• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Search results

1. T

Tweed vibrolux troubleshooting

that is good that it wasnt worst case. : )
  2. T

Howdy

That's right, Howdy ya'll. Haven't been here in many moons squared. Hope you'all are doing well and I see we are still alive and well. What new has been happening? What fun has been happening? I see guys like WaltC and blue are plugging away. Cheers, Spiike
  3. T

Tweed vibrolux troubleshooting

Bummer, + 2 What the other's have said. Worst case: Including, that power transformer is beyond the end of its useful life. The enamel coated wire in the transformer may have degraded to the point where the heaters no longer work. It may be time for a rewind or buy a new power transformer...
  4. T

Tracking down parasitic oscillation

Don't feel bad brother. Sometimes I take years to figure out. Sometimes you never do. Your just too close to see it and you don't feel like messing with it. Read up on the Dumble guy and the Trainwreck guy. Both them had amps sitting around...Ken I think never messed with one of his...
  5. T

AC30 Wiring Layout

I should have realized this sooner. The replaced pot, the TremVol pot was damaged. Don't know if the unit came that way or damaged in shipping who knows. But when I got the amp it was in there and always was causing problems, unbeknownst to me. So a little bit of clean and removal along with...
  6. T

Anybody ever use the Billm mods for their Blues JR.

I did the mods on a friends amp. It really made a difference along with a new speakers. Unfortunately, I also told him I wouldn't keep the crappy output tubes in that amp. He should get some good new or NOS and just suck it up and pay the money. I think three to six months later he gave me a...
  7. T

AC30 Wiring Layout

Here is the AC30 that I've got and gave up on and recently working on it again. These are pics from the late 80s hand wired LTD edition from what I can tell. Interestingly I found some other pics of one on the net and it is slightly different than the with the GZ34. To note these are the...
  8. T

AC30 - tube layout? - photos

Yeah, your memory is pretty good, especially in dealing with the definitive British amp. The tube numbering scheme would make even Spock cringe though. I'll post a real treat for you over on my thread.
  9. T

AC30 Wiring Layout

I'm thinking the problem may be with the normal volume pot, Center tab thru 220K connects to the 500pf cap at A17 Right tab connects to .047uf cap on A 26. Or Is this a pretty standard issue with the AC30? (CD7 is there for fitting purposes, not soldered in.) And the right side here...
  10. T

AC30 - tube layout? - photos

That is a whole lotta fun in that amp.
  11. T

AC30 Wiring Layout

I'll have to post some pics. Trying to resurrect an old AC30. Not that old, is the SS rectifier one. Horrible hum, and pots/parts replaced prior... ...I'm trying to sort it all out here. For now, this is where I'm at... voltages are +-10/20 percent, in spec. vib/trem vol and brillant vol...
  12. T

issue with '72 Deluxe Reverb

Hi Guys, I would make sure to change out the white electrolytic in the trem circuit. I've seen more than a few of these blow up in an amp. The are a real mess to clean up too. Have fun and make music.
  13. T

Ampeg SVT Bias...

Ronsonic, Will do and I'll let you know the result. The Nerdy One
  14. T

Ampeg SVT Bias...

Clarifications, Bias fine with no signal; my bad it has a load. Also the amp is in spec during idle conditions. Then when a signal applied, the one side will not balance up. All the componant parts test and measure out fine. I also replaced the plate load resistors with new 600 ohm instead...
  15. T

Ampeg SVT Bias...

Hi y'all: Gotta quick Ampeg Bias problem. The amp is within spec with no load. .072 v on the power tubes and balances fine. I changed the bias sense resistors to 10 ohms. So it is all happy until you run your test signal through it and it the bias goes to hell with 1/2 the output tubes...
  16. T

Paper in Oil Caps???

It depends on the caps you are going to use and where. Certain paper in oil caps are fantastic, some are hype. What is the difference in construction, I don't know. You will get a very bright and clear tone on some and if you use pedals they are it. Other paper in oil caps are clear and very...
  17. T

*** Hot Rod Deluxe Amp Qs ***

Thank's bluesowl. All very good points and very well taken. Perhaps I should do change out the jacks with the standard switch craft jacks? Have to see if that would void the waranty. Also wondering if Fender fixed the resistor problem yet? Pretty common complaint/problem that causes all...
  18. T

*** Hot Rod Deluxe Amp Qs ***

Hi y'all, I've looked around and I'm trying to get some Hot Rod deluxe amps for kids at my school. I've gotten grants from people, little kids rock, Quincy Jones Musiq Consortium, and The Dallas Foundation. You can check out the projects here: http://www.donorschoose.org/TexasBluesProf Too...
  19. T

Ampeg "faceplate" cleaning

Ah, And here I was thinking of cigarette smoke. From a fire though is another story. For the smell use some Flax (linseed) based soap. Eco labs floor soap seems to be the best price for those that I've found. The others like Murphy's soap have petroleum distillates in them which to me is...
  20. T

SVT Question

I know what you mean. No wonder Kevin O'Connor complains about these amps. They are just not obvious in their layout and have wires going all over the place. They were obviously not made with service in mind. So the beat goes on. :)
  21. T

Ratty distortion on 70 Deluxe Reverb

While you got it apart might as well do 'em all and the Power supply electrolytics too.
  22. T

Ampeg "faceplate" cleaning

You sure it is smoke damage and not rust? Smoke would wash off with a mild detergent and water. If you are talking about pitting nothing you can do. You might try a chrome polish but not on the stenciling/lettering. Let us know what you find out.
  23. T

SVT Question

Adam, That is kind of what I was thinking. I've got two here including: One, that has been hacked and never worked correctly since. Two, a driver tube went taking out an output tube and its socket, or it could have been a short worked it's way through the socket, then took out the power...
  24. T

SVT Question

Follow up, I checked and another SVT that I have, has both the R24 and R25 value resistors as 47K. This is the later model with a stock 12AX7A in V1 on the power tube section and V1 - V4 are 12AX7As preamp tubes. Go figure. The R7 value doesn't seem correct as then it screws up the balance...
  25. T

SVT Question

Hi y'all, Checking out the mods for the SVT some of the following questions came up... From the Tube Amp Book (4.1 ed, p. 278) and (Deluxe Revised ed, p132) Discuss changing the the resistor values of R6 to 220K, R7 220K, for use with a 12AX7 tube. However, both books show a change to R-25 to...