Search results

1. EBGB

Are Vintage Guitars better?

Refinement may be the enemy of character
  2. EBGB

Ceriatone amps. What a joke! I thought. Till today....

My DZ30 is tweaked and also 10 years old But my impression is that the Ceriatone is smoother than the Matchless Possibly a little less bright too I prefer it actually, but mine is "modded"
  3. EBGB

Fryette Power Station (100) vs Torpedo Captor X

Hi I'm trying to decide between these two and welcome any thoughts The main use will be taming a '72 Marshall 50 watt so I can be in the same room with it and get overdrive Maybe sometimes using it to direct record I already have the Two Notes Wall of Sound Plugin for cab IRs (and Amplitube 4...
  4. EBGB

Gretsch G5445T vs. G5230T

Gretsch G5445T vs. G5230T Has anyone compared these 2 Jets? Which do you prefer and why? The 5445 is double cut with basswood body, maple top, rosewood fingerboard The 5230 is single cut with mahogany body, maple top, black walnut fingerboard Are they neck-heavy? How is keeping them in tune...
  5. EBGB

Confirming a '66 Tele CAR Refin Body

And the back Hmm what kind of wood... I feel it might be alder
  6. EBGB

Thx My edges are quite crisp as shown here Someone at a different reputable shop got me paranoid about that But everyone thinks it's a super refin
  7. EBGB

Want to make sure it's original body Pretty sure it's not original finish Don't have internal pics at the moment... maybe at next setup Does a refin require a lot of sanding or can paint/sealer removal be done more chemically for ex? Thx
  8. EBGB

So... the body in question is part of a complete '66 tele: correct neck, logo, F neck plate, switch, cloth wiring... It was sold as a '66 by a reputable dealer See pic People always say what a great refin it is It's worn, naturally I believe before my ownership, and has the gold undercoat Can...
  9. EBGB

Ceriatone amps. What a joke! I thought. Till today....

I've had the DZ for 5 years It was built from a kit by a tech I got TDS transformers I don't have too much experience with the original matchless But I liked the dz better in clips Except for 1 thing- too smooth, not enough texture That was true of mine but my tech knew how to mod it I spend...
  10. EBGB

NYC Recommendation for Fretwork/Refret on Vintage Strat?

I don't know any NYC guy over $650
  11. EBGB

I have 2 1 has very rolled edges To be quick and since I don't have his permission to post... Pm me your email for pics
  12. EBGB

I don't think the brand of wire matters to value Just use Nickel silver If you get into different bigger sizes the tang will split the fretboard more Stew Mac makes a slightly taller vintage wire with the same small tang But maybe you really want bigger Mas does great comfy rounded ends He'll...
  13. EBGB

Jeremy at Rudys $500 Mas Hino in Brooklyn $435 Discuss your feelings on fingerboard planing Sometimes adjustments can be made just with the frets Also discuss fret ends- I believe rounded is a more modern development
  14. EBGB

Better vibrato with trem bridge floating or flush?

On g string Standard tuning
  15. EBGB

Right now I can pull up a minor 3rd on my Callaham so it's pretty floated That works fine with their medium 64 arm But with their Fender length bar shape it sits too close to the pickguard
  16. EBGB

Thx guys To clarify I'm talking about actual vibrato (not bending) with the bar Do you think it can sound good/smooth with a flush bridge just going below pitch and having the bridge hit the body each time at pitch ?
  17. EBGB

When you vibrato with a trem bar Do you just go below pitch and back to pitch, as would happen with a flush bridge Or do you vibrato from below pitch to above pitch, as might happen with a floating bridge ? My initial impression is that the latter sounds better But I was surprised to learn...
  18. EBGB

Are noiseless single coils soon to be a thing of the past?

I have the Suhr back plate system from some years ago It is nothing less than ideal for me In a fender 62ri Strat with 57/62 pickups I don't think it changes the sound and Suhr said it technically can't I gig with it regularly and haven't noticed any hum There is a bit of noise left I...
  19. EBGB

If I like the SD Hot Rodded Humbucker Set (Jazz and JB), I'll Also Like...?

Thx Isn't modern more output (and more treble) Jazz has a fair amount of treble, certainly for a jazz pickup, which keeps it clear in the neck position JB totally agreed- the middle of vintage and modern Custom series for bridge is up the right alley
  20. EBGB

If I like the SD Hot Rodded Humbucker Set (Jazz and JB), I'll Also Like...?

A lot of pickups are super vintagey these days (Or they're super metal) (The Jazz and JB can do both of those) To me they sound about 15% more modern (85% vintage) I already have this set in a guitar For variety, is there anything else out there in this vein? They'll likely go in a mahog/maple...
  21. EBGB

Japan '68 Fender Stratocaster

Mine was owned by Duke Levine I think the pickups were stock I remember the br pu was a little intermittent They seemed normal, low output I put in Fralin Woodstocks which have a reverse stagger My tech was raving about them + seemed to go with a Hendrix style Strat
  22. EBGB

Japan '68 Fender Stratocaster

I've had a white one for a long time It was imported- These were ash as opposed to other models which were basswood Maybe not the best wood quality but I thought these sound better than lots of other models Maybe the nut is narrower but it is ok for me It does say '67 on the neck
  23. EBGB

Interesting Quote from Clapton on Les Pauls

If you read closely he's not saying they're vintage because they are 10yo, but because they are from a vintage year
  24. EBGB

Overly Bright Les Paul Standard

Really, my 2001 standard plus is too dark 300k pots I think 490r 498t
  25. EBGB

MusicMan 110 RD50

Lark Street has one I tried it recently Great clean headroom for its size but not necessarily for a big band/room Cleans are very good and on the hard funkier side I found the sound a little boxy It's really small I believe the foot switch was hard wired
Top Bottom