Search results

1. rubbersoul

Generally speaking, if I want a warm, woody humbucker sound...

Warm I would describe as not bright, not harsh, etc. Woody I would describe as having kind of a thump, the notes are round, it sounds as if you're hearing a pickup amplify the wood of the guitar rather than being metallic sounding. Something like that... Not perfect descriptions, I...
  2. rubbersoul

Generally speaking, if I want a warm, woody humbucker sound...

what category of magnet should I look at? II? IV? V? And should I look at low-wound or high-wound? I know they probably all vary in different contexts, but I was just wondering if there was a general way of approaching such a topic.
  3. rubbersoul

What wood do you prefer for a Telecaster?

Well, I'll be the sole voice for basswood. My MIJ Fender is made of basswood and the notes just ring out on that guitar beautifully. I love its resonance.
  4. rubbersoul

What do you do when a GIFT guitar is worth 5 times what it was?

I did...it's an Epiphone Supernova. They recently had been hovering around $2100-$2300 but one sold yesterday for around $3200.
  5. rubbersoul

I'm not going to sell it. I'm not sure the gain would outweigh the cost. It really was just a moment of insane weakness. In the end...this guitar has more than a monetary value. It's nice to "shop" in my mind with various dollar amounts...but all it ends up doing is blinding me to what I...
  6. rubbersoul

I know...you're right man...but talk about a moment of weakness when I saw how much one went for yesterday.
  7. rubbersoul

Okay...you won't believe it, I swear. I know what the usual howls will be upon everyone seeing it...there will be an even larger chorus of SELL!!!...but I promise, it is a really great guitar, plays and sounds great and my wife bought it for me in 2003 when I graduated college. She was my...
  8. rubbersoul

Yes, I could get that amount for it...that's what they sell for on ebay currently.
  9. rubbersoul

I appreciate all the thoughtful responses guys. I believe I'm inclined to keep the guitar. The idea of trading a known entity for an unknown entity was very helpful...I think I'll just save my pennies and buy something really nice down the road sometime. I also really fear the regret that...
  10. rubbersoul

So, someone gives you a guitar as a gift. When they do, it is worth about $700, then you now see that it is worth $3500. What do you do? Do you sell it? To make it more complicated, you actually like much about the guitar, but you are being tempted to sell it and buy something like you've...
  11. rubbersoul

What's your favorite Beatles LYRIC??

Here's another: Sounds of laughter shades of life are ringing through my open ears exciting and inviting me Limitless undying love which shines around me like a million suns It calls me on and on across the universe
  12. rubbersoul

What's your favorite Beatles LYRIC??

For some reason today, I was walking and singing to myself... Penny Lane is in my ears and in my eyes Wet beneath the blue suburban skies... And I realized I had never really lingered on those lyrics very long, but I actually like them quite a bit. We often talk about what the best Beatles...
  13. rubbersoul

What was the first "lick" you learned on guitar?

Day Tripper was the first for me...after that, I was hooked!
  14. rubbersoul

Do poly finishes protect guitars from humidity changes?

I assume they do to a degree. Do they?
  15. rubbersoul

Question about rewinding pickups

Say you have a vintage guitar and LOVE the tone of your pickups, but one pickup, even after adjusting pickup height and pole-piece heights, still is a bit weaker than the other. If you get the weaker pickup rewound, does it change the tone of the pickup? Again, I have zero problems with the...
  16. rubbersoul

Which Rickenbacker tailpiece..."R" or Trapeze?

Thanks for the wonderful answer kingblud!
  17. rubbersoul

Which Rickenbacker tailpiece..."R" or Trapeze?

And why? What advantages/disadvantages does one have over the other? Is one easier to string than the other?
  18. rubbersoul

Your favourite Tele finish with a maple board

C'mon...where's the paisley love? My favorite!
  19. rubbersoul

My gosh...I finally heard the new Noel Gallagher album on Youtube...

to say he has matured would be an understatement. The songs are simply outstanding. It's everything I liked about Dig Out Your Soul x 10. I've waited years to hear what a solo Noel Gallagher album would sound like and he does not disappoint. Reaffirms what a talented songwriter this guy is...
  20. rubbersoul

The most over-rated songs by bands you like

I always thought Oasis' "Wonderwall" was a bit overrated...Noel Gallagher wrote many songs that were much better.
  21. rubbersoul

Collings City Limits...

My gosh, that is beautiful. What finish is that? Is it a "blonde" finish or just a plain top-type finish?
  22. rubbersoul

Another leaked Noel Gallagher song...

Oh, is it? I didn't realize that. I've certainly enjoyed the songs I've come across on youtube...didn't know which were singles and which were album cuts though. I like this as a single...

Trending Topics