Search results

1. kenneth

Sold Mid 80's "Dallas-Era" Schecter PT (Eminence front!)

This is another guitar that is a GREAT player, but I have not focusing on electric all that much the past several years. This guitar has served me very well, and really deserves a good home where it will be played. These were based on the original Schecter PT that Pete Townshend...
  2. kenneth

Sold 1988 Fender Strat Plus in Graffiti Yellow

The time has finally come to pass on some great guitars that I am not playing regularly, so here goes: 1988 Fender Strat Plus Graffiti Yellow This is a 1988 Strat plus in graffiti yellow, E8* serial number. Currently has an "era-correct" set of EMG SA pickups, which sound great and are...
  3. kenneth

Guitar ID help please

Curious as to the maker of the guitar below. Matthew Sweet used a Fano for quite a while, but recently has switched to this, but I can't really tell what this is exactly.
  4. kenneth

NGD: Turner Model 1

After focusing on acoustic for the past couple years, I couldn't pass this up when one became available from the initial production run that Rick did in 1979/80. So now I'm getting back into electric it seems...and loving it. I actually purchased this in December last year, but it has been in...
  5. kenneth

Kramer colors of the 80's

did Kramer ever do any natural finishes? All of the guitars I have seen have had opaque finishes, but then I see this: http://m.ebay.com/itm/83-kramer-floyd-rose-signature-model-guitar-all-original-w-kramer-case-/321960967734?nav=SEARCH This has been striped and refinished, yes? I can't...
  6. kenneth

Project studio upgrades....aging DAW, etc.

Hi, I'm a hobbyist recorder, but have been at recording demos and such for quite a while, and now am contemplating my third studio "upgrade". I struggle with buying gear that seems to have a pretty short life. I compare this, fair or not, with buying guitar-related instruments. I do pretty...
  7. kenneth

RFID for a guitar with no serial number

I have a custom guitar from a well-known luthier, that I purchased new from an authorized dealer in the mid-90's. I had suspected it was a prototype of some kind, as it had several new features/woods not on previous incarnations of the model, as well as...not having a serial number that I could...
  8. kenneth

Neck profile preferences..

I see a lot of comments and descriptions in for sale ads, regarding neck profiles being described as "fat", "chunky", etc. I'm not sure really what these mean... I had previously assumed I like a "thinner" neck, but when i finally decided to get out the calipers and do some measurements...
  9. kenneth

NGD: 80's Kramer

Actually a "semi-NGD", as I have had this guitar as a basket case in the closet for about 10+ years, and finally decided to have my local shop finish several of my projects. I don't get many NGD as I am quite happy with the stable of instruments I have today, so I'm fully counting this one as a...
  10. kenneth

Please recommend a midi controller...

So, I am need to do some more elaborate drum sequence editing, and really getting tired of the keyboard/mouse to do this work in PT. I am considering getting a reasonable priced midi controller, mainly for editing midi parameters and such. Additional capabilities would be nice, but the above...
  11. kenneth

Acoustic players: Right hand technique and excessive noise.

I'm really trying to reduce the "noise" i'm making with my right hand, when fretting, bending (especially), position changes, etc. But I'm struggling. I don't mean string noise squeaks, i mean wrist against back of neck when bending, strings grinding against fretboard when bending, excessive...
  12. kenneth

New guitar smell...

What exactly is that smell? Is this some glue used in the case, or guitar polish or what? Seems to be mainly related to the case. I just opened up some relatively new cases I don't use much....and forgot about that smell. It is distinctive as...the new car smell. But different. Man, it...
  13. kenneth

Holiday break recording projects...

Just finished my day job, don't need to be in the office 'till Jan 2, 2013! Woohoo! And, the DAW is in tip top shape, after having recovered from a hard drive crash, then decided to upgrade to mountain lion and a SSD. Way more work than anticipated, but it is back up and running great now...
  14. kenneth

SDC for Guitar (yet again)

I know there have been MANY threads on SDC for guitar (I did search and read them), but I hope another one is tolerated. Finally, I am expanding my mic collection for a pair of SDC, mainly for acoustic guitar. From the various searching, I found this pretty helpful shootout with samples...
  15. kenneth

What to do with non-functional necks/guitar parts...

So...I have had this strat for quite some time, and about 4 years ago, the neck reached the end of the truss rod adjustment. So since this time, the bow has been increasing...increasing...and now the action is really to high for most players to do anything with. I've already replaced the...
  16. kenneth

Ergonomics/workflow of self-recorded acoustic guitar.

I didn't find too much about this topic under search, but I'm hoping for some good tips or pointers. I spend a lot of time recording myself with acoustic guitar. Between a couple of mic stands, the mics, access to the pres/interface controls, access to the transport controls/DAW, access to the...
  17. kenneth

Recording boomy acoustic guitars.

Hoping I can get some general guidance and ideas here. For a couple of months, I have been focusing on recording acoustic guitar with an LDC. The acoustic guitar is a midrange Guild, and the LDC an AT4050. PT8LE+003R. In general, I should note I am not entirely happy with the midrange...
  18. kenneth

Anti-signature guitars.

Based on all the discussion/hype regarding signature guitars, a couple ideas regarding marketing ideas for "non-signature" guitars. I am wondering if any guitar company has done anything like this. This was based off a comment last week by Bobby D, who stated he bought a American Strat off the...
  19. kenneth

My first "decent" condenser mic.

Hello, Just wanted to say thanks for all the guidance and help for n00bs like me. Really appreciated! Earlier this week I finally broke down to purchase my first decent condenser mic. After a few demos, much deliberation and procrastination, decided on the AT4050. I haven't extensively...
  20. kenneth

Buying used mics...

So...i have been shopping for my first LDC for some time for my little budget studio project. I see a lot of recommendations to "buy used from a reliable source". I bought previously a couple SM57 with no worries, as I understand these are built like a tank, and they are working great...
  21. kenneth

n00b performance question...nose breathers.

Not sure if this is appropriate, but I would hope you all have some good experience in these kinds of things... I primarily record guitar demos, and I realize now I am a heavy nose breather when tracking acoustic. I don't mind it really, when I'm getting ideas down, and it is a single track...
  22. kenneth

midi help for n00b please. (AdrenaLinn sync with PT)

Spent a good half of a day over the holiday trying to get AL to time sync with PT, with little success. So would appreciate any pointers to help debug. I believe I followed the manuals and hooked everything up correctly, using PT as the master and the AL as the slave. This is the first...
  23. kenneth

Rich Collopy...

I learned yesterday, that Rich Collopy [of Collopy Guitars in San Francisco's Richmond District] passed away last week. Rich was a master craftsman, and took tremendous pride in his work. He took setups to a new level [for me personally], even "custom shop" instruments played so much better and...
  24. kenneth

Fender price hikes [again, i know]

I'm curious if anyone has any idea if Fender is really actually selling guitars at the new MSRP, or street prices, since the price hike in February 2009. I'm still scratching my head. Are people really paying these prices in GC? Furthermore, I'm seeing 2006, 2007, 2008 high end fenders in...
Top Bottom