, I know it's supposed to stand at "ear level", but which part of the speaker (assuming 2-way) should be aligned to one's ears? Horn? Woofer? Right in the middle between them? Has anyone experimented with speaker height and what was your conclusion?
  9. G

QSC K10 vs Yamaha DXR10: anyone here tried both?

I currently own a QSC K10 and am about to pull the trigger on the Yamaha DXR10 because I'm not happy with the exaggerated low end and high mids in the K10. Latency on both is around 2ms, I'd like that figure to be reduced but for now it seems I'll have to live with it. This is for using with my...
  10. G

FRFR Frequency Response Graph Comparison

Thought I'd post this if only for my own reference, still I believe it can be useful to others as well. At one time or another many of us modeler/profiler users engage on a quest for a good FRFR speaker, and although the criteria might be very subjective, knowing what the specs are probably...
  11. G

Pulled the trigger on the Kemper...

I'm feeling terribly guilty, validation please? Any word of comfort will do :p I've been contemplating the purchase for a while now, so when I got an incredible deal on one I just couldn't let it pass... GAS is a terrible, terrible illness :cry: BTW I blame TGP for it :mad: :D Now tell me...
  12. G

High-end modeler challenge

It's not possible for me to give either the AxeFXII or Kemper a try, they're not available in stores where I live and even ordering one isn't easy. So I'm curious if either of them is capable of replacing my all time favorite tone. Now for anyone attempting to give it a try, here's what you'll...
  13. G

Late to the party: DiMarzio Area 67-67-61

I know this topic has been exhaustively covered but I want to add a few details about my own experience so others can save lots of time and effort and don't end up with a wrong impression of the pickups. My main reasons for doing this are: 1. Helping others get the most out of their Area...
  14. G

So my local Mesa/Boogie dealer wants $320 for a Triaxis keypad

I feel so ripped off it's ridiculous, anyone knows how much these go for in the US? (I'm in Brazil BTW). I'm talking about the soft touch keypad that's on the front panel of the Triaxis.
  15. G

Lightweight FRFR speaker that's NOT class D?

Anyone knows of a compact FRFR speaker that can be used either as a wedge or stand mounted, lightweight, 10" or 12" woofer, 200W RMS or more, that is *NOT* class D? Unfortunately it *has* to be from a major brand, as they are the only ones I can (maybe) find in my country. Atomic and Matrix for...
  16. G

Who here has tried to like modelers but ended up going back to tube gear?

I'm especially interested in hearing stories about high end modelers like Kemper, Axe-FX and Eleven Rack. Please state how you were monitoring your modeler(s), if you're comfortable tweaking gear and your playing experience. Myself I've been playing for over 30 years, tried GNX4, RP1000, GT-10...
  17. G

Help me choose a fuzz

From my experience we must have one of these threads on the first page at all times, so here's my contribution :banana My fuzz requirements are: 1. Has to play well with other pedals, in other words, must work equally well by itself and before or after a buffer or other dirt pedals; 2. Must...
  18. G

TS9 Epiphany

I've always thought my TS9 sounded pretty darn good, but didn't realize how much until I replaced it with a Zendrive. Don't get me wrong, the Zendrive is a fine pedal, it just doesn't add up much to my rig - I already have a JMP1 and Triaxis so as much as the Zendrive sounds "tube like"...
  19. G

Are fuzz pedals sensitive to power source and order in the chain?

Just built myself an Eric Johnson Fuzz Face, my first fuzz pedal since I was 16 (I'm 43 now). I've noticed that it sounds like crap after my (buffered) Morley Bad Horsie wah pedal, in fact it only seems to be happy when put as first pedal in the chain. Also it hums badly even using an isolated...
  20. G

Help me choose 5 dirtboxes

I've built a custom switcher with 5 fx loops that I'm going to use for 5 dirtboxes. It also switches between my two preamps, a Marshall JMP-1 and a Boogie Triaxis. I already have some ideas but would like to hear opinions and suggestions on my current choices. I should probably add that I plan...
  21. G

How do you use your dirt pedals?

Just curious about how the good folks at TGP use their distortion/od boxes :) Please specify your signal chain and how the pedals are used in your setup (boost, eq, drive, etc) as well as what your amp setup is like. I use a custom switching system that I've built myself which can switch up to...
  22. G

QSC K10 Mod

There's a thread about a mod to the QSC K10 at the Fractal Audio forums that basically states that the driver is out of phase with the woofer, and that it sounds better if you invert the phase of the driver. It also points out that there's a low end emphasis on the K10 that can be circumvented...
  23. G

11R Users: what kind of cable are you using?

Just realized the hard way how sensitive to cables the 11R is, after replacing pickup selector switch and caps in one of my guitars I finally realized it was the cable - a 15ft DiMarzio that apparently had a leak from hot to ground which was causing the effect of a capacitive discharge. After...
  24. G

11 Ampeg SVT Model is pure awessomeness

I'm not a bass player but had to record bass for a small project and decided to try the Ampeg SVT model that came in the ERXP... and HOLY ****! I was completely blown away by how incredible it made my crappy japanese bass sound. Seriously I was shocked to hear tones I usually associate with one...
  25. G

First gig with 11R + K10 report

I was a little concerned about how it would perform live but the 11R + K10 combo sounded incredibly good. I had a JCM800 and a JCM900 at my disposal and when I told my bandmates I wasn't going to use either of them they looked at me like I was nuts :D Connected both AMP1 and AMP2 outputs (in...
Top Bottom