Search results

1. Britishampfan

Power tube tone: It’s not just hype!

There was a time when I was working for an amp tech helping him fix amps, I played in three bands and played a lot of different amps, and I was into experimentation because I owned a large number of different tubes and he had shelves of them. I could tell the difference between tubes because I...
  2. Britishampfan

Is the JCM800 2204 the greatest rock amp evar??

2203-2204 running right they all sound pretty damn great. You guys are comparing ribeye, Tbones and Porterhouses. All those Marshall amps mentioned on this thread are on a lot of records man.
  3. Britishampfan

Best reissue model plexi?

Sure thing but it will sound better through a 2/12. I just don't like 2/12`s and superleads or 75`s for that matter, they match up way better with a 50watt. 4-25`s. H30`s and a superlead. very nice
  4. Britishampfan

All those guys had super leads and 4/12`s but you can get there with a 50 and a 2/12. Rory used a Strat and the other guys humbuckers. I mean like everyone loves Rory`s sound but that was huge strings on Strat and lots of volume, nobody really matched his thing, maybe Stevie. The other guys...
  5. Britishampfan

What kind of sound are you going for? What kind of music?
  6. Britishampfan

Not really true but after extensive testing I like the bright cap in the circuit but I changed the value, there is a loss of gain and something when snip the cap, it gets flat. The cap comensates for treble at lower volumes and the more you turn up the less treble compensation you have.
  7. Britishampfan

If you are going to use a 2/12 and 75`s get the 50 watt.
  8. Britishampfan

Have You Found The Amp For You?

Yes I've found the amps for me. For me there isn't any ONE amp that does everything. I have amps from 5 watts to 160 watt stereo power amp. I couldn't get by with just one and there is so many great amps out there. That is maybe why some people go through so many amps, looking for the one, I...
  9. Britishampfan

old peavey doom amp recommendation - Rockmaster vs roadmaster

You need horsepower and a couple good fuzz pedals and a Gibson, the rest is in your mind. Can you riff with the best of them?
  10. Britishampfan

Blankenship JTM45!

Very Nice amp Congrats! I could be wrong but I thought the direct equivalent to KT66`s were 6L6`s? at any rate that might be an option but yeah man EL 34 Tubes are my favorite.
  11. Britishampfan

Help me with Plexis

My superlead can be run fairly clean but it starts crunching jumpered out at about 9 o clock on both dials and goes up from there. It retains the clarity and good note separation even with pedals and gain. Its certainly not a Fender twin, I like Fender twins as well, I have played vintage twins...
  12. Britishampfan

GAS for Marshall Studio series is over... Ceriatone

I think you can't go wrong, its got a little different sound to it, I find it interesting.
  13. Britishampfan

GAS for Marshall Studio series is over... Ceriatone

Nice crunch on that.
  14. Britishampfan

We are the Mafia of Amps

You know ya just drown them out, you know what I'm sayin. With some heavy Iron..
  15. Britishampfan

We are the Mafia of Amps

The Gun threads are allegedly in the pub.
  16. Britishampfan

We are the Mafia of Amps

We deal in tones, if you know what I'm sayin.
  17. Britishampfan

We are the Mafia of Amps

The first rule of the organization, is not to talk about the organization. Who's got amps? You didn't see nothin.
  18. Britishampfan

Nobody seems to want vintage Super Reverbs anymore.. and I’m buying one

Played a lot of gigs with a 1967 BF SR. Wonderful sounding amp. Why did I sell it? I decided I liked moving heads and cabs instead of a tank of a combo. The amp was finicky and less versatile than I expected. I had a love hate affair with 10" speakers. The main band I used it for broke up and I...
  19. Britishampfan

JJ EL84s

Retraction, My old Traynor runs 6v6gt, I was thinking of a 71 Bassmate.
  20. Britishampfan

Help me with Plexis

While everyones experience differs and my perception may not be yours, I find similar results with smaller Marshalls or any other brand amp, they clip and compress at a lower volume, slower and saggy and they sound great but lack the same clarity and the response of their bigger brothers. This...
  21. Britishampfan

Help me with Plexis

If you have the money and time I`d look for a real Marshall first, Playing and enjoying the amp while it increases in value. BUT There are many pitfalls in tracking and buying vintage Marshalls, Stories of heartbreak and disappointment and large tech bills abound after large sums of money...
  22. Britishampfan

Help me with Plexis

Well yeah man that is the superlead, Bright, clear, Kerrang and you can get the broken glass sound. amongst many other voicings. You could possibly find a metal face for a couple grand with pre 1973 made ones going higher. If I wanted a Plexi I would look for a good modern replica, a number of...
  23. Britishampfan

Help me with Plexis

To me a plexi is a 50 or 100 watt, 4 input non master volume head with one or two 4/12 cabs with greenbacks. There were other models with plastic fronts but rare around these parts only in collections or high end vintage music shops. Ive only seen heads for sale over the years and the most...
  24. Britishampfan

JTM/JMP Four Holer Marshall Circuits Appreciation #4

Nice! four years later and the thread is still rocking. Still have my old superlead.
  25. Britishampfan

Which Tube Amp?

I think you hit it already, VOX. Petty and Campbell used a lot of VOX and Marshall when I seen them live years ago.
Top Bottom