• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Search results

1. Wag

You think tube overdrive is impossible with your Twin or Bandmaster amp? Think again...

The Twin Reverb and the Bandmaster. Their reputation is infamous. As clean as the day is long. No one knows this better than me. I own both amps. So, a few weeks ago Im browsing some DIY pedal websites and I run across the schematic for the "Valvecaster", a tube-based, clean boost/overdrive...
  2. Wag

Need help troubleshooting a Peavey Encore 65 (clean/dirty switching circuit)

Checking out this encore 65 for a friend. The initial problem being distorted output and no switching between clean/dirty channels (no illumination of pump led). Did a quick check of tubes, footswitch and speaker. All in working order. Pulled the chassis and found an optocoupler (ldr2) with a...
  3. Wag

I need to *positively* identify the circuit in my SFTR. Help!

I bought my Twin used....very used.....many years ago. At that time, a gentleman told me that it was an UL-135W version (after seeing a photo of the innerds). I had no reason to doubt him, so all this time I assumed that's what it was. But here recently I've been reading up on some of the...
  4. Wag

Bridge pins and the Morgan Monroe Blues 32. This is (WOW!) exciting stuff!

Ok...I lied. It's not really exciting stuff. But now that you're here, you might as well stay.... I love my little Blues 32. I bought it back in '08 w/ HSC for $200. A pretty good deal even at '08 prices. I've been using light gauge (11's?) Elixir nanoweb strings. Today I found 4 packs of...
  5. Wag

The Wood Brothers - Just speading the love....

There's been a few Wood Bros. threads here, but the way I see it, you can't have too many. I'm sitting here grooving on their tunes today so I thought I'd share a few of my favorites. Oliver is one of my mostest favoritest guitarists. I just love his easy, relaxed style. And as much as I love...
  6. Wag

Rainy Sundays and Taj Mahal. Coincidence? I think not.

Yea...pouring down here today. Kinda blah. Kinda blues. Kinda Taj Mahal. nKvRi-xbZYg This has got to be one of my favorites. Like all good blues, it simple, uncluttered and to the point. And Taj plays it like it no one else can. Makes it look so easy.... (It just tickles me when he shakes...
  7. Wag

Magnavox NOS tubes - Who "really" made them?

A few weeks ago I ran across a late '50 Magnavox Stereo unit. It had three things going for it: 1) It still worked 2) It had tubes 3) It had a "can't pass it up" price Plus...I think there is an obscure TGP rule that mandates "old stereo snatching" It still has all the original Magnavox...
  8. Wag

Just snatched up tickets to see Big Head Todd and the Monsters!

I'm really looking forward to this concert. My first time seeing BHTM live. They will be playing at the Cox Capitol Theater in Macon on the 4th. The Cox only seats 400 people and to see a band of this caliber in such an intimate setting is sure to be intense. I'm as giddy as a teenage girl...
  9. Wag

My Looper is making me loopy! It's about time.

Picked up a Ditto looper recently on sale. It's my first experience using a looper. I like the Ditto. It works well and is easy to operate. In the few weeks that I've had the unit, I've used it like most folks do: - record a basic track - add a little melody to provide some depth - toss in a...
  10. Wag

Did Stuart Copeland (The Police) have one of the best sounding snares ever?

I've never been a huge fan of The Police though I do like a few of their tunes. But I was listening/watching one of their concerts on youtube tonight (circa 1983) and after awhile the sound of Copeland's snare really caught my attention for the first time. I did a little googling and found out...
  11. Wag

New Blues? From Europe?

It's hard to find something not to love here.... LE3wceDmjyg 2an_lozAeKg
  12. Wag

What to do with a 60's Silvertone Hi Fi amp/cab

Today I snatched up an old Silvertone Hi Fi for $25. My initial intentions were to gut the cabinet and make it into a small "Bandmaster type" speaker cab with two 10 or 12 inch speakers in it. Then there is the added bonus of the tube amp in it and putting it to some good use. I am not sure if...
  13. Wag

Almost makes me wish I did have a Fender Champ.... (almost)

Even if you don't have a Champ, it's a good way to kick off a Saturday Night! 1sgkongfeEc&
  14. Wag

Halo of Flies - LIVE!

I consider Alice Cooper an essential ingredient in my Rock & Roll stew. To a point. He lost me in the late 70's and beyond. But... Love it to Death Killer School's Out Billion Dollar Babies & Muscle of Love Yes indeed. These 5 albums have become a permanent part of my soul and I couldn't give...
  15. Wag

Whoa! Almost fried my Bandmaster last night!

A buddy of mine recently bought a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe and brought it out to the house last night so he could open up the throttle on it a bit. (I have one of those isolated dwelling where "too loud" is just a theory.) Nice amp. Sounded real sweet. But I digress... I fire up my Bandmaster and...
  16. Wag

Do you have a "technique" for filing nut slots?

The reason I ask is.... I can find it difficult at times to keep the file within the correct plane for more than a few strokes. A little yaw or skew and it immediately binds in the slot. I try to be as precise as possible but it's inevitable (and frustrating). Using VERY short strokes helps...
  17. Wag

Retubing a Marshall JCM 900. Recommendations needed.

I got a buddy that owns a JCM 900 Mk III (2502). He likes how the amp sounds with his Gibson LP. It has that classic Marshall crunch and tone. But with his Strat plugged in, it sounds a bit shrill with a definite lack of bottom end. We've ruled out the guitar as the problem. It plays/sounds like...
  18. Wag

Tube gurus: Can you "Brand" these preamp tubes?

I was going through my tube stash recently and at one point I had some of my 12AX7/7025 tubes in a pile. They are all old tubes that have little of the markings left on them and I was just curious if someone could ID the original manufacturer? Here is a group photo: (the first three still have...
  19. Wag

Making a bone nut: Redux - Confidence run amok!

The most important thing I have learned when it comes to making nuts: Don't be scared! I think I have finally licked my "nutophobia". I hope my trials will help others who want to learn this skill. It's definitely one of those "If I can do it anybody can do it" things. So with my Epi Jr...
  20. Wag

Making my first bone nut! Oh my...

I don't know why the idea of making a nut scares me so, but I finally dove in the pool. I used my Epi LP Junior for my guinea pig. Once I get this one under my belt I plan to tackle some of my more expensive guitars. I don't have the nut glued in yet. It still needs a bit more shaping but much...
  21. Wag

Reverend Willy. Seriously....

I made a "batch" string purchase a few months ago. In addition to the 10's I normally buy, I was feeling a little frisky and grabbed several sets of strings that I had never tried. I wanted to put some 11's on my LP so I tossed a few different brands of this size in my shopping bag. This worked...
  22. Wag

Sharp notes near the nut

First, my story... I've had some issues with my Les Paul. It's a 2011 model that has been plekked. When playing single notes or chords below the 5th fret I noticed they were often sharp, especially on the G,B & e strings. I'd wrestle with the tuning abit. Blame the guitar. Blame the cold...