Search results

1. wraub

Dead CS 51’ Nocaster neck pup

Unfortunately, that pickup now looks like a paper weight. Could be repaired, would not be inexpensive. I had to replace a broken lead on an irreplaceable pickup and that was stressful enough for me.
  2. wraub

Which fretboard oil or conditioner?

Noted, and, thanks. Thing is, I'm trying to minimize or avoid petroleum-based products, so looking for alternatives.
  3. wraub

I probably should have been more specific, this is on a RW 'board that will get intensive cleaning with alcohol. Would a damp cloth be sufficient after that?
  4. wraub

I'm looking for a guitar specific product for rosewood that's not petroleum based, any suggestions?
  5. wraub

Well crap now I've stepped in it. Warmoth headstock cracking.

+1 on using wax on the screws, but some soap can have lye and other stuff in it so it's best avoided imo.
  6. wraub

Well crap now I've stepped in it. Warmoth headstock cracking.

This, but replace super glue with wood glue. Agreed with @walterw re removing all screws and ferrules and redrilling, carefully. The neck has shown it's mechanical tolerances, work within or around.
  7. wraub

Slipping hardwood into neck pocket on soft fender style bodies?

I have two Ibanez basses from 1985, both with basswood bodies, and both are fine. One of these basses was my only instrument for a decade, it got a whole lot of use and some abuse. It has some scars but it's structurally stable, and has been since I got it a very long time ago. Neck uses 4...
  8. wraub

Jackson Rhoads input jack replacement

Yep, this is the first step to fixing the output jack.
  9. wraub

Leftover parts thread

If the price is right I'd take that cover. :) I have extra pickups and tuners for some reason, but on most projects I use different containers for screws and such so keep track and don't often wind up with extra stuff. When that's happened, I backtrack and dissasemble if needed to make sure...
  10. wraub

Wax on screw threads

Soap can have water, lye, and/or other chemicals that can cause issues. I use candle wax or scented wax chunks. Those are great when you want a guitar to smell like sandalwood or raspberries. :D
  11. wraub

Wiring question

Thanks again for the excellent explanation.
  12. wraub

Wiring question

To clarify- currently the pickup has red and white taped together, green is hot and black is ground. In this case, would I combine red + green to hot, and black + white to ground?
  13. wraub

Wiring question

I have a 4-wire Duncan Designed Detonator pickup that I want to wire parallel, on a single pickup, single volume guitar. Trying for more of a PAF sound - I know it won't be exact, but at least hoping for more usable sounds from the guitar. All the wiring diagrams I've found seem to involve...
  14. wraub

Non-Recessed Floyd to Fixed Bridge

I'm actually about to do this mod, using wood I have here, on a body that I like that was essentially free to me. Ditch the Kahler Spyder (paperweight?), fill the hole, repaint. If it works out I have big plans for the guitar. If not... I guess I'll have another paperweight. :D
  15. wraub

Non-Recessed Floyd to Fixed Bridge

I'm in the same boat with an old Kahler Spyder. I figure I'll have to add wood or sell the body, I've been researching for a while and all alternatives seem to point to adding wood to the cavity for attaching the new bridge. I have seen this piece online but can't find one for sale atm.
  16. wraub

Question about Longleaf Pine body blanks

One of GE Smith's Teles is all old pine, neck and all. He talks about in this vid, at about the 10 minute mark.
  17. wraub

Removing a stripped mounted-pickup screw?

If the area is especially small, a hemostat could also work.
  18. wraub

Removing a stripped mounted-pickup screw?

Maybe, try fine tipped needle nose pliers? Grab the screw head from the outside and turn. Forceps could also possibly work. Alternatively, try to cut the screw head off, remove the pickup, then remove the remaining screw?
  19. wraub

Need to find Wilkinson Trem Saddle Screws

Possibly here? https://www.mcmaster.com/screws/rounded-head-screws/hex-drive-rounded-head-screws/
  20. wraub

Does Harbor Freight sell a string action ruler?

I have 6" machinist rules in metric and standard in my guitar tool box, and both have come in extremely useful over the years. Well worth the price of admission imo.
  21. wraub

Small tool bag for setup tools?

I have an similar screwdriver set from Radio Shack, of all places. Works great for lots of projects, but it lives in the guitar box.
  22. wraub

Small tool bag for setup tools?

I use a salesman's case from the 40's or 50s... hard sided, not too big (although more of a case than a bag) and lots of space. I only have the one box for guitar tools and parts, I have pickups elsewhere.
Top Bottom