Search results

1. CheckSix

NAD Traynor YBA-1

BTW, I seem to remember putting a 1 Meg Volume pot in it. You can check once you get inside. I single channeled it, added capacitance in the power supply and tweaked the Neg FB resistance, plus installed the 1 meg Vol pot. IRCC, B+ to the power tubes was over 450V. As I recall, it went...
  2. CheckSix

NAD Traynor YBA-1

I think the one I gave @pickdropper I paid $150 for back in the mid 2000's. The ones to get are 1970 and older. The ones with the rubber bumpers on the cab ends are not as good.
  3. CheckSix

NAD Traynor YBA-1

Just to make things equivalent, get a proper 8 ohm cab with great speakers, instead of using it with a 16 ohm cab and then compare. ;) You remember the "harshall" model 1986 I had, right? It was no slouch and did really well with my '57 or '58 WG Tele's.
  4. CheckSix

NAD Traynor YBA-1

I had a Marshall smallbox Model 1986, which was a '69 early metal panel (within the first 10 made).... the modded YBA-1 I gave @pickdropper, loses nothing to the 1986 and in fact possibly out does it.
  5. CheckSix

NAD Traynor YBA-1

hahaha...!!! it out Plexi's, a real pre '69 50W Plexi. It is a beast and has great tone. These old YBA-1's are hidden gems.
  6. CheckSix

Your Favorite Turntable Cartridge/Stylus For HiFi Listening?

Brinkmann Bardo with 12" arm and RoNT II tube power supply. Acoustical Systems - Archon cartridge is currently installed. Phenomenal cart! I also have a Shelter 9000 cartridge which sounds great too!
  7. CheckSix

Axpona 2022

In a word? MONUMENTAL. :D
  8. CheckSix

Axpona 2022

If you are a Klipsch fan, the Volti Audio Razz sounded better than Klipsch normally do to me. The Razz are the entry point for Volti at $5K/pr. Continuing with horns, the Klipsch room had the ginormous Jubilee speakers. Not great with what I heard but could be the room/source material. The...
  9. CheckSix

Axpona 2022

Went to the Devialet room to hear their speaker modeling amp but was surprised when I walked in and they were demo'ing their brand new soundbar, the Dione. 950W and 5.1.2. Folks! This is the best soundbar I have ever heard! It is amazing for what it is. But.... it is $2400.00. If you...
  10. CheckSix

Axpona 2022

Yep! a few exhibitors didn't show up. My usual favorites are still the Scaena 3.2 speakers in the 2nd Level Epiphany Room. Amazing sound! This year Avante Garde brought the Trio's. They are magnificent! Here is an unusual design from Hungary..... Bayz Audio Radial speakers. They...
  11. CheckSix

Axpona 2022

It appears that Pure Audio Project is not at the show. They weren't listed in the main AXPONA booklet and I did not see them listed in any rooms.
  12. CheckSix

Axpona 2022

The only speaker model at the show is the new X4. They were playing through Linear Tube Audio electronics. The Z40+ integrated amplifier and then their Streamer DAC setup and Anti Cables for lash up. They were playing a Bill Frisell album but I'm sure which one. Sorry! I got to listen...
  13. CheckSix

Axpona 2022

I'll be there. I have the gold pass, so will be picking it up just before 10:00am Friday
  14. CheckSix

Totally Lost

One thing is, back in the 70's, marketing and design of the big boys like Pioneer, Yamaha, SONY, thought low distortion equaled good sound. They were using very heavy negative feedback in the main gain stage to squash distortion. What the more enlightened designers knew and figured out, was...
  15. CheckSix

Watts

On the completely opposite end of the amplifier spectrum, is my favorite solid-state amplifier of all time... the Krell FPB600. It does everything with such ease. Check out the measurements.... I chuckle every time I read this... The FPB600 matched this achievement by measuring 945Wpc...
  16. CheckSix

For you contra-cable guys...

I've worked 45 yrs in microrelectronics manufacturing and materials processing. I have multiple patents in component design. I have been blessed with working with some of the most brilliant engineering minds out there. Even they admit, they don't always know why something happens, when it...
  17. CheckSix

Hahahaha....!!! Yes, the PAD Dominus makes a big difference in the last 6 feet. In my case, I put in dedicated top grade wiring from the panel to my listening room and used all high end Hubbel hardware. Jim Aud who founded PAD, is a EE and a nuclear physicist. It is all engineering and...
  18. CheckSix

Your first paragraph is totally incorrect and shows your ignorance, because if you knew what you were talking about, you would not have said it. By default, I did not read further because there is no credibility. Chris uses no commercial wire. It's all painstakingly handmade, his design...
  19. CheckSix

It has everything to do with it. You don't know, what you don't know.
  20. CheckSix

yes! Go listen to a state of the art 2 channel audio system with an amp like the old Krell FPB600. Substitute the as supplied IEC standard power cord, for a Purist Audio Design, Diamond Edition Dominus power cord and actually hear the difference a power cord makes. An almost deaf person...
  21. CheckSix

One of the things I detect is that smearing goes away and subtle details become apparent. I had a musician friend over to my place a couple of weekends ago. He had not heard the current incarnation of my 2 channel system. I had not said anything about it and he was just listening at some...
  22. CheckSix

Then, why did Kevin Gray at Cohearent mastering studio, who was originally using Canare i/c's, replace all of that with AudioQuest high end cables? https://www.cohearent.com/our-system/ Here is what Kevin Gray said about the change in cables: Upgrading Connections at COHEARENT! It goes...
  23. CheckSix

Tough sneaking these by the wife

Hope you are enjoying them!
  24. CheckSix

Tough sneaking these by the wife

Electrostats don't radiate sound the same way as dynamic driver speakers. They are "beamy", very directional, so off axis listening, drops way off. On-axis, they are divine. Super fast transient response, detailed, superb imaging and so on... I lived with them for over 20 yrs.
  25. CheckSix

Post Your Home Stereo Rig Here

LOL!!! Good ol' Bob Carver.
Top Bottom