Search results

1. alivegy

Fuzz Pedals Add Hum When Off

I recently went through my pedal board on a quest to find pedals that were causing excess noise. I run a strat through a cranked jcm800 so any noise early in the chain becomes really prominent. I noticed that my two hartman pedals, an 8va octafuzz clone and a rangemaster treblebooster both...
  2. alivegy

1971 Super Reverb Gut Shots

I bought this 1971 Super Reverb in Seattle back in August of last year while I was in town for the Pearl Jam shows. It's obviously had some work done over the years, and I believe that one of the original CTS alnico's has been reconed. To me it looks like a workhorse amp that has been worked...
  3. alivegy

Tycho Brahe Fuzz with More Control

I have a Hartman 8va that is a clone of a Tycho Brahe Octavia, and I have always used this pedal as my primary roaring silicon fuzz sound. Are there any fuzzes out there that are built around this circuit, but offer more control over the fuzz tone? It would be nice to have a bias and a tone...
  4. alivegy

Celestion Lead 80 But With no Doping?

I have a 2 amp stereo rig that I use to do a lot of home recording. I use the smaller combo amp of the rig as my traveling amp, since the combo gets used at stage volume the speaker gets a work out and gets broken in. My problem is that my big amp doesn't get out of the house very much so...
  5. alivegy

Can you use 2 aby pedals concurently?

I recently added a second amp to my recording setup. I had been using a radial switchbone to run signal A through my amp, and signal B to my interface to record a dry track for reamping. Now that I have a second amp I need another channel. A: to amp 1, B: to amp 2, and C: to my recording...
  6. alivegy

Marshall Combo Getting Wobbly

I bought an 85 Jcm800 4010 a couple of months ago. I have since shipped it across the country twice. On receiving it this time the structure of the combo seems to have weakened a bit. If I'm looking at the front of the amp I can rock it left and right a little bit and it creaks. It's hard to...
  7. alivegy

CS 69 pickup but with flatpoles.

I love the sound of the custom shop 69 pickup in the bridge of my strat, but I hate the emphasis that the staggered pole gives the g. Is there a pickup out there that is similar in output and tone, but with flat poles? I'm leaning towards lollar blackfaces.
  8. alivegy

2x12 For Low Volume Recording

I've been working a lot lately on getting a better recorded tone from my guitar. I currently play a 2203 into a Port City 2x12 filled with 2 Warehouse Lead 80 replicas. I use an Aracom attenuator to bring the volume levels down and can get a tone in the room that I am very happy with. I...
  9. alivegy

Just Learned A Hard Lesson About Buffers

I have been working a lot on recording lately and trying my best to capture the tone that I hear in the room. I play through a Jcm800 and so far I had managed to capture some beautiful clean tones. Then I started to go for the dirt, up the gain a bit, and get some nice tube compression. As...
  10. alivegy

Radial Xamp Signal Still too Strong

So I have started exploring the possibilities of reamping lately but I'm still coming up a bit short. I find that the signal that I get off my radial xamp is still too strong, but not volume wise as that can be adjusted in a couple of different places more as it pertains to actual signal...
  11. alivegy

On the Fence with the MJM London Fuzz

I finally took the plunge and have started the quest for a fuzz pedal for my board. I play a strat through a pretty clean 2203. I stated with a silicon sunface bc108, but it was just way too much. All of the note definition was gone and it just didn't play well with the marshall. After...
  12. alivegy

Apparently Marshall knew what they were doing

In my never ending quest to never leave well enough alone I clipped the bright cap off of my JCM800. I think I like it better with the cap in place. The amp didn't get dark by any means and the treble knob did become a bit more useful. It seemed to add a "low-mid" frequency to the tone that i...
  13. alivegy

My Advice too all of the home players

So i have to admit it, at this point I'm an apartment warrior. I'm not really in a band, I mostly just jam on my own and write songs and riffs. I just love to play. Sometimes I don't even want to play I just want to hear guitar, so I play anyway acting as both solo performer and lone audience...
  14. alivegy

My Honeymoon with the Aracom and UA Comparison

I've been using an ultimate attenuator for a little over 2 years now and have just spent about 2 hours with my new Aracom. I've been playing guitar for about 14 years now and I'm a bit of an apartment warrior. I would like to gig more but currently don't, so I mostly just play on my own and...
  15. alivegy

I just learned an Expensive lesson

Ignorance may be bliss, but in some case it can also be cheaper. A few years ago I bought a 65 bassman that had a GE and and RCA 12ax7 in it. I swapped them out for a 5751, not because I didn't like the tone but because I wanted to drop the gain a bit. Fast forward a couple of years and I...
  16. alivegy

Overwound Pickups, an Observation.

Pickups are funny things. I'm a strat player, and I have always loved the sound and feel of a good single coil guitar. I have a les paul, but 98% of the time I pickup my strat. For the last couple of years I've been playing a G&L legacy with Fralin Blue Speicals in the neck and middle...
  17. alivegy

Bass From Monitors Develops Behind Me

I just bought a new set of Yamaha Msp5 monitors. I have them sitting 36" apart and 36" from my ears angled towards me. They sit on my desk ontop of a pair of Mopads from Auralex, those foam block things. So far the stereo field is great as is the treble and mid frequencies, I can really tell...
  18. alivegy

JCM800 Reissue, Yay or Nay?

I've been looking at getting a jcm800 recently and have played a few. Has anyone been able to demo a reissue next to an original? I know there was a lot of variance in the early 800s and they have changed away from the Drake Output transformer as well. On the other hand, it has a buffered fx...
  19. alivegy

Celestion Lead 80's in Port City 2x12?

My setup is going through a massive overhaul. I finally decided that it was stupid to have a fender when 95% of the time I'm trying to make the thing sound like a Marshall, I might as well buy something that was meant to sound that way in the first place. For about a month I was sold on a Top...
  20. alivegy

A Treble Booster that Works Behind a Buffer?

Hey Guys. In the never ending quest for tone I'm starting to wonder down the path of the treble booster. I play mostly strats into a 65 bassman and use a Menatone KOTB for most of my overdrive and crunch needs. I typically use a wireless system so I need a good boost that works well behind a...
  21. alivegy

Unique Microphne Question.

Every so often i like to record something that I have written, but the problem is that I live in an apartment. Fortunately, I have some tolerant neighbors, but I still try and be considerate with the volume levels. I'm trying to find a microphone to use to record some decent clean and...
  22. alivegy

Samick Les Paul Knock Off?

So I was going around to a bunch of guitar shops playing some cheap and not so cheap les pauls. I hoped to pick up a historic or perhaps a mid 80's gibson soon but right now isn't quite the time. So I played some new and used gibsons epiphones and an agile or 2. Then I picked up a lonely used...
  23. alivegy

Menatone KOTB, WOW.

I don't think I've ever been as happy with a gear purchase as I am with my new Menatone King of the Britains. I play a g&l legacy with fralin blues specials and a steel pole 42 in the bridge into a 65 bassman attenuated with a UA. Previously I had been using an MIAudio Crunchbox, which I still...
  24. alivegy

Speaker for Bassman that gets rid of the Bark?

I have a 65 bassman that I play attenuated at pretty low-volume levels. It's pushing an openback 2x12 with a g12h30 and a vintage 30 that has to sit pretty close to the wall, since it's in my house. The amp has this upper middrange bark that I cannot get rid of no matter what I do, especially...
  25. alivegy

So I learned something about the Ultimate Attenuator

I've posted in a few threads about the UA and mentioned that I was having some issues with a crossover type distortion sound as soon as I started to push my amp a bit. I have a 65 bassman that wants a 4ohm load so obviously there is some concern with pushing it through a nonreactive 30ohm load...
Top Bottom