• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Search results

1. xmd5a

Something different; 30" scale 6 string bass strung like as a normal guitar

I wanted to share something uncommon, which I think a lot of guitarists would like if they knew it was possible. I bought a "Squier Vintage Modified Baritone Jazzmaster - Antigua" about a year ago, and it has a scale length of 30". For a few months I used it as a baritone as intended, but I got...
  2. xmd5a

Using a flat bar and a hammer to level frets...

The subject of this post might sound crude and crazy, but this is the story; I bought an $800 National Tricone clone, but about two months after receiving it, the 10th and 11th frets on the high E and B died. I took it to a guitar repair place that is highly regarded in the area, and they...
  3. xmd5a

Potential mods/upgrades that could increase the used value of a guitar

I saw this comment in another thread https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/is-not-having-a-coa-a-dealbreaker-when-buying-a-custom-historic-lp.2168054/#post-30891888 Which makes me wonder; can anyone think of an upgrade/mod that genuinely increases the value of a guitar? I know...
  4. xmd5a

Cleaning polyurethane finishes; my experience with

On the market there are "guitar cleaners" like Dunlop or Music Nomad One, I've got them as Christmas presents in the past, but they don't seem to work much better than (the reasonably soft) water from my tap. But neither seems to address the #1 source of dirtiness on my guitars (and I assume...
  5. xmd5a

Caline Pure Sky Gut Shot

I took apart a Caline Pure Sky and shot some pics of the board. I'm curious to know if this might be a Timmy clone. I'll try my best to figure it out on my own, but maybe someone else can tell just be glancing at it. This is easily my favorite OD pedal, it matches what is said about the Timmy...
  6. xmd5a

Super cheap optical compressor pedals

I bought the "Hotone Skyline Komp Analog Opto LA2A Style Optical Compressor" on Amazon , only $51 and it claims to be an optical compressor. The next cheapest optical compressor I see is $90 from "BYOC", and the majority are in the $150 - $200 range, so if this really is an optical compressor...
  7. xmd5a

5e3 alternate speaker options, trying to pull back the mids

I put together a 2x12 5e3 with P12Q16's in parallel, because I also have a 1x12 with a P12Q8 which sounds really great. What I loved about the 1x12 5e3 with the P12Q8 is that it had a good low end and brightness for a small, 12 watt amp, but this 2x12 is more mid-rangey. It's a hard amp to...
  8. xmd5a

Questions about the Memory Man...

When I hear the demos of the Memory Man, the first thought that comes to my mind is "this is the delay sound I've heard in my head and on the radio forever, but never achieve with the various delay pedals I own." and so I notice that the Memory Man has a lot more knobs than a typical delay...
  9. xmd5a

OD pedal sounding out FM radio station, why?

Im usually a big proponent of Joyo pedals, but this Joyo OD pedal is showing it's $29.95 price tag by putting out our local NPR FM station when I turn the gain or volume up. Question is, is the interference coming from some nearby broadcast tower, or amplifier, at audio frequencies, or can an...
  10. xmd5a

Good clean Blackstar heads?

I'm borrowing a friend's Blackstar Artist 30 2x12 combo, and the clean sound of that amp is really killer. It's a good "pedal platform", and it has a legitimate sparkle to it. The amp isn't high gain at all, it's really great at what it does. I'm thinking of acquiring a Blackstar head, are any...
  11. xmd5a

Roland Jazz Chorus - can you get the same goodness with other amps?

A friend of mine scored a little JC-40 in mint condition from a garage sale. I'd never tried and Jazz Chorus, and wow, the spacial chorus was amazing. It's clearly the sound of 80's chorus, a real time machine of an amp. Here's the thing, I've used stereo amp setups with stereo effects. I even...
  12. xmd5a

Super Reverb tone stack cap value changes

I'm interested in getting a little more low end rumble from my Super Reverb. I feel the bass control is more of a "mids" control, as compared to the Twin Reverb. I understand they're the same cap values for both amps, but nevertheless. I can only find talk about increasing the mids, people...
  13. xmd5a

Is vintage Fender quality a myth?

TBH, when I read about how Fender started out, when I read about how they hired help off the street to pump out guitars, I always found it odd that semi-skilled craftsman were pumping out quality guitars, even before CBS came along and cut even more corner than a Fender inherently cuts by...
  14. xmd5a

Bridge saddles that makes a Telecaster sound like a sitar

I recently ordered these saddles for vintage style Tele bridges, which make the guitar sound a lot like a sitar, and installed them in a late vintage MIJ Tele. You might be thinking, you hear this sound whenever you get fret buzz, but it's not the same, this sound is very "sitar" like. Setting...
  15. xmd5a

Any way to keep track of new products from Fender and Gibson/Epiphone?

Every so often it seems that Gibson / Epiphone or Fender will release a special limited edition run guitar in a different color, and they just seem to show up on Sweetwater or wherever without much fan fare as far as I can tell. The NAMM models get a lot of press, but oftentimes there are other...
  16. xmd5a

Is there something about Fender circuit design that is conducive to cleans?

It's common to see people say that Fender amps have the best clean tone, but what I'm wondering is, why? I've tried searching for talk about what makes their circuitry conducive to good clean tones, but I can't find much, just talk about the fact that it "is" the best, not "why". That's why I'm...
  17. xmd5a

More low end from a 5e3 2x12?

I've had a 5e3 1x12 clone for a while, plenty of low end there. Like a lot of people, I wanted a 5e3 with more speaker happening, so I bought a 2x12 cab sized for a 5e3, and loaded it with two P12Q16 in parallel. The downside is that I'm not getting as much low end out of this 2x12 as I do my...
  18. xmd5a

What if Strats were a brand new design?

The recent release of the Parallel Universe guitars got me thinking, if Strats had never been invented, and Fender just unveiled this thing at NAMM 2019, how would you judge this crazy Telecaster thing, with three single coils? Personally, I think I would really like the shape, but I would...
  19. xmd5a

Combo + Cab Impedance Mismatching

I have an issue, I've Googled the issue to no avail. I have a Marshall JVM410C combo, the 2x12 internals are plugged into the 1x16: then I have a Marshall cab with an input like this: The proper way to set this up to to have both the cab and the internal speakers in the "2x16 OHM"...
  20. xmd5a

Charging AlNiCo with neodymium vs electromagnetic chargers

I have some neo's I use for charging AlNiCos. I've been told that the neo's won't charge the AlNiCo as strong as an electromagnetic charger, because the AlNiCo requires something like 3000 oersted for a full charge. Does anyone know how much weaker we're talking by just using neos for charging...