• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Search results

1. T

Best guitar for $1,500

I got my Gretsch 6120 around that price. Hamer USA would be another to look at, but they become harder to find, and the prices are creeping up. And you could find used Melancon's in the price range, I did. Couldn't be happier with these guitars, and they are all very different. Hard to say...
  2. T

Artists from around the world come together to record Ripple

That was the perfect version of the perfect song that I listened to at the perfect time to fully enjoy it. That was great.
  3. T

Help me target my next guitar

hmmmm That Suhr......hmmmm.
  4. T

A friend of mine recently got two rics, one is a 6 string, one a 12 string. I need to get together with him and give it a test drive.
  5. T

Here is my situation. I currently have the following Driskill Diablo - 3 P90's, swamp ash top - does the blues rock thing real good. Melancon pro Artist T - 2 P 90's, Koa top - does cleans better than the Driskill, better suited for things a little more country rock. Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins...
  6. T

People who have entirely uninspiring guitars who just play anyway?

So I undersatand the notion here, and subscribe to it to a certain degree. I am a bit of a gear snob, and have mostly nice and higher end guitars. However, my $300 yamaha acoustic gets plenty of play, and I reach for my son's Epiphone SG sometimes as well, and I am not "unispired". So I am...
  7. T

Tell me about Bigsby vibrato's

I am a big vibrato guy, but basically always did it with my fret hand, I never could use regluar trem bars effectively. A friend of mine has a Gretsch I played some about a year ago, and fell in love with the Bigsby. I have since gotten my own Gretsh as well as a Hamer, both with Bigsby's...
  8. T

Should I buy a Gretsch 5120 vs 5420?

I would HIGHLY recommend being patient, saving up extra money, and getting a 6120 or any other pro series Gretsch. IMO, while you are spending more, you are getting far greater value and better bang for your buck.
  9. T

How important is the actual guitar to your overall tone?

Yep, feel is super important to me. of course it needs to have a good sounds, stay in tune etc, and with the, the feel is huge. While it may not effect the "sound", if I am inot the feel of the guitar, I will play much better.
  10. T

Best recorded 'pick slide'?

Stranglehold was the first thing that came to my mind, but the mention of Boston and EVH make it a tough call. All are great. With regards to Gibbons and Gimme all Your Lovin', I never thought (and still don't) that was a pick slide. I think that is a quick slide down with the fret hand. SRV...
  11. T

Any Love for The Rival Sons?

Is it the MMRBQ You are seeing them at?
  12. T

Completely in love with my Hamer Monaco

Overthe last 6 months or so, my GAS has picked up. I got a Gretsch 6120 in the summer, which I love. A month or so ago I was looking for a 335 type guitar. In my searches I saw a hollowbody Les Paul with a Bigsby that really drew my attention. It was brand new, and the store was asking about...
  13. T

value of Hamer USA guitars

I already want another one. I could literally replace my Driskill and my Melancon. While the Hamer is comsetically most similar to my Gretsch, that is the one thing it really couldn't replace. Otherwise, I cannot beleive how versatile this thing is. And again, fit and finish is TOP SHELF...
  14. T

I will just say, better late than never as far as I am concerned. The Hamer (Monaco)I pulled the trigger on was built in 2007. It is right up there with the PRS (Custom 22) I had, and if I had to pick, I would easily go with the Hamer. I was in need of a humbucker guitar. This thing is...
  15. T

NGD: 1993 Hamer Studio

How did you check the serial number for the year?
  16. T

I came across a Monaco, which I don't think was used. It has just been in the store, and the guy claimed it was one of the last ones to come out of the Hamer shop. It was at Roxy Guitars (outside of Philly), which is pretty reputable, and the guitar was in mint condition, other than a lot of...
  17. T

Does it make sense that since these are discontinued their value could/should increase, or is this more driven by market conditions?
  18. T

Why doesn't everybody just play a Gretsch 6120

I love mine, but there are a few things it is not well suited for: 1 - Higher gain 2 - using a wah-wah pedal But I do play mine for at least 75% of the songs in our band. When I swith to another guitar, it is really a different feel, not necessarily worse. Going to my Driskill is...
  19. T

Rival Sons Are Not Led Zeppelin?

The only reality is this is your opinion, which you are entitled to. I do find that many times when people make comments like you have, they tend to feel technical skills and speed are "good" and "basic" playing is boring. IMO, a lot of rock-n-roll is pretty basic. I can appreciate technical...
  20. T

Rolling Stones under rated musicians?

So really, this ends the thread IMO. Many will basically say the same thing in different waysas this thread goes on, but this is short, to the point, and nails it.
  21. T

Zac Brown fronting the Foo Fighters doing War Pigs

Is there a video with the Wilson sisters?
  22. T

Zac Brown fronting the Foo Fighters doing War Pigs

From the standpoint of musci we get to see today, it was nice to see and I enjoyed it. Didn't like it being a shortened version, but expected that for tv. Also, as others mentioned, would have preferred Zac Brown sung all of it, and didn't particularly care for any of the lead play. But...
  23. T

Driskill Diabolo

Definitely one of my better ideas, and Joe was able to make it work, as it was a challenge on the higher frets as they get narrow.
  24. T

Driskill Diabolo

Here is a picture of mine: I am lucky enough to have my own link on Joe's page, so there are more pictures there: http://www.driskillguitars.com/Tim.htm This guitar was my number one the day I received it. It came the day I had a gig, which was pretty neat. I wound up selling my PRS...
  25. T

help me find a lighter weight practice (combo) amp

I have, and love, a Rivera Suprema 55 combo amp. I believe they weigh 70 pounds. Looks like our band is going into a new practice space in which I will have to bring my won amp back and forth. Don't want to be hauling this beast around everytime we practice. Also would like the price range...