• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Search results

1. J

Copenhagan welded plate 12AX7...

Thread from >11 years ago! https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/amperex-12ax7-ecc83.606558/page-2
  2. J

I think they sound quite good. Really interesting to see one with the Government Markings, as well as clear Philips codes. Another "mCA", this time with a clear Month code "0", together indicating manufacture in Feb 1953. The "Broad Arrow" markings on the side indicate this valve was accepted...
  3. J

Hi Bob- Nice, fresh-looking tube there! The top line of codes is a little murky. On the bottom line, "mC" = type code, i.e., ECC83/12AX7 in this case. The "A" next to it looks clear, = batch/change code, i.e., from manufacturing period of 1951-53 in this case. On top the character to the left =...
  4. J

Help with RCA 6L6GC Dating

Well, from those photos these are the famous RCA blackplates. in this case, assuming the logos are original, from the '60s. The RCA 6L6GCs first appeared in that general configuration at about the end of 1961, earlier ones had pressed stem construction and bottom getters. Those "meatball"...
  5. J

Raytheon Mullard Revisited

The above Tubes Asylum thread has about 30 responses (!), but lots of typical red herrings and digressions. The most pertinent parts to me re: our thread here are: *Raytheon branded and etched 6BQ5s, "Made In U.S.A.", with internals that correspond to early '60s Blackburn in detail, and...
  6. J

https://db.audioasylum.com/mhtml/m.html?forum=tubes&n=276268&highlight=raytheon+el84+mullard?&search_url=%2Fcgi%2Fsearch.mpl%3Fsearchtext%3Dortofon%2Bmca-76%26b%3DAND%26topics_only%3DN%26author%3D%26forum%3Dvinyl I remembered the above thread, haven't had time to reread it properly but posting...
  7. J

Those are interesting! I think that's a high probability, Bob, Blackburn insides with U.S. glass and pumping out. The internal structure looks exact for Blackburn but not for anywhere else including other Philips, from period of 1960-65 specifically. As Thom mentioned I think the time that...
  8. J

Beano / Summers Burst discussed in London?

Anyone here got Burst Believers II from 2014? I can't vouch for authenticity, but it has photos and narrative (pp.14-15) purporting to show the Summers burst recently with a whole new large and rather baroque headstock a la Gibson F4 said to have been done by Matt Umanov in NYC via Dan Armstrong...
  9. J

Can the spring on a Fender case latch be repaired?

I've long had that issue with one of the latches on the original brown Tolex case for my 1960 Telecaster. Since it wont spring open, it will hold the case closed until you lift it. With one like that, it's not really a big deal . If the one at the other end ever goes, would be a lot worse...
  10. J

Anybody seen these exact Celestions before?

Yes, Even 1950's EVs, etc. that have never been out of closed cabinets can look pristine.
  11. J

62 strat neck stamp

Thanks. Yeah, I was thinking March 62 was the first month. Believe I’ve seen 1/62 penciled.
  12. J

62 strat neck stamp

Remind me when Fender started stamping rather than penciling the date on the neck, isn’t that quite an early stamp? Maybe they were still standardizing procedures.
  13. J

Didn't Billy have one built into one of his hot rods?
  14. J

5881 tubes vs 6L6s

The RCA date code reference above is one of several online reprints from the April 1999 Tube Collector, presenting data drawn directly from RCA factory documents salvaged from the landfill when the huge Harrison, NJ mother plant closed in 1976. Yeah, vintage tube data code data gets complicated...
  15. J

I really like those, myself, for playing out. Have accumulated quite a few, with 1777 cones. Sound like a 12" Celestion, not overly bright, very solid and warm low end, more than a G12T-75, but not overbearing, Have kapton VCs, Especially with at least a pair you don't have to worry about...
  16. J

5881 tubes vs 6L6s

Yes, we now accurately look at the American 5881s as having lower absolute power handling compared to 6L6GC, but in the context of 1950 when they were devised by T-S they significantly increased it compared to other available 6L6s to that point. The max plate voltage ratings (butnot the...
  17. J

Most people see an outdated Sears Silvertone hi-fi....

‘50s Voice of Music is another brand with lots of cool U.S. low hanging fruit: tubes, speakers, transformers, knobs!
  18. J

Preamp Tube identification help needed

The top one is definitely Tung-Sol, good call! Can you make out a "3" following to the right of the "U.S.A."? Just from observation, when T-S used that "12" coding on these in early-mid '60s, it seems to hold up as a likely date of manufacture code, i.e., late 1963 for this one. They often...
  19. J

Martin electrics?

I've seen photos of Johnny Guitar Watson in the '60s with one.
  20. J

Question about the G12T-75 and the G12-65?

Yes, the above L to R was the order they were used in Marshall 4x12s, sequentially, and if you look at the T#s, which Celestion tended to register chronologically, that's also the order in which they appeared. The G12M70s were a departure from the others (and greenbacks) in that their VCs were...
  21. J

Question about the G12T-75 and the G12-65?

No, the classic recipe for those called for treated paper VC formers.