Search results

1. R

Swart Antares

Thank you. I know little about tweed amps, as I have so little experience playing them., just a short test-drive on a Kendrick 4 x 10 Bassman, that's all. Sounded good, though.
  2. R

Swart Antares

...and "old school" tweed tone is my goal. I can live without Trem and reverb, no disrespect to Swart. The Antares has my attention, though and I've never played it.
  3. R

Swart Antares

Howdy, With Weber's 30 watt AlNiCo Silver bell speaker, my 18 watt Dr. Z Carmen Ghia has pretty fair headroom. Mike Zaite insists that his Carmen Ghia has as many decibles clean as it does distorted. I agree. Besides, the Ghia is conservatively rated in terms of watts., it's likely more like...
  4. R

Swart Antares

Howdy, I'm on the fence between a Vicky Double Deluxe and Swart's Antares. You're just killin' me! LOL.
  5. R

Which tube amp to get for home use?

Howdy, I love my Dr. Z Carmen Ghia. Loudest 18 watts I've ever heard. Most important is it's versatility. Great for raunchy Blooze and useful for clean tones.
  6. R

Rolling Stones gear on Beggars Banquet & Let it Bleed

The photos I've seen at RCA studios in Hollywood ("The Last Time", "I can't git no", "19th Nervous Breakdown", "Git off My cloud", et al.) see Keith plugged straight into a blackface Fender amps, typically with his Epiphone.
  7. R

Nad (almost) Dr Z Db4

Thanks. Now, back to my 5-string tele plugged straight into my Ghia :)
  8. R

Nad (almost) Dr Z Db4

Howdy, Can we expect a re-release of the DB-4 in 2022? It frustrates this happy Carmen Ghia owner that my favorite other Z amps are no longer in production: Route 66, KT-45, DB-4, Mazerati and the Stangray. My only Z is the exceellent Carmen Ghia, but I want a different tone, without master volume.
  9. R

Is there a drawback to a Post PhaSe Inverter Master Volume?

Howdy, Life's too short for Master volume. It's getting harder to find amps without this cursed feature, especially in Dr. Z's excellent line of amps.
  10. R

Dr. Z Jetta

Howdy, ...but it would have a Master volume knob. I even phoned Humbucker music and asked them if they could order a Yetta from Dr. Z without a cursed MV knob. They told me that wouldn't be possible. Purists like me are a dying breed.
  11. R

Dr. Z Jetta

It would still have Master volume. It's my money, after all.
  12. R

Master vs. Non Master volume amps

Howdy, I won't have MV on my amp. It disappoints me to see Dr. Z turning away from traditional knob layout and moving heavily toward MV and more knobs. In fairness to him, he's a businessman and must give the majority of his customers what they want. Now that I've reached a point where I can...
  13. R

Dr. Z Jetta

Howdy, Master volume's a deal breaker for me. Dr. Z has discontinued so many desirable amps I'm now able to afford: Route 66, KT-45, DB-4 and the simple Mazerati come to mind. I have a strong preference for "new" amps and Z's Legacy program has either been temporarily suspended is is...
  14. R

Kendrick Texas Crude Gusher, one of the best amps ever made.

Howdy, Enjoyed your review. My LGS has a Texas Crude by Kendrick, in EC. I enjoyed the test drive very much, especially it's massive Bass and Treble at low volume. Wasn't really able to turn it up at the shop. Great clean tones. I'll be in position to buy it in a few more weeks, if it's still...
  15. R

What is your lightest solid body guitar?

8 lb. Gibson Les Paul Special. Mahogany slab body.
  16. R

Kendrick Texas Crude combo amp (The Gusher)

Howdy, It's the 2x12 Gusher combo. Spoke to Gerald Weber this morning and got some info on this amp. It also turns out we're both from the Beaumont, Texas area. Small world. I won't be ready to buy for a few more weeks. If it's still there when my money comes in, I'm probably snatching it up...
  17. R

Howdy, Selfish bump..
  18. R

Howdy, My local Guitar emporium has this amp , in excellent condition. I played it at low/ moderate volume with my 5-string (Open G) Tele and especially dug it's clean tones. It has a duet of EL34 output tubes and Kendrick "brown frame" speakers. The price tag is $1900, btw. It appears to be...
  19. R

Dr. Z DB4 vs. Swart Mod 84

Looking to add a 20 watt+ amp to the stable in December and a DB-4 (especially if it were to have a factory 1/2 power switch) would wet my appetite as i adore my Carmen ghia.
  20. R

Sovtek EL84 opinions

Howdy, These days I prefer the Sovtek 6BQ5. They're rugged, fairly reliable and fairly cheap.
  21. R

i don't like my vintage 65 Deluxe reverb

Howdy, Strat71, we're seemingly the only two who remain less than impressed with the legendary BF/SF Deluxe Reverb. I had a clean '71 Deluxe and it didn't ring my chimes. My Dr. Z carmen ghia is similarly powered and is my favorite amp. We're all different. Good luck in your quest for tone.
  22. R

Dr Z Jetta

Thank you. This old man didn't know this. I associate MV with preamp tube distortion and have knee-jerk revulsion to MV.
  23. R

Dr Z Jetta

Howdy, Happy Carmen Ghia owner. I'd like to see the Jetta offered without Master volume. Intriguing and affordable amp..
  24. R

Italian Jensens: what's wrong/right with them?

Howdy, The AlNiCo 8-inch Jensen (Italy) sounds fantastic in my old Vibro Champ.
Top Bottom