• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Search results

1. D

Rolling Stones Voodoo Lounge, Love is Strong tones...how'd they get them?

Just heard this Rolling Stones song for the first time today, and wow...some really great guitar tones on it. Anyone have any idea what gear they used on this album, specifically this song? I Google'd, but to no avail....thanks in advance!
  2. D

Marshall JCM800 4x12 cabinet with faded black grillecloth

Hi all, I have a JCM800 slant 4x12 that has brown grillecloth. My understanding is this was a run of grillecloth that was made incorrectly and was apt to fading to brown, and Marshall realized this and corrected it. Frankly I love the look, but what I'd LIKE to do is turn this slant cabinet...
  3. D

Wizard vs. (Insert Marshall type of your choice)

I've Googled, and there ain't a ton of info on Wizard amps, likely because they're $$$ as heck.....but, they appear to be awesome, so I'm curious if any of y'all have owned a Wizard (of some type...vintage or modern classic...) and also owned a comparable other amp (Germino, Marshall, Top Hat...
  4. D

Worst Noise Ever

Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 50, early version with the "crappy" PCB (which I've not had any trouble with...perhaps due to the 50w vs. 100w setup?). Anyway. Tinker tinker....replaced most (soon to be all) coupling caps in the .0047 to .1uf range with Sozo NextGen caps (nice), installed choke in place...
  5. D

Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 50 tinkering

I posted this over on the Amp Garage forum but have received no responses, so I'm re-posting this here for some added help. :) I came across a great deal on an older Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 50 head and am trying to make the best of it. It's yet to display the runaway bias drift issue, and other...
  6. D

Best way to clean grill cloth?

Picked up a used 4x12 Marshall cab from the mid-80's and it has the black-faded-to-brown grill that I love. Someone years back must have spilled something on it (food? taco sauce?) and I want to clean it up, but need to know how to best clean the grill cloth without messing it up. Not looking...
  7. D

4x12 cab(s) setup

Hi all, I recently came into my third 4 x 12 Marshal cabinet and I'm curious as to what you all recommend as far as speakers. As it stands now, I have a Marshall 1960 BX cabinet with Celestion Heritage Greenbacks, an early-80's Marshall JCM 800 1982 B cab with G12-65s, and just picked up a...
  8. D

Heritage Greenbacks and G12-65s, and how my ears have changed

Or perhaps it's just my tastes have changed. Or the cabs are different (they are). I have a 1960BX cabinet from about 1997 that has a quad of very new Heritage Greenbacks in it. It's a beautiful cab, but is kinda stiff, and it seems to me that the Heritage Greenbacks need to get up and...
  9. D

Marshall...but which one?

Hi all, Looking to get a head for my 4x12s, settling on "Marshall". Looking at JCM 2000 DSL either 50 or 100w used, or a new DSL100H...heard pros and cons for both...seems like the JCM2000s have a good rep but are discontinued...found a few good used options around. DSL100H is made in Vietnam...
  10. D

RCA 5R4GYB tube dating

Hi all, Not sure if this is the correct forum, but oh well. Was at an antique shop yesterday and scored three RCA black plate 5R4GYB tubes yesterday. No boxes, but in apparently good condition. No way to test them, but figured, what the heck....it'd been a loooong time since I purchased...
  11. D

Traynor YCV 20 dead upon arrival

Hi all, I was trying to hit up the Amp Garage forum, but apparently it's being attacked by malware/hackers at the moment and Chrome won't let me in. Probably for the best, as I don't like viruses.... When last I checked, there were some pretty knowledgeable people here, so what the...
  12. D

Germino Lead 55LV

Hi all, Been eyeing a Germino Lead 55LV, and am wondering if anyone here has: 1) opinions on the Master Volume and tube/SS recto options, and 2) has one with the new, 30w output transformer. Thanks!
  13. D

AC/DC - Soul Stripper - Amps and Cabs

Hey all, I REALLY dig the guitar tone in this song. What I've gathered so far is that the Young Brothers were using Marshall 100w heads...probably super leads (1959?)...and running them through 4x12's with either Greenbacks or G12H's. The guitar tone just kills me. So good. Does anyone...
  14. D

Another 4x12, or keep the 2x12?

Hello all, I'm hoping you can help with my indecisiveness.... I have a Marshall 1960BX cabinet that I loaded up with a quad of Heritage M speakers. It is a very nice cabinet. I also have a Mojotone 2x12 cab that allows me to run it closed or open back. It is also a very nice...
  15. D

Honky Tonk Women

What's going on there? I can figure out what guitars are being used, but does anyone know what amps were used in recording this track? I'm not particularly a Stones fan, but my goodness the guitar tone on that track just kills me. And yes, I've searched the internet before, but things...
  16. D

Recommendations for next cabinet

Hi all, Currently own two mid-60's Princetons and a late '90s Top Hat Club Royale. I've got the small amp thing covered, so I'm looking big. Like fun big. Like probably impractical big, but something that puts a smile on my face when I strike a first-position G chord. I'm looking to cover...
  17. D

Recommended Pedalboards...

Hello all, I'm in the market for a larger pedalboard. The one I was using was a home-made one that fits neatly in a case. Here's a pic: IIRC it's about 11" deep and about 20" inches wide....but regardless, I'm going to need something bigger with the new pedals I've acquired. I'm...
  18. D

What pedal(s) for an Angus/Malcolm Young-ish tone with a Germino Classic 45?

I know, I know, there are many "eras" to AC/DC's tone, but you all know what I mean...that low-ish gain, full sounding, rich, clean-distortion thing, but at a controllable volume. I'm running a Germino Classic 45 head into a closed back 2x12 with Heritage G12Ms, and have been using a Tim...
  19. D

Germino Classic 45...can it give me Tweed Bassman vibe with the right setup?

Hello all, I'm really enjoying my Germino Classic 45 head into an oversized closed-back 2x12 Mojotone cabinet with a Celestion Blue and a Heritage G12M. Swap in EL34s, a SS rectifer, rebias, and I'm getting close to JMP feel. Leave it stock with KT-66s and run my Tele or Gretsch and it's...
  20. D

Les Paul Gold Top...the great search

Hello all, I'm finally at the point where I'd like to find a *good* Les Paul. And it must be a Gold Top. I've wanted one since the days of seeing Slash and Stone Gossard playing these beauties, but have in the past veered away from the LP due to owning an Epiphone back in the day that...
  21. D

Princetons....which one should I keep?

Hello there. Long time, no post. I hope all is well with you in Gearpageland. I'm contemplating selling one of my two Fender Princetons. If you go to this page.... http://www.thevintagesound.com/ffg/princeton_bf.html ...the pictures there are basically what I have. I have one 1964...
  22. D

Ruby EL34BHT?

Has anyone tried this tube yet, and specifically, can anyone speak to its differences/similarities with the EL34B-STR? I really like the STR version, but am curious about the BHT....
  23. D

Mojotone Bluesbreaker 2x12 vs. Select 2x12 extension cabs

Hello all, I'm looking at several cabinets to use with my Germino Classic 45, two of which are: Mojotone Bluesbreaker extension 2x12 (closed back) Mojotone Select 2x12 cab (convertible open/closed back). I'm curious if anyone has used these different Mojo cabs and can speak to their...
  24. D

Crossover point between Germino Classic 45 and Club 40?

Hello all, I have a Classic 45 and love it. It's a 2x12 combo, but I'm looking to ditch the cab and get into a head/closed back cabinet setup. This amp gives me Malcolm Young and enough Fender to keep me curious but without eclipsing the Marshall Rock factor. However, I'm hearing some nice...
  25. D

2x12 closed back cabinet dimensions

Hello all, I'm looking for a good 2x12 to pair with my Germino Classic 45 and am wondering if there is a recommended size to make the most out of this amp. I know 4x12s are ideal, but they are also very large....as in, my car can't fit a 4x12 inside of it, so the cab would be staying home all...