Search results

1. pgoon

Lower volume than expected out of my Bad Cat Panther

Hi gang - I wanted to give an updated on this - I ended up sending the amp in to Bad Cat and they sorted it out. For some reason, there was 120V wired directly into the reverb pot, and a few other wiring issues that they found. unclear why it was done this way, could have been a mistake with...
  2. pgoon

thank you zenas - i replaced all of the tubes after the last incident, and also saw the same (correct/expected) plate voltage in each socket :-(
  3. pgoon

thank you zenas i will send PDFs spec to my tech and see if he has one laying around...
  4. pgoon

thank you pdf. honestly i think calling it 15w was even very generous. "crippled" is definitely how i would describe the output right now :rotflmaoi was just thrown off because the sound quality is still good. I have since heard back from Bad Cat on email, so I may just end up sending to...
  5. pgoon

Hi PDF - sorry to reopen this but wanted to give an update. I found a local tech who was able to test the internals ... he says the OT has very low resistance, which indicates to him that the coils are malfunctioning, and the output voltage isnt amplified properly. he has asked BadCat for a...
  6. pgoon

I used the "pro" bias probe from Eurotubes, which measures both plate voltage and current when it is plugged in between the tube and the socket. https://www.eurotubes.com/store/pc/Eurotubes-Pro-One-Bias-Probe-for-octal-power-tubes-6p144.htm the formula they recommend is watt rating for the...
  7. pgoon

ok - so the best approach would be to just replace them and see if it helps?
  8. pgoon

yeah - i was going to PM you because I know you have one too :-) good to hear you confirm that it can be a loud amp - this one can't right now :-( ... i have been emailing erik at Bad Cat and may end up sending it in to them... thanks!
  9. pgoon

Update - I tested the plate voltage for all power tube sockets and it is consistent at around 430 across all 4. So i guess the next possibility to explore would be the caps - but that will be a project for another day :-) for now i will just continue to volume match with my Allen at low...
  10. pgoon

master volume is already completely out of the circuit when i run the bad cat (there is a switch to remove it from the circuit)... so all of these observations are effectively with a 'full' MV already. for the heat, i am not sure but i have had another issue with this bad cat getting hot...
  11. pgoon

yes - but could any combo of this put what should be a 35 watt amp into a 15 watt output range? it seems like my amp isnt even in the right ballpark... for example - is it possible my transformers are damaged, which is impacting output, even though the tone still is amazing?
  12. pgoon

AHHH - i see what you are saying now - that makes sense :) i will mess with the taper some more to make sure that isn't a part of the problem. but I like to run my amps pretty clean and use pedals for OD - and even at 3 oclock this amp was already breaking up a lot...
  13. pgoon

thank you for the reply pdf! yes I tried swapping in a new 5AR4 (all i had laying around) for the GZ34 that was in there, but the GZ sounded better and maybe a bit louder, so i left that one in. I also put a new balanced tube in the phase inverter, which did help a bit on an A/B test, but...
  14. pgoon

i will give this a shot, I only ran the amp at 3 oclock before - so i still have a bit of room left on the pot... im not worried about the allen or the matchless tho :-) they are already in the right ballpark based on all the 35-45 watt amps ive played in the past...
  15. pgoon

thanks - I've never swapped pots so I may need a friend to help with that - Ideally id take it to a tech but i don't know of any in the reno area that are recommended... i normally run the MV completely out of the circuit in the bad cat (there is a switch for that)... so thats how i did my...
  16. pgoon

Your current favorite Overdrive / Distortion pedal

nothing has been able to kick my combo of Wampler euphoria>keeley 1962 for several years now...
  17. pgoon

Hi All, looking for any thoughts you have. Here are the details. Thank you in advance for looking! I have had a Bad Cat Panther Reverb (4x 6v6) as my #1 for a while. I bought it used, and hadn't done anything to it since I bought it. Recently I have been running it stereo with an Allen Old...
  18. pgoon

best tangle free guitar cables

I find those 'tweedy' cables or other sleeves I've tried to be too stiff... my solution is to get a shorter cable - as short as I can with how much I want/am able to move around - usually 10' or 12' - mogami I think I have currently...
  19. pgoon

Sarah McLachlan

Afterglow is another great record that gets overlooked I think - great songwriting, guitar work, and production... really good record IMO...
  20. pgoon

What OD Could Be Your Only One?

ccccccannot compute.... asdf;lkaj;alskjdf;akldj;lk system failure aa; 3[45$%^&#
  21. pgoon

Top 5 Overdrive pedals

- Timmy - Maxon OD9 - Wampler Euphoria - Keeley 1962 - other pedal to be discovered These four sound great to me for what I do and give a good spread of different sounds regardless of what amp/guitar combo I am using, which is the most important thing for me. Other pedals sound killer with...
  22. pgoon

John Coltranes "Mr. Day" and Mr. Knight. Mesmerizing. Hypnotic.

this OP reminds me of another great tune -
  23. pgoon

Timmy lovers, state your case.

I have had a timmy on my board for a few years now - but I wouldn't use it for the application you are talking about - I use it as a toneshaper at the beginning of my chain - great EQ and I actually don't find it 100% Transparent... it adds a slight warmth that I like. For what you are talking...
  24. pgoon

General amp re-biasing question

you could buy matched quads or matched octets and in that scenario you should be able to swap in a new pair without re-biasing, until that 'batch' runs out...
Top Bottom