Search results

1. kombi1976

To mod or not to mod.....70s Laney L60PA head?

The valves are actually Telefunken 6CA7s, which is another name for a high spec EL34. And you're right about suited for guitar. It's not laid out light the Simms Watts PAs or some of the other Supergroup-era PAs which had EQ sections for each channel. It's actually had a 5th 12ax7 added for the...
  2. kombi1976

Actually, it's 60w, but yeah, I'd never have been able to get all that for $350......which is what I payed for the amp. We're preserving the exterior of the amp as much as possible so stays looking classic, not carved up. I already have 2 British amps (Laney AORs) so I didn't need another...
  3. kombi1976

You're entirely right. It began as a mod - basically a new preamp grafted on to the original power section - but there were bigger problems & it became expedient to start from scratch. Maybe where you live an old chassis with good transformers is $100 but not here. Sure it was a cool looking old...
  4. kombi1976

Just as an update to this thread, I made the decision to have it modded. Dave at Terrible Amplification in Melbourne is currently converting it to a twin channel amp based on a Fender Prosonic with an FX loop, analog tremolo circuit and Belton reverb. I'll post a build thread when it's finished.
  5. kombi1976

Celestion Tube 10.....thoughts and opinions?

Well, no, but the the Legend 10516 is 75w and has a 99.9dB sensitivity where the Basslite is 150w and has a 96.2dB. When you're trying to squeeze as much out volume out of a small amp as possible you want your speaker to be nice and sensitive. The Legend is even more sensitive than the Celestion...
  6. kombi1976

Mmmm, I'm not even sure where I can source one of those here and they're more a bass speaker. Besides, a 150w speaker for a 15w amp?! Another vote for the Lil Buddy, eh? I'll definitely keep it in mind.
  7. kombi1976

I'm looking for something that can extract as much clean from the amp as possible, sort of jazzy or country. As for the Gold, here in Australia they're $270 each and I just can't afford that.
  8. kombi1976

I'm now considering the G10 Vintage but I'm wondering about the Eminence Legend 10516. Anyone had experience with it? It has a sensitivity of 99.9dB.
  9. kombi1976

I've been recommended the Lil Buddy. I'm also looking at the WGS G10C and G10C/S. They look like a good deal.
  10. kombi1976

Have you bought a VW recently? More like a Porsche for a Kia price. ;) But I get your point. I'm going to chase something else better.
  11. kombi1976

This is a budget speaker of course but I'm wondering what people's thoughts and a opinions are who've had experience with them. I'm looking at employing one in a 15w dual-EL84 combo. What sort of headroom and clarity do they have?
  12. kombi1976

Speaker advice: High efficiency low wattage 10"?

Whilst the Gold may score high on efficiency and tone it also scores high on price. On US eBay they're all priced about US$175 but here in Australia they're AUD$269 each!! Bang for my buck it aint. :( I'm going to look into the Ramrod, unless someone has a different recommendation.
  13. kombi1976

I should say that since this'll be 15w aside I'll be trying to eek out every bit of clean I can from it. I want use complex stereo pedals like the Neo Ventilator to exploit the stereo capabilities of the amp. I need something that breaks up later rather than earlier.
  14. kombi1976

I'm putting together a tube stereo combo that's 15w aside and to minimise size and weight I plan on loading it with a pair of 10" speakers. Until recently I've had a Hiwatt 2x12 50w combo and it's barely made it out of the house because of the weight. I'm thinking between 20w and 30w speakers...
  15. kombi1976

Duratex in colours?

I've got a 2x12 half built and would like to finish it soon. Either I'll have to tolex or I can Duratex it but it would be cool to do it in red or green rather than black. Does anyone know if small packs are available either in colours or in white for mixing?
  16. kombi1976

Beginner 1x12/1x8 cab build

Simple really. This build was about using what I already had to make a new cab. I'd been told by a few experts that the 8" was pretty much useless but I wanted to have a crack and see if it would work for me. As it turns out they were right and that's ok. I don't know what it was designed for...
  17. kombi1976

I'm actually going for a more modern sound, more bass response with the airy feel that an open back provides. Thanks for the tips, though. Funnily enough I've had a feeling that I'd end up building a 2x12" cab.
  18. kombi1976

Today I screwed everything together for the test run and then wired up the speakers. Here's the head I intend to run through it most of the time, a Laney L60PA head. From the get go it seemed to break up too quickly. I hooked up my quad and things continued to seem screwy. The L60PA isn't a...
  19. kombi1976

This build is progressing slowly but I got some more of it done today. I marked out the speaker holes on the baffle and then ended up cutting them out with a jigsaw. I haven't even got the router out of it's box yet - it's brand spanking new - but I have some experience with the jigsaw and...
  20. kombi1976

The outer shell finished. And the baffle placed inside before the speaker holes are cut. There are aspects of it I'm less than pleased with but then I'm no expert so I have to live with them. It's a learning experience if nothing else. Whatever happens it'll be fine structurally. And now...
  21. kombi1976

A mid build pic. It aint pretty but tolex hides a multitude of sins, thankfully!
  22. kombi1976

Thanks, VCC. I considered that and I'm going to use timber batons on the inside of each corner to screw the joints together as well as gluing. That way the screws can be at least 18mm in from each side and fine to rout. Admittedly it'll take up a little space inside but it should make it...
  23. kombi1976

First things first I should state that I have no technical qualifications in amp or cab building. I don't even have a real bent for working with my hands. But recently I've done some timber work, like assembling a timber and steel playhouse from flat pack......and then repairing said playhouse...
  24. kombi1976

I took some gut shots....... I love the little signatures on these old amps: This fell out too.....sort of a job card detailing who worked on what. Sadly no dates. :unhappy: Really these pics don't do the inside of this justice. The interior of this amp is almost sparkly. Sure there's a...
  25. kombi1976

I gather by "8-holer" you mean 8 holes in the front panel that could be utilised for any amount of things. Unfortunately I'm no tech myself so it would involve finding someone capable and willing to do the task. I daresay it won't be cheap either. I'd like a clean channel and a loop if that can...
Top Bottom