Search results

1. seward

NGD: 2022 Epiphone Les Paul Special TV Yellow

I just got a new 2022 Epiphone Les Paul Special TV Yellow, and it's been a very positive experience. This is my second p90 guitar; the first one was a Gibson Les Paul Special Tribute, which I bought last Summer. It's also my second Epiphone. I recently bought an Epiphone 59 Les Paul Standard...
  2. seward

If I like my new Epiphone 59 Les Paul Standard, will I love my new Epiphone Les Paul Special?

I just got a new Epiphone 59 Les Paul Standard, and I like it a lot. So I ordered an Epiphone Les Paul Special. I regret selling my Gibson LP Special Tribute, because I love p90s, and I don’t know if I’ll be able to get a Gibson LP Special any time soon. Did I just impulse-buy a student...
  3. seward

Output jack is too tight. Easy fix? Or return it (I'm not gonna return it)? UPDATE: TGP-assisted amateur repair is successful!

I just got an Epiphone 59 Les Paul Standard, and I love it. Can't put it down. Great #2 to my Gibson Studio. However...the guitar's output jack is too tight. There's more-than-typical physical resistance as soon as the guitar cord plug goes into the jack opening, and it takes...
  4. seward

NGD: Epiphone '59 Les Paul Standard and it's working out so far

I recently received an Epiphone '59 Les Paul Standard electric guitar in the mail. This was not random or fortuitous; I had ordered it online a couple of days earlier. This guitar has been hyped as a Gibson-killer by its manufacturer, the Gibson-owned entity known as Epiphone, and it's also...
  5. seward

How's that Sweetwater '65 12" Princeton?

The Sweetwater-exclusive one, I mean. The Princeton, or a clone build, is my ideal clean tone, and I'd like to get one. I was thinking about a boutique version, but those are expensive, and the Sweetwater Exclusive '65 isn't. It's actually cheaper than regular Princetons, almost...
  6. seward

LED or incandescent for amplifier lightbulb?

The power indicator lightbulb on one of my amplifiers has gone out. No other detectable issues, just the bulb. Replacing it seems to be a pretty simple process, that doesn't require accessing the chassis. I just have to unscrew the red plastic jewel cap, and remove the old bulb with light...
  7. seward

Interesting info re: Line 6 Catalyst onboard effects

Looking at the Catalyst Line 6, wondering if it has legacy Line 6 effects onboard, specifically the Echo Park delay pedal. So I find the manual ("Pilot's Guide"), and it turns out that the onboard effects do model some pretty good legacy effects. tinyurl.com/5n6s7arr Directing your attention...
  8. seward

Wound Third String Club

Love 'em. People start fan threads for guitars and pedals, so I thought I would start a fan thread for wound G strings, or wound 3rds. They take my hollowbody from great to fantastic, and in general they make everything sound better, unless you're going for that unwound G sound. If you're not...
  9. seward

No more PRS S2 Custom 22?

That's it? Just Standards? I loved my all-mahogany Gibson LP Special Tribute. All-mahogany has a tone, I think, and I like it. But I also like maple caps, and I wanted to hear the PRS take on a 22-fret mahogany guitar with a maple cap. Anyway, it looks like I have to buy used now if I want...
  10. seward

Can Gibson Classics and Standards sound as heavy as Studios?

I've asked this question before, in a less direct way. I love Les Pauls, and I'd like to go up the line from a Studio, but I love the 498 in the Studio's bridge. It's one of my two favorite pickups for gain (other fave is Tone Zone). The reason that it's an issue is that the Studio might have...
  11. seward

Same string gauge, but action is higher. Why?

I just replaced a set of Curt Mangan round-core .11 strings with a set of Thomastik-Infeld flatwound .11s on my Godin hollowbody, and it seems like the Thomastiks may have caused the fretboard to bow just a little bit more than the Mangans, so that string height is just a tiny bit higher. Does...
  12. seward

Can other Gibson pickups get as heavy as a 498?

I've owned a few Gibson LP Studios, and a few SG Standards, and some other stuff...Tributes, SG Special, etc. One of the reasons that I haven't gone up the line, with an LP Standard or Classic, is that I like playing with gain, sometimes lots of it (usually with pedals, into 5w/15w amps) and...
  13. seward

How I got my guitar to be less bright without sounding dull

What I did is, I got a set of Curt Mangan Pure Nickel (though I suppose any pure nickel strings would do), and I went one gauge lower than I usually do. Previously, I have used pure nickel strings to get rid of brightness; it's worked great on some guitars, but on others, pure nickel strings...
  14. seward

Gretsch 5420T or Epiphone Emperor Swingster?

I got an Ibanez AF55 hollowbody guitar a few months ago, and I liked it so much that I got a Godin 5th Avenue Kingpin II a couple of months ago. I like that guitar so much that I want more hollowbodies. I love their warmth, and the resonant quality of their sustain. Before I bought the Godin...
  15. seward

Please use appropriate fuse

I just accidentally nuked a thread about fuses, but the gist of it was, fuses in guitar amplifiers should be on-spec. Designated current (A), designated voltage (V), usually printed on the back of the amp above or below the fuse socket. Seems intuitive, but so do lighters, and they have...
  16. seward

Wouldn't it be helpful to have visual illustrations of pickup magnetic fields?

Simply as a practical matter, for setting pickup height. I'm kind of slowly picking it up on my own, like many many other people, and certainly it would vary from pickup to pickup, but I feel like setting action and pickup height would be aided by not-even-very-complicated pictures of...
  17. seward

How high up will you play a barre chord?

I used to have a bunch of guitars with 24 frets and locking tuners. Now I have a bunch of guitars with 22 frets and mild intonation issues. Was I a fool to get used to playing barre chords at the 15th fret with ease? Is it weird to play barre chords at the 15th fret, or higher? Is that part...
  18. seward

NGD: Godin 5th Avenue CW Kingpin II HB Hollowbody

This is my beautiful new baby guitar. Brilliant new hollowbody for less than $1K. This is the prettiest guitar I've ever owned. It's also got great stock pickups, rolled edges, and a bunch of other features that I probably won't appreciate until I get a little better. I have a bunch of...
  19. seward

Setup wear and tear? Can you do it too often?

I just spent most of the day with my new Gibson LP Studio, changing strings, raising and lowering pickups, tightening and loosening the truss rod. I'm not as good at setup as I'd like to be, but I can do some simple stuff. Getting a decent setup in my area took a bit of work even before...
  20. seward

NGD: 2022 Ebony Gibson Les Paul Studio

It was actually probably built in 2021. First six #s in serial are 222110...Anyway, I just received an ebony Gibson Les Paul Studio, from post-Henry Gibson. When I (re)started playing, several years ago, I bought a Studio, and then I got an SG Standard, and then I got a couple more of each...
  21. seward

NGD: Ibanez AF55, my first hollowbody electric guitar

I think that I've had an experience that many players have. When I started playing, a few decades ago, I played with lots of gain, and other effects. As time when on something began to happen, very (very) slowly at first, and then, over the last few years, at a more accelerated rate: I began...
  22. seward

Why I'm thinking about getting an SE Silver Sky instead of a Fender

I'm interested in the PRS SE Silver Sky because - based on videos, online audio, and reviews - it sounds better than a Fender Player, and it costs less than a Vintera. I love single-coils and I love Strats. They're what I grew up playing (poorly). However, when I started playing again several...
  23. seward

Some strings intonate better?

I laughed when I saw it listed as a feature on a different brand ("Better intonation!"), but I put a set of Curt Mangan Nickel-Wound Round Cores on a few of my guitars, and in addition to tonal differences, these strings seem to maintain pitch above the 12th fret noticeably better than the...
  24. seward

Please help me to improve my Gibson Tributes

I've got four Gibson Tributes, that I bought over the last six months. I love them very much; the stripped-down aesthetics really appeal to me, and they sound great - they sound like Gibsons. They replaced a bunch of superstrats, which replaced a bunch of Gibson Studios and SG Standards. The...
  25. seward

Strings and spiritual growth

I've been using D'Addario strings for a while, after using Ernie Balls for years. When I (re)started playing some time ago, I went with Gibsons, Studios and SGs, and I usually went with EBs. I eventually migrated away from Gibsons, to superstrats, and D'Addario started turning up as the stock...
Top Bottom