Search results

1. kombi1976

Wilkinson/Gotoh VSVG trem for 1990 MIJ Strat?

I just found this Wilkinson WVP6-SB bridge which seems very similar but doesn’t have locking saddles. It’s also for Import and Japanese Strats. Considerably cheaper too. Interesting, huh? https://www.amazon.com.au/Wilkinson-WVP6-SB-Stainless-Saddles-Tremolo/dp/B08SQT9GHY
  2. kombi1976

Sounds good. Does the narrower string spacing make it easier or harder to play?
  3. kombi1976

I've got a 1990 MIJ Strat and the original trem block thread has stripped out. I'm seriously thinking about replacing the whole bridge and I like the look of the Wilkinson/Gotoh VSVG trem, both because of the steel block and for tuning stability...
  4. kombi1976

Do you own exact multiples of the same guitar?

Nope. I have a couple that are in the same ball park (a couple of HB+HB guitars, and a couple of Strat-styles, one Fender and the other MIJ lawsuit much modded) but no duplicates. Can't afford em and I prefer different flavours.
  5. kombi1976

Hey tall guys (over 6"), what are you playing?

I’m 6’2” and love Rickenbackers but I’d never get a 620. That would be cartoonish.
  6. kombi1976

Surprising affordable Ibanez; RG321MH

I hadn’t run across these before. They’re an Indonesian-built guitar but they look Japanese with bound headstock and bridge. I’ve started teaching at a new school and it just happened they had one in the rack of their electric guitars. The strings were filthy so I switched them out for a set...
  7. kombi1976

Hot Take: Strats Are Awful ;)

I plugged the MIJ Strat we have in this arvo. It’s standard aside of the bridge pickup which is a Kinman noiseless vintage type. Super quiet but weak. My conclusion is that a Strat, properly EQed and at a moderate to high volume does sound good, even great. But as soon as it’s not making the...
  8. kombi1976

Hot Take: Strats Are Awful ;)

To the OP, I feel your pain. For me Strats seem completely amp dependent. Without an amp with which you find your best sound they’re extremely frustrating. I also find vintage low power pickups very annoying. Leo Fender had hearing damage and his “high fidelity” tone in my hands sounds weak and...
  9. kombi1976

Who's more agreeable when it comes to guitar, Scott Grove types or Rick Beato types?

I have the strong opinion this thread was posted under a bridge as billy goats passed over it. That said, while Beato may be wordy and rant about Don Henley and fair usage now and again, I generally find his stuff pretty interesting. He doesn’t dismiss modern music out of hand, and some of the...
  10. kombi1976

Gear that YOU love, but most seem to hate.

Is it Vinnie Vincent’s collection?
  11. kombi1976

Relic'd guitars are "cosplay for hipsters"

I can think of 6 good reasons to buy a good reliced reissue guitar: You don’t stress about dinging it. It already feels played in. It’s still drastically cheaper than even the worst player grade guitar of which it’s a replica. It was made with new timber, hardware and electronics so it’s...
  12. kombi1976

Guitars you're fancying, but can't or won't get?.

Honestly, a Fidelity Guitars instrument. Beautiful things. Quirky and relic'd and wonderful pickups and hardware. But they're made in the UK and the cost here in Oz won't hold value. Those TGP members in England should seriously consider them, though. https://www.fidelity-guitars.co.uk/
  13. kombi1976

Switching bridges on a Tele?

Cheers, blokes! Gives me a wider scope!:cool:
  14. kombi1976

Nah, it’s the whole base plate I don’t like. Mostly they’re too shiny and I like the 3-sided bridge. Oh, and ashtrays are roughly square but the modern ones are elongated.
  15. kombi1976

I don’t have a Tele yet but I don’t want a modern bridge or a top loader. Sounds like I should just buy one with an ashtray and not plan on swapping.
  16. kombi1976

I prefer ashtray bridges like this one: Is it an easy swap to put an ashtray onto a guitar with a modern bridge like this?
  17. kombi1976

Underrated Guitar Brands.

Rickenbacker. Cop a lot of flack. Continually called “rhythm guitars”. They’re awesome.
  18. kombi1976

Four “Must Have” Guitars?

I’d say a Tele, a SG, a Ric 12-string and then some sort of semi/hollow, be it a Gretsch, Ric 6-string or 335. You can switch out the Tele for a Strat and the SG for a Les Paul, but paradoxically I’ve found Teles more flexible than Strats because Strats lack a tone control on the rear pickup...
  19. kombi1976

Is artificial aging a crime?

They’re replicas. We all know it. But the necks and finishes feel like old guitars. Played in. With all the advantages of a new guitar. New pots, hardware, electrics, frets. Not unreliable and irreplaceable. That’s the value of relics. Honestly, what a dumb question.
  20. kombi1976

Letting people try your guitars?

When a friend or guest comes over I’ll usually let them play my guitars, even young beginners sometimes. But when I’m playing a gig I’m being hired to play, not to lend my gear to others - who are often keen to have a go because they’re half pissed. So it’s a firm no.
  21. kombi1976

How young were you when you first started?

I was 8 when I started piano and 15 when I started guitar, and my son was 8 when he started guitar and drums. He's an exceptional player. If your grandson's keen go at it.
  22. kombi1976

NGD - Rickenbacker 360

Loving the Jetglo. I really want a 330/6 in Jetglo.
  23. kombi1976

Why so much animosity for PRS players, or for anyone that has a guitar with a nice top?

I was very impressed with them in the 90s when everyone who was anyone was playing them. But I began to move away towards more traditional guitars. I was even thinking of buying a Norlin-era LP Custom a’la Billy Duffy but I played one and bought a plain natural burst SG Standard instead...
  24. kombi1976

Tell me about the guitar you once bought that you couldn't bond with.

I owned a couple. First, a ‘90s Yamaha RGX612a with active pickups. I really wanted an Ibanez RG550 but I got the RGX cheap 2nd hand. It had a Yamaha proprietary locking trem and pickups with mid boost. The trem was pretty good. The pickups not so much. I had it for years but I just couldn’t...
Top Bottom