Search results

1. M

Jbl vrx

anyone have experience with the jbl vrx932lap? Going to start to market stage, audio, light service and need to upgrade from etx gear ( which I happen to really like). Don't want the initial expense of full on line array gear yet but want to provide better than the usual full range on a stick...
  2. M

JG, PBG, et al. A positive position...

After all the vitriol regarding PBG, I would like to interject some positive experiences. SO, if you have an issue with PBG THE COMPANY OR BUSINESS MODEL, please refrain from posting as it has been rehashed ad nauseum. I have owned a PBG Bluesmaster Special for a while and want to express...
  3. M

Gustavsson Futuremaster. NGM

So, this has been New Guitar Month, lol. A few weeks ago I acquired the JG Futuremaster that was in the emporium. On receipt I was not totally blown away as I was when I first laid hands on a BM59. In fact, I was a little disappointed...the neck was bigger than either of my Bms. The guitar...
  4. M

Anyone catch Eric Johnson in Foxboro MA last night?

Opening date of his current tour. First time I've had a chance to see EJ live and it was both rewarding and surprising. I just HAD to hear that iconic tone live. Didn't seem quite dialed in last night; a little too much delay made some of his extraordinary chordal moves somewhat indistinct...
  5. M

Now for something different

I can't usually muster the courage to post clips here but a recent project with a friend turned out rather well, I think. First 4 tunes on his myspace pg are a trio with Steve on acoustic and vox, upright bass and I'm wanking away on electric. All first pass, no punch ins as is evident by...
  6. M

Does anyone have any direct experience with Avatar's neo bass cabs; 4x10 and 2x12 specifically?? They will be pushed by either a gk 1001 or an ampeg svt4 pro. Power handling is obviously not an issue. Sound quality?? Looking for a bigger, tighter sound than the 2x10 plus 1x15 I currently...
  7. M

Now for something relatively different

"Acoustic" blues (both guitars have pickups) from the Wachusset Mt. Blues Festival in Princeton, MA. The young lady in the vids, Mary Lou Ferrante just forwarded these to me. We did a short opening set at the festival and then played in the lounge between the electric acts on the main stage...
  8. M

Need Speaker Advice for Shiva combo

Well, I thought my Shiva was dead but it turned out that just the speaker is dead. No sound at all.....never had that happen before. Anyone have any idea what the cause might be? Every blown speaker I've encountered just made awful noises...not silence. That being said, I'm looking for some...
  9. M

McInturff FLE review

Terry's name seems to be floating around a lot lately so I figured I'd add to the infostream. I recently acquired a used TCM Taurus Forum Limited Edition, serial #1; gold top, '57 neck carve. As has been the case recently, this was purchased sight/sound unseen/unheard at what seemed to be a...
  10. M

Mismatched Impedance Question

For various reasons I want to run an extention cab that is 16 ohms with a combo loaded with an 8 ohm speaker (thought it was a 16 until I put a meter on it). What will the practical result be? Less volume out of the ext cab? And, more importantly, what speaker output tap do I use...
  11. M

National Radiotone Bendaway

Anyone have any experience with the new (but discontinued due to production costs) National Radiotone Bendaway? Wooden bodied resonator with cutaway. I am contemplating a purchase and my research comes up universally positive but I don't always trust the reviews on Harmony Central (no...
  12. M

Relic'd Instruments

Does anyone but me feel like there is something completely skewed about paying a premium for an instrument that is intentionally beat up, yet that same non-relic model instrument will decline in value if it has legitimate wear vs being pristine? This is more of a philisophic question than...
  13. M

Gibson vs PRS vs Fender vs ??

My thoughts on this are prompted by the "Gibsons Don't Suck" thread...didn't want to post there and divert the subject. I will admit to favoring PRS and find it very interesting that we all hear things so differently. I have yet to hear a Les Paul that sounds anywhere near as "good" as any...
  14. M

Question relating to plastic fingerpicks

Is there a prefered way to custom fit fingerpicks? I never realized that I had short pudgy fingers (I knew they were short, just the pudgy part....) until I bought some plastic fingerpicks (size large) for my recently acquired national resorocket. Is there a prefered way to soften and...
  15. M

Two Rock Jet in the House! (warning; long winded)

My search for a grab and go amp for jams and unique rehearsals is, apparently, over. As a Fuchs fanatic, I recently picked up a TDS 100 combo from a fellow GP'er to fill the aforementioned role. I conveniently ignored the 28" wingspan and 65 lb weight, lol. The amp not only kicks ass tonally...
  16. M

Aiken Intruder vs Invader, Masonette, etc.

I have a NOS Aiken Intruder on the way from Midtown Music. Anyone have experience comparing this to a Germino Masonette, Aiken's Invader or the Reinhardt amps?? Also, any owners with comments on the Intruder? Nothing like putting the cart before the horse, eh? lol Thanks Michael
  17. M

Constellation Question

Pardon my ignorance here but....as much as I love the Constellation, it is one loud MF for a "30 watt" amp. Since it runs 4 el 84's, can I pull two to cut the power in half. And, if so, which tubes work in which pairing? I am using it occassionally with a Weber Mass attenuator but, like...
Top Bottom