Search results

1. schwa

Any “Incredible” small small combo recommendations?

When I think "classy, nice, well built, and pure", I think of the OG Carr Mercury. The original mercury lost some popularity when the Mercury V came out, but I think it remains a great amp, and now can be found at pretty good prices.
  2. schwa

Are "old" Historics less expensive?

Many of us are aware that Gibson Historic guitars have gotten annual "upgrades" not unlike automobiles do. Different finishes, hide glue, different pickups, etc. Almost every year for over 20 years. Does this make the earlier (older) Historic guitars less desirable? Should an R9 from 2002...
  3. schwa

"Best" interface for PC users

I'm not sure I agree. While I think it is possible to configure a PC to use Thunderbolt, I haven't seen many resources that have it working. I have a new PC with TB headers. Even the MOBO maker (in my case MSI) doesn't want to discuss adding TB. Can you recommend a card that will easily...
  4. schwa

I've done some more research, and it looks like the UCX II may be a good fit for me. I have an old reverb (M One) that I could plug in with the SPIF, and it looks like I could use my old 2408 to get another 8 ins (maybe outs?) I'm not a fan of inputs on the front, I like to keep things in the...
  5. schwa

I'm coming from an old rig that used a MOTU 2408 interface. The old machine died, and the 2408 doesn't fit in the new one, so I need a new interface. The two main things I liked about the 2408 was that it had 8 line inputs and was (for the time) a low latency device. When it comes to...
  6. schwa

Best Marshall for home use? girlfriend content inside

I think this is the correct answer. The mini stacks satisfy the GF, looks just like a Marshall stack, fits in the living room. If you plug them in, they can deliver pretty Marshally tones. They don't cost the moon. You'll have to look, but they can be found. I have a couple 1 watters, and...
  7. schwa

R7 advice requested

I just wanted to pipe in to say the older Historics are very good and worth considering. I don't know if they come at a discount compared to newer ones, but my 01 and 03 Historics are fine guitars.
  8. schwa

All black Strat?

I had a friend who had a contemporary Strat, always liked the black headstock. The world is your oyster these days. You can put together whatever you want. I've thought about having something in all black, but you can't have everything. I wanted my SuperStrat to still be a Strat, including...
  9. schwa

Another speaker question - High wattage G12M 25

I'm not an expert, but as I understand, the Creamback and the G12-65 are both supposed to be "high power" Greenbacks. I just can't figure out which is best without trying them both.
  10. schwa

I’m at a computer crossroads…

I need to get a new computer as well - my current system is almost 5 years old and is starting to loose steam. I found myself considering a Mac for the first time in decades. Two big factors are weighing in. 1. When it comes to music production, the mac has a number of advantages. I...
  11. schwa

Martin to Taylor…!? A Change of Faith…

I'm fortunate to have a D28 and a 355. When it came to each - I had my own set of calculations as to what was important/valuable. In the case of the D28, which was to be my "main" acoustic - I was looking for a certain familiar sound. I've had a similar experience with amps - I went through a...
  12. schwa

Gibson LPC Bridge Question

This is what I would do. Get them pre slotted if you can - slotting can be tricky.
  13. schwa

Gibson LPC Bridge Question

why is an abr 1 with a wire a bad thing? I have several abr1 guitars with a wire...
  14. schwa

Any big headstock fans?

When I decided to put together a Floyd Rose partscaster, I thought that the big headstock somehow "balances" the look of the guitar with the Floyd on it. It's a MIM, and a great player.
  15. schwa

Univibe clones?

A used Deja Vibe is where I would start.
  16. schwa

Ones does not simply decide on a big muff..

In some ways a Muff is like a lobster roll or chocolate cake. How can it be bad? As someone else said, the current EH offerings reflect what some like about this one or that. If you make a mistake, the next one is $100 bucks away. My favorite Muff is actually the Musket by Blackout - a 6...
  17. schwa

Best easilly available Wah pedal?

I don't know where you are located, but I have purchased a couple Fulltone Clyde Deluxe wahs locally for much less than the new price. It's a good wah and not hard to find.
  18. schwa

Les Paul weight question

I think Les Paul guitars can be too heavy, but I have learned they can also be too light. I helped a friend into a LP Custom R7 Wildwood model recently. Crazy light - freaked me out every time I picked it up. Very nice guitar - but I wouldn't trade my heavier R7 custom for it. I think a...
  19. schwa

Post your P-90 guitars

One of the things I like about P90 guitars is that when it comes to a jam, the other guy probably isn't playing one. My current "go to" is an '03 R6. One of the last shipped from Gibson with a Braz board. 8 (ish) pounds. I also have a nice 330 - '67 I think. It's a charming guitar, but...
  20. schwa

Do you run Thunderbolt with your Windows DAW?

TB does not seem to be common in Windows PC's but I am still looking. I am also exploring where it's possible to add TB without some sort of bottleneck.
  21. schwa

What is the preferred interface type for an audio interface for a Windows PC in 2021?

Some of the replies re-enforce that there are many ways to go. I think I want to examine the Thunderbolt path. The challenge seems now that Thunderbolt PC's are not common. Is it more common to add Thunderbolt? Are any cards more popular?
  22. schwa

What is the preferred interface type for an audio interface for a Windows PC in 2021?

Your experience is encouraging. I am wondering if a Thunderbolt card could be added to a Win10 PC, would the little connector on the PCIx slots be a bottleneck?
  23. schwa

Do you run Thunderbolt with your Windows DAW?

I'm interested in this tech, but I'd like to use a windows computer. Did your computer come with Thunderbolt? If not - how did you add it? Bonus question which interface did you select?
  24. schwa

Thanks for sharing. It seems that many think USB2 is sufficient, but I am skeptical. It also seems that Thunderbolt is speedy, but I can't seem to find many (any) examples of folks running it with Windows. I didn't mention it - but what about ethernet? seems to be available, but not common
  25. schwa

I have kinda painted myself into a corner with my old PC. I have been using an HP system along with a MOTU 2048 (PCIe) interface for many years now. Well, my PC was running Windows 7 and it is becoming more difficult to keep things current (win7 is not longer supported). At the time, I had a...
Top Bottom