Search results

1. gtrdave

Purple should retire

Thank you for signing up and having a banner first thread!
  2. gtrdave

Teh epic thread of Yngwie Johan Malmsteen approaching Deep Purple to be their geetar player for their last final hurrah tour

Yes and yes. I saw Soren with Glenn Hughes a couple of years ago and he's excellent. And I loved Norum's first solo album and work he's done with others. Very talented musician.
  3. gtrdave

Teh epic thread of Yngwie Johan Malmsteen approaching Deep Purple to be their geetar player for their last final hurrah tour

As I've said many times before, Yngwie is great at the one trick pony show that he does. Musical diversity escapes him, but the dude can shred minor/harmonic minor/diminished scales at hypersonic speed like few others.
  4. gtrdave

Peter Frampton in review.

Same and same in Philly. I recall them offering a guitar giveaway contest entry or something if a CD was purchased at the show (it was an autographed cheap Epiphone), so I got a CD. Didn't care about the guitar and enjoyed the CD, regardless. The show was great, too.
  5. gtrdave

Yeah, no. Skynyrd has had WAY MORE personnel changes and the fact remains that Ian Gillian, Ian Paice and Roger Glover - 3 of the 5 Mk. II line up - are still with the band. Don Airey has got legit cred. because of his time with Rainbow and Steve Morse, while currently on hiatus and for good...
  6. gtrdave

For those who haven’t heard this yet

I likey. And the more I see/hear the Fiore in action, the more I must have one.
  7. gtrdave

So apparently Spinal Tap 2 is happening.

Sadly, yes. Their original real-life drummer (the one and only Mick Shrimpton) recently passed. https://variety.com/2022/film/news/spinal-tap-drummer-ric-parnell-mick-shrimpton-dead-dies-1235255732/
  8. gtrdave

Deep Purple with new guitarist

When MkII reformed in '84 I saw them live and Ian was in great form that night in Philly. Blackmore, however, played like he had given up. Not all that different from when I saw him with Rainbow just a couple years prior, he did all of that neck sliding nonsense and single note noodling instead...
  9. gtrdave

Peter Frampton in review.

Frampton is a great player and one of my earliest influences. His 'black' album - the one prior to "Comes Alive" - is in my all time top 5. I finally got to see him live in 2019, pre-covid, and he was as excellent as ever. I'm also a fan of his "All Blues" album, too, and intend to buy a copy...
  10. gtrdave

Deep Purple with new guitarist

And Tommy himself could probably cover for Steve. He's that good.
  11. gtrdave

Why Jeff Beck?

I want one of the Oxblood '54 Les Pauls.
  12. gtrdave

Why Jeff Beck?

:love:
  13. gtrdave

Classical music fans ... works/movements that inspire you ...

Besides Bugs Bunny and Elmer Fudd (Kill da wabbit!!), my earliest exposure to classical music was an album that my parents had hidden up in the hall closet of our house. I can't remember them ever playing an album at all, but they did keep a couple of their old albums, one of which was Bizet's...
  14. gtrdave

"Something"

He is, but I'm hearing some auto-tune going on.
  15. gtrdave

Musicians: Introvert or Extrovert

Ambivert here. I prefer to be in the background, to be left alone and I'm still somewhat shy, but I've learned to engage people as I've gotten older, especially regarding business interactions, and I recognize that I've got a place on the stage at times and need to 'act accordingly'.
  16. gtrdave

Why Jeff Beck?

Thank you. I saw so many shows out there and many times I got the tickets for free through connected friends, but I do not remember all of the venues in detail.
  17. gtrdave

Why Jeff Beck?

I saw/heard him play this live back when he and SRV did the tour together. SRV opened...it was killer...and then Beck played and when this song came around, the entire place (I think it was the Forum in L.A.), all several thousand people, stood/sat silently and listened in complete awe. It was...
  18. gtrdave

The Unguitar locator thread.

Location: Delaware Unguitar instruments: vocals, bass, mandolin, lap steel, a little bit of banjo and dulcimer, drums, sequencing/sampling via limited keyboard knowledge. Styles: a variety Here's a song I 'composed' in minutes a few years back using only sampled sounds and my Akai MPK keyboard.
  19. gtrdave

Multi-Instrumentalists Question

It's the fingering positions due to the tuning that take a bit for me to readjust to on mandolin. Once I'm warmed up I'm fine. And, yes, lap steel is a big challenge since the technique is very different than playing slide guitar, which I normally do. The variety of possible open tunings also...
  20. gtrdave

John Fruiscante vs John Mayer vs Tom Morello as a guitarist( funky playing included ) and not songwriter

If Chris Poland were option C, I'd choose him. Between John F. and John M., though...both great at what they do, but it's my opinion that John M. does more with what he's got.
  21. gtrdave

MEMORY LANE: Where were you when you first heard EVH's Eruption ? (and what did you think)

Truth be told, when I first heard "Eruption" and the rest of VHI, it really didn't catch my ear. While I loved rock guitar music at the time, I was barely 11 years old and wasn't playing yet and was really into southern rock bands, so Van Halen wasn't really on my radar. It wasn't until a couple...
  22. gtrdave

Michael McDonald killed the Doobie Brothers.

I prefer listening to and playing guitar on the pre-MM era songs of the Doobies, but there's no denying that Michael's era generated some mega-hits that have stood the test of time. In my yacht rock band I get the honor (?) of emulating Michael's voice on "Takin' it to the Streets" and "It Keeps...
  23. gtrdave

Best app for iPad lyrics on stage

Several months after you asked...the iKlip mount for iPad, iPad2 and iPad Air is what we've been using for years. It's a perfect fit and fairly discrete.
  24. gtrdave

If you had to be in a tribute band, what would your top band choices be?

King's X Porcupine Tree Kevin Gilbert/Toy Matinee There'd likely be no one at our shows, but we'd have a great time playing the tunes.
Top Bottom