• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Search results

1. NotWesYet

Fender: Pro Reverb vs. Deluxe Reverb

I have a '71 Pro Reverb I have had since new and love it. But one Fender I was not aware of until I played it was the Vibrolux. A friend had a blackface model and it sounded wonderful at a much lower and more practical volume than the Pro Reverb...
  2. NotWesYet

Channel 1 Input Jack On Blackface Amp Works.....kinda

I would take it to a tech if you are not comfortable nor aware of the voltage present. I had a similar problem with Silverface Pro Reverb. The input jack was loose and in attempting to tighten it, the jack itself turned and broke the lead from the resistor. A tech can fix this easily. Or you...
  3. NotWesYet

Biasing '71 Pro Reverb-Simple Question

According to another forum he was an inspector for Fender. And they are having the same sort of discussion and questions about a '71 Super Reverb. https://www.tdpri.com/threads/what-circuit-is-in-my-1971-super-reverb.690747/
  4. NotWesYet

That hole is not from my amp, but THOSK. On mine, where that number would be is 10019 in very large letters, not engraved. I am thinking that since the amp was made in May of 71. D. Ledferd snuck a couple of bottles of gin in the plant for the spring picnic because he had the hots for the cute...
  5. NotWesYet

I think it is the same amp. Just a mythology that was created because he misread the original date and it carried on until, through the help of the guys here, we found the second stamp on the side of the chassis. That is fascinating about D. Ledferd. I did see his name come up a number of time...
  6. NotWesYet

I agree. We often forget the details but remember the experiences gained from owning the instruments. It must have been Christmas Eve '71 not '70 when I got it. I would have just turned 15. I remember more about arguing with the wonderful Mr. Smith and his wife Geraldine about how I could not...
  7. NotWesYet

It all makes sense. I was told it was '67 and never looked that closely as it was smudged. I must have gotten Christmas Eve 1971. I did find an amp chart illustrated, a little easier to read than the standard Fender and ordered all the various capacitors and the two bright switches. Less than...
  8. NotWesYet

There is a number and some magic marker writings. I will try and get a clean shot of it.
  9. NotWesYet

I did not think it was but have no idea what it is nor can I find one.
  10. NotWesYet

I just found another stamp date on the outside of the chassis on the left by the transformers. It is the same day as the one on the chassis but it says 1971, not 1967. I think this is a case of people being wonderfully fallible. LOL My friend once bought a VW Rabbit for next to nothing because...
  11. NotWesYet

I noticed those solder joints. You would think they were mine! LOL I have actually gotten pretty good and plan to go through everything and fix it. One the back is 100019 which I think indicates '67. The transformers' wires seem old compared to those from the tube sockets to the board. But I...
  12. NotWesYet

It may very well be that the chassis was lying around for a few years and then completed in '71. It could have been damaged in shipping and repaired at the store and sold as new when I got it. It doesn't really matter. It is just a tool, albeit one with great sentimental value as it cost my dad...
  13. NotWesYet

Thank you and everyone for your help. I am having a blast fixing it and it always did sound great. And it did survive my New Wave Years, and those jazz gigs playing a Mosrite bass through it.... In high school I took advanced placement physics from a former NASA engineer. In order to try and...
  14. NotWesYet

That maybe the case. He disappeared with it the last time I took it in. Found out he had been evicted. Finally got the amp back. But as long as it sounds fine, I'm okay. Worse things happen in life.
  15. NotWesYet

Thank you for the info. It might have been 1971 when I got it. And the date is smeared because I rubbed it trying to clean it. I did see a pic of a 1971 Super Reverb that had the same cosmetics that mine came with originally. Thanks for everyone's help.
  16. NotWesYet

Thank you for your insights! Printed in ink on the back of the chassis is 10019.
  17. NotWesYet

It is May 9, 1967. And it is stamped D. L. Ledferd and 6235 is stamped twice. He may have done unnecessary work but he never charged me. I used to send him a lot of work from the kids and profs at the college and he always called me "The Professor." I know I got it Christmas Eve in 1970. My...
  18. NotWesYet

I think that may have been done during the rebuild in 2001. Or that could have been done more recently. I think there may be very little from the original amp except the chassis, circuit board and tube label which indicates it is AA165. I don't recall that kind of wiring before I took it to him...
  19. NotWesYet

The bias pot does not change the power to either tube but rather increases or decreases the overall voltage. So I am not sure which one that would be. It was purchased new in 1970. It had been on the floor of Smith Music House for a year or two, and dear Mr. Smith gave me a heck of a deal on...
  20. NotWesYet

Thank you! It did come with a silverface but the there is a stamp on the chassis stating it was made in May 9 of 1967. I got it new but the silverface plate was in pretty bad shape when I had it restored, so we went with the blackface. I do not know to eat extent the tech changed things. He was...
  21. NotWesYet

Thank you again. Would those be the brown disc? The noise does increase when I adjust the tone controls. I do need to take a class or course on amp repair.
  22. NotWesYet

@ Blue Strat Thanks again. I installed the new tubes and used the VHT bias meter. One of the sockets on the meter did not seem to work. But I swapped the working one for both tubes and set it at 40 and it is a quiet as can be. The only thing I can see is that when I go to touch the bright...
  23. NotWesYet

Thank you so much! I have copied many of yours and others previous comments to my Notepad on the Mac! You guys are great! The old tubes are not bad, but they are old and Peavy branded. I had a great tech who has maintained the amp over the years. I cracked one of the tubes trying to remove...
  24. NotWesYet

Hi All, I am about to replace the rectifier and 6l6's in my Pro Reverb and rebias. I have purchased the VHT Bias meter and the death cap had been removed sometime ago. So I think I can do this without a trip to the ER. The question is do I need to let the amp warm up? Or will the bias change...