Search results

1. gtrdave

Looking for a great 5-watt (ish) boutique combo

I'm in the market for a small basement/practice amp. Not so concerned with volume levels or anything, but just want something semi-light and portable that will probably live in my basement and maybe venture out to a small venue gig on rare occasions. My main gigging amps right now are a Bad Cat...
  2. gtrdave

DBZ/Diamond Halcyon - info

I received a very cool gift recently when one of my guitar students from 30+ years ago reconnected with me and ended up giving me one of his guitars, simply to say thanks for the inspiration and friendship. I'm humbled, to say the least. Anyway, it's a DBZ (or) Diamond Halcyon FM in Jade Iridium...
  3. gtrdave

Floyd Rose troubles - breaking strings at the bridge

I've got a PRS Vela Vernon Reid guitar...bought used from a Reverb seller...and it's a great axe overall, but I've been having an issue where in just a few months I've broken 3 strings at the bridge. 2 times it's been the high unwound E string and another time it was the D. With the E strings it...
  4. gtrdave

Got a free guitar today! MIM Strat...

A buddy of mine sent me a text today asking if I was interested in a guitar...for free...and the followed up with pics of a MIM Strat that has a body with a few stickers on it and a Pickguard and knobs that were treated to a homemade paint job. Some of the fret marker dots have also been...
  5. gtrdave

GFS Pro Series pickups...worth it?

Cutting to the chase...I'm looking for a set of pickups for my LTD M-200 (mahogany body, maple neck, Floyd Rose) and just discovered the GFS Professional Series. Low cost, as GFS is known to be, but are the Pro Series pickups really better than the basic GFS pickups? I'm specifically looking at...
  6. gtrdave

Best quality low-cost electric w/ a Floyd Rose

I'm in the market for a Floyd Rose-equipped guitar, but I'm not sure what I want. I used to own a Squier Stagemaster and it was decent for a cheapie, but I'm looking for something a little better overall and probably 2 humbuckers, possibly with a split coil. Looking around $500 range used and on...
  7. gtrdave

A positive story about Guitar Center...no, really, it is.

Back story...I've been shopping at Guitar Center on-and-off since I first walked into the Sunset Blvd. store in 1987 and bought a Boss DR-220 drum machine. Most...I'd estimate 95%...of my transactions have been great and I've gotten along well with most of the sales personnel. I recently had...
  8. gtrdave

PRS SE acoustics...what say you?

I have to admit that I've largely ignored raw PRS SE acoustic line of guitars for no other reason than they simply do not appear on my radar. For the past 20 years I've owned/played mostly acoustics from Godin's various lines; Seagull, Simon & Patrick, La Patrie and an occasional Norman or Art &...
  9. gtrdave

Monte Montgomery - on another level

It's been less than a year since I first heard of Monte Montgomery. A friend turned me on to him and I think he is simply incredible and a bit unorthodox, which is what appeals to me in spades. His sense of rhythm and groove and timing is wicked and the fact that he plays like he does on an...
  10. gtrdave

Test drive: 1962 Gibson SJN Country Western

Recently, a friend I've known since high school contacted me and asked if I was interested in checking out this guitar that he had gotten from a widow whose husband had passed away. My friend is not a guitar player and has no desire to learn, but would like me to have first dibs on it and see...
  11. gtrdave

Another Guitar Center mis-tagged item

Last year I was at my local GC and, long story short, stumbled upon a very nice used PRS S2 Custom 24 that was mis-tagged as an SE model and priced accordingly; like $400 or so. It would have been a killer deal, but it would have been a 'wrong' deal, so I walked the guitar to the salesman and...
  12. gtrdave

Confession time: songs that most people like and you're like 'meh'...

Consider this a safe space where we can come clean and admit that there are popular songs that all of the cool kids seem to like and sing a long to, but inside you cringe and would secretly slaughter the audio source from whence the offensive sound comes. I'll start...I've never ever cared for...
  13. gtrdave

NGD: Telecaster!

I've owned several Fender Telecasters (and copies) over the years, but have been without one for a while now since I sold my LTD TE-212 a couple years ago. So, a while back I'm visiting with another local musician friend and after jamming together for a bit he lets me play a Tele that he has...
  14. gtrdave

Tales of the free guitar, my 3rd volume pot and a pickup swap...

I have a PRS S2 Standard 24 that has become one of my main guitars these days. Off the shelf it was functional and I've gigged with it quite a bit, but the S2 line definitely has it's weaknesses and there were clearly corners cut to justify its lower cost, especially in the area of the...
  15. gtrdave

Looking for a new/used 12" combo: Markbass or ?

My wife is the primary bass player in our house and we're looking to upgrade her rig. She currently has a Peavey Max 112 amp to use for most gigs and a little Hartke A35 combo to use for home practice. After playing a couple of gigs with the Peavey it was apparent to both of us the shortcomings...
  16. gtrdave

60th Anniversary Telecaster American Special

I have an opportunity to buy a used 2011 Fender American Special Telecaster 60th anniversary model for a really good price. I'm looking for more info on the model, but I keep coming up with info on what I think is the American Standard. This one has the vintage ash tray 3 brass saddle bridge...
  17. gtrdave

Missed out on a killer deal tonight...

...but I felt it was better to be honest. My wife and I stopped by our local GC tonight as I was returning an MXR Prime Distortion pedal that I recently bought. After using it for one gig, it was definitely not the pedal for me. Anyway, after the return was completed I did some quick guitar...
  18. gtrdave

I saw Todd Rundgren (again) last night

My wife and I have seen TR probably a dozen times now and one thing is always guaranteed regarding a TR show: you never know what you're going to hear and see. Every concert he's put on has been great, from his solo Acapella show in '85 (our first) to the full-on productions of the '90s (2nd...
  19. gtrdave

Saw Graham Nash live last night.

Thanks to my older sister, I was a CSN&Y fan back when I was a kid and always like Graham's voice out of all of them. Fast forward to the 2000s and I had the honor of meeting and working with Graham on his "Songs for Survivors" album and then again on the Crosby-Nash "Another Stoney Evening"...
  20. gtrdave

Another killer Mark Martel FM/Queen tribute...

Anyone who is familiar with Downhere's singer Mark Martel knows that this guy had serious vocal chops years ago and there was always a hint of Freddy's influence in his singing, but...good grief, this is amazing! The voice, the keys, it's all totally top tier talent. Just incredible!
  21. gtrdave

Another Bad Cat or something different?

I'm beyond pleased with my recent purchase of a 2015 Bad Cat Bobcat 20R. It's everything I wanted and then some and it has seen plenty of gig and studio use in the past couple of months. Now, I'm wanting to compliment it with another similar amp, but maybe not particularly another Bad Cat. I'm...
  22. gtrdave

Clean headroom on a Dr Z Carman Ghia

Okay, I think I have my next amp in my sights; a Dr. Z Carman Ghia head to go with my lonely 1x12 cabinet. I've watched a few demos (a couple good, some horrid) and did some reading and I really think the CG will be a cool amp for me and a nice alternative to my Bad Cat Bobcat. I'm curious as...
  23. gtrdave

Frank Gambale tearing up the blues.

Frank Gambale has always been one of my favorites of the fusion genre. Here he is tearing up some blues with my friend Rique' on keys, trading licks back and forth. Just crazy...
  24. gtrdave

My band added three new songs tonight. We like diversity...

My cover band had a really good 2018, gig-wise, and it appears that 2019 is not going to slow down as we're booked solid the first 6 weeks and then we've got gigs out into June with more to come, I'm sure. When my wife and I started this thing we were adamant about being a little different than...
  25. gtrdave

Am I going to be happy with anything less than...?

A couple of weeks ago I posted that I was in the market for a Bad Cat, probably a Cub of some flavor. I'm still looking, but I'm seeing an awful lot of cheaper alternatives that seem like they'd be a decent option; Jet City, Marshall, Egnater, Peavey, Laney, etc... But the bottom line is am I...
Top Bottom