• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Search results

1. Alchemist XP

Boss GT1000 - Incredible String Definition ...

For me, the Helix was great for recording, but it just felt squashed and compressed in terms of feel. The UI was aweswome, though and I think better than the GT1000 although the GT1000 is totally fine and not that difficult to figure out. The bluetooth capability of the GT1000 for patch...
  2. Alchemist XP

Boss clearly approached the digital amp problem differently than Helix, Fractal and Kemper. Best way to describe it is the Boss has more of an "unpolished" feel and the digital compression that I find when playing the others somehow records very nicely and even "sounds" good in the mix, but it...
  3. Alchemist XP

I've been playing guitar for 35 years ... started as a kid ... have played, owned, borrowed and flipped just about every piece of gear imaginable. Have owned at least 50 Boogies, Marshall's Fender tube amps and a lot of high end boutiques too. MV's and NMV's ... played at high volume. 50+...
  4. Alchemist XP

What guitar brand do you have the most of?

A tie between Gibson and Melancon
  5. Alchemist XP

Headless 13-Pin Synth Ready Guitar? Who makes good ones???

Which guitar (not headless) were you thinking of?
  6. Alchemist XP

Headless 13-Pin Synth Ready Guitar? Who makes good ones???

Does anyone know of any easy to purchase, well made electric guitars that: Headless Design - uses double ball end strings Solid body Electric with a tremolo bar Has built in 13 pin pickup that will work with the Roland/Boss synth effects boxes Ideally, a Fender scale Ideally in an H/H setup but...
  7. Alchemist XP

Boss CP1X - YMMV

I personally have no bias at all against digital effects and use them all the time, including digital compression. I was just stating what I've observed. I tend to prefer analog drive pedals, although I am extremely impressed by the drives in the Boss OD 200 and GT 1000 and find the feel and...
  8. Alchemist XP

Boss CP1X - YMMV

Extreme bias against anything digital is the primary reason. A lot of people don't want a digital compressor in the mix.
  9. Alchemist XP

New BOSS GT-1000 Guitar Effects Processor

What is the thinking these days about who is putting out the best FR/FR amplifiers that are the best match for the GT1000? I'm playing it through the FX return of a EVH5150iii 50w6L6, FX return of Bogner Helios 50 (EL34's) and through a Traynor 100w Keyboard amp with tube driven preamp (lots of...
  10. Alchemist XP

20 watt amp for exquisite classic rock tones?

Marshall Mini Jubilee ... Classic Rock Tones galore ... surprisingly fantastic cleans as well ...
  11. Alchemist XP

You're right, I meant "Pedalboard mode" ... I'm sure there's an "easy" way to edit the amplifier in this mode, but I'm just not seeing it. I'm talking about the larger GT1000 floor unit, not the core.
  12. Alchemist XP

Thanks! Worked perfectly ... Now I'm I'm trying to figure out how you edit the settings on the amp block when in Stompbox Mode ... Do you have to go into the Chain FX Editing mode or am I missing something much simpler while in the stompbox view?
  13. Alchemist XP

I just bought a used GT1000 and can't figure out how to determine which firmware version I have. Anyone know how to get that from the unit itself (not from hooking it up to my computer)? Thanks in advance for any help with this.
  14. Alchemist XP

EVH noodling around on a stock Stratocaster

If there has ever been anyone alive that express more absolute sheer joy while playing the guitar than EVH, I'd love to know who it is. Watching him play is simply watching a very special being enjoying his art to the max.
  15. Alchemist XP

Quick Update: I ended up getting the the GT1000 last night ($600, very clean) and played with it for about an hour and do think, on first glance, it sounds and feels great. Les Paul > Skreddy Lunar Module Mini Deluxe > GT1000 > FX Return of EVH5150 iii (6L6 50w) Tried several Boss amps...
  16. Alchemist XP

Thanks for reply! I had the Helix for a few months after it came out and flipped it mostly because of the feel ... just felt too compressed ... the tones were good and it recorded really well though and I really liked the UI, but it just felt off under my fingers. Truth is, though, it's not...
  17. Alchemist XP

So what's the overall thinking on the GT 1000 from those of you that have used it awhile? How does it compare in tone quality to the Kemper/Axe/Helix competitors? I've got a chance to pick one up for about $600 and am thinking about it. Have always loved Boss gear but got away from MFX...
  18. Alchemist XP

Why didn’t EVH make more music?

Seriously, Eddie recorded a ton of music ... 12+ albums ... lots of live stuff ...
  19. Alchemist XP

What do you do when you break a single string?

I buy bulk singles on Juststrings.com ... They come 10-12 in a pack ... pretty inexpensive. For whatever reason, 99% of the time I break strings at the bridge, usually the high E, B and D strings. When I was a kid and had little money, I would never clip my "extra" string at the tuners and...
  20. Alchemist XP

I dare you - What's the best-sounding amp you've ever played?

I was going to say the same thing ... have been absolutely amazed at how great this amp sounds and feels. I'm not a heavy metal player at all and find the cleans, bluesy grit and creamy overdrive just perfect ... quiet ... good FX loop ... well voiced EQ ... loves pedals. And it sounds...
  21. Alchemist XP

I’ve owned and gigged them all Fractal is the best.

Could not agree more! That 5150iii 50 watt 6L6 version is a fantastic amp for many (all?) different styles of music. I bought it expecting to flip it within a week ... that was over a year ago. It's one of my all time favorite amps. Super easy to dial in ... Quiet ... good FX loop...
  22. Alchemist XP

I’ve owned and gigged them all Fractal is the best.

To me, the feel of playing through a Fractal rig is that the signal just feels compressed in some way ... not as dynamic ... not as alive. Great tones and very usable ... but tamed in some way that I find distasteful. There is something that happens to an analog guitar signal that goes...
  23. Alchemist XP

I don’t get pedals. What’s the big deal?

Overdrive, compression and boost pedals give you instant control of live tones and volume levels that are more difficult (not impossible) without them. Depending on the song and context, drive pedals can be essential to get the right fit with the mix and an instantaneous shift at certain points...
  24. Alchemist XP

Discuss: Your favourite Marshall is actually...

Mini Jubilee - Just love that amp ... great tones at moderate volumes ... perfect FX loop ... Best EQ of any Marshall I've ever had or played Bogner Helios 50 - It's a perfect Marshall style amp ... museum of the best 60's-80's Marshall tones. No compromises.
  25. Alchemist XP

A Surprisingly Astounding Amp ... Everyone should try ...

First off, I am a HUGE Mesa fan and have owned 6 of them over the years starting with my first really good tube amp, a Mark IV combo. Still have a TA-30 that I will NEVER sell. I found the 5150 to be much easier to dial in than most Boogie amps (The TA-30 is easy as well) ... I tried the...