• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Search results

1. 1

Folks who have owned Boss RV-6 and TC HOF2

Which did you keep and why? Also, did you use them live? That would really help to know which was in the mix better. Sure there are tons of comparison threads but they are inconclusive. I'd love to hear from folks that put both to the test on their boards and know which came away the winner...
  2. 1

Tried revive my All Boss pedalboard... and...

I am not so sure I am happy with it. There's a BCB6 Boss pedal board I've had for years. It used to be my only pedal board and I gigged it a ton. After starting with DOD in junior high I quickly landed my first Boss SD1 Super Overdrive and then added a Flanger (long lost now), PS2 Pitch Shifter...
  3. 1

Recommend the Best Songs to Learn for Country Cover Band

So I’m a person that likes country music but is no expert. I’m also looking to play in some local outfits when lockdowns end and this is as good a time as any to practice. Recommend some hits from yesterday (70s-90s) AND today (say the last 10-12 years til now) that are a must in the...
  4. 1

Need opinions on pickups in my Tele

So I’ve had my Tele for years now. It’s an ‘03 AVRI. It’s always remained stock but I generally found it didn’t get played as much as it deserved and part of that was feel. Last year I took the plunge and had the neck sanded and gun oiled and fretboard re-radiused to 9.5 with 6105 frets by a...
  5. 1

Converting a Fender Princeton Reverb to a 12" Speaker

After suffering some damage my Fender Princeton Reverb is in need of a new cabinet. It is still housed in it's original cabinet but since a replacement cab is due it seemed like a good time to consider whether there is a benefit to a 12" speaker. Princeton's are wonderful amps but there is a...
  6. 1

Mono M80 DUAL Case questions and conundrums - is it worth it vs single cases?

Mono Dual Cases are expensive but they seem like the best solution for carrying two axes. I already own an M80 electric and an M80 Acoustic (which carries my Gretsch, Martin or 335). Now I am trying to decide the best dual combo. This seems especially true when going to places where you really...
  7. 1

Are Fender AVRIs getting more expensive?

Ever since they were discontinued the Fender AVRIs seem to be going up, up, up. Whether a Jazzmaster, Tele or Strat they are now going for $1600-1800+ in my area. This is surprising since the American Originals and Vinteras are not that far off. If anything I was hoping to snag an AVRI...
  8. 1

Guitar Brands & Models that are so consistent you can buy online, sight unseen

There's few brands I feel comfortable buying online at regular or premium prices unless there's a return policy. That is because these brands and models are so high quality there's a rough idea of the final product without needing to put it through heavy paces. What comes immediately to mind...
  9. 1

Revisiting the forgotten Lovepedal Eternity

Remembering back in the 00's when the Eternity was the "must have" pedal of the day it's amazing how the Eternity is rarely talked about these days. There's been a handful popping up online lately and the prices are all over the map but certainly lower than they were way back when it was very...
  10. 1

Charvel DK22 SSS Roasted Maple - part with my SoCal for one?

So here's the deal... I LOVE CHARVEL on every level but I am really not a SuperStrat player on so many levels. Sometimes I am asked to lay some 80s metal vibes for select tracks or I need a Strat that plays a little more slick than my vintage reissue and the Charvel SoCal is awesome. I replaced...
  11. 1

Boss FA-1 and clones (JHS Clover, Retrosonic Boost FA1 etc)

We all know the Boss FA-1 is a key part of The Edge's tone and internet samples certainly sound great. Unfortunately I've never gotten to try one. After years of messing with boosts I own a Soul Food, Zvex SHO clone and TC Spark Boost. So far th Spark Boost has stayed on my board and really...
  12. 1

Can the Dimarzio Area 67 replace a Fender CS69 set?

Love the CS69s, always have. Sold a guitar with the Area 58-58-61 set last year after a successful decade with that set. Never tried the Area 67s. The 69s are divine though lord knows I need boosters to get some thickness but it's hard to replicate that sweet vocal tone and glass as well as...
  13. 1

JHS Muffaletta v owning a ton of Muff reissues

In the process of recording a bunch of Muff-laden tracks of late I've been using various EHX Muff reissues such as the Op-Amp, Triangle, Russian and Ram's Head. At this time the Op-Amp gets use for the wall of sound stuff and the Triangle and Russian get stereo treatment for a lot of other...
  14. 1

Hmmm I don't love my Duncan Antiquities

Before anyone loses their mind... these are great pickups. Read on. After searching high and low for a set of double cream Antiquities I found a pair and installed them over a year ago. We are well past any possibly honeymoon and I just don't love them. Having regularly used the Alnico 2 Pro...
  15. 1

EVH Wolfgang Stealth... gateway drug to Ernie Ball Music Man Axis?

So I got a great deal on a EVH Wolfgang Stealth. Liked it so far but darn these guitars have the worst setups. Tried a bunch in store that were just a mess and then this one showed up and it has a light fret sprout, some uneven frets and so on. Nonetheless, with some TLC it seems to sound and...
  16. 1

Help me understand the PRS Silver Sky

I've played them... they some cool but I'd like to understand from the addicts in here what was the appeal over a high end Strat? Fandom aside... what made you drop the coin to own one? Was it the large '63-style neck carve? Do the 3-per-side tuners give a slinkier feel? Is the feel that...
  17. 1

Fender CS69 Strat pickups First World Problems - What would you do?

CS69s have always been a favorite but I'd never fully committed to them (esp in the bridge) until recently. Not too long ago I found my #1 (a 69 Strat RI) and I know this to be the case because I not only had to have the guitar when I played it but I haven't put it down ever since. Here's the...
  18. 1

Versatile, higher output pickup set that cleans up

Loving my Charvel So Cal but the Duncan Distortions are little too much of everything. They kinda push every amp into a dirty clean no matter what I do. They don't back off that well with volume. I already have PAF sounds covered so this guitar is my hot-rodded choice. The DD's positives are...
  19. 1

Help me decide if the Helix/Kemper plunge is the right thing

There are many threads like this but this one is my own. Like many folks here I am pretty simple in terms of rig. Classic guitar (Strat, LP, Tele, etc) -> pedal board (with dirt, delay mod, boost) into a tube amp. There are some variations where I might use the tube amps dirt and run mod...
  20. 1

2019 Gibson 50s LP P90 v 2018 LP Classic P90

Barring 2018 Classics with thin necks, there are Clsssics with a nice, normal sized neck isn't a baseball bat (which I don't love anyway)... What are the key differences between these guitars and is it a major difference in feel and tone?
  21. 1

I've given up on a Nocaster, how about Nocaster pickups?

At $2500 used, I've given up on a Nocaster. I am in love with the idea of a 9.5" radius neck with 6105's having recently made the mod to another guitar, so I am about to do it to my AVRI52 RI. It's not a Nocaster but I love it and can't see myself selling it plus $1500 to get a Nocaster, and...
  22. 1

Making my Strat easier to play - refret? lighter gauge?

Frankly this could go for my Tele too. I love my Fenders, esp my Strat. Part of it's charm is the bell-like tone and brightness, but darn if the vintage frets combined with tens don't make it a lot more effort. This despite having a low action. There's no way a vintage Strat should play like...
  23. 1

Fulltone Supa Trem 2 v Supa Trem Jr

The Fulltone Supa Trem 2 is my all-time fave tremolo pedal. How does the JR model compare? Is it equally as good? Would love to save the pedal board space.
  24. 1

Seymour Duncan Distortion has me re-thinking high output pickups

For a number of years I have moved from high output pickups to low output, vintage style PAFs and I have generally been quite happy. In the past I have tried some of Dimarzio and SD high output offerings but they often felt like a dirt pedal was on all the time, and I could never get them to...
  25. 1

Poll: Charvel v EVH Wolfang Special v Ibanez RG550 - for a non-shredder

After a lot of searching I've found Charvels and the EVH Wolfgang knock my socks off. The challenge is I can't have them all. Also, I can't decide which model of Charvel is best for my purposes. I want a shredder, but I am not really a shredder so all-round usability would be cool as well...