Search results

1. E

Source for humbucker magnets & tips for replacing them?

In general, rough mags have a "softer" sound (less treble) and polished mags have a sharper sound (more treble), so you can just choose which one you prefer for your application... In my case, i tend to prefer roughcast for bridge pickups and polished for neck pickups. ymmv
  2. E

Volume and tone control video series

I don't know exactly what is going on theoretically... but in real world use, the controls just seem to work like they should: treble is consistent all throughout the range of the vol knobs, and there are no weird vol-tone interactions. have you tried this type of wiring? Is it a free...
  3. E

I have that wiring in one of my guitars (2 vol, 2 tone). And it works just as advertised -- no strange interaction between vol and tone throughout the whole sweep of the pots, and no wierd taper issues. the brightness seems to be consistent throughout the whole sweep of the vol know, and the...
  4. E

thanks again for these greatly informative vids. I was hoping I could get your thoughts on this kind of treble cap wiring:
  5. E

Great vids... very clear, informative, and practical. I wish every guitarist would watch these.
  6. E

Is Hipshot Contour Drop-In Replacement for American Deluxe Trem?

Fyi, Here is the email i got from hipshot when I asked them about this: "Thank you for your question about our Guitar Tremolos. We have had many customers use our tremolo with the stock stud and inserts on their Fenders with no problem. It should be fine, however we do recommend that you...
  7. E

Is Hipshot Contour Drop-In Replacement for American Deluxe Trem?

I've done this swap on my Am Deluxe body, and the hipshot is a direct replacement for the fender trem, even using the fender posts/studs. I didn't want to pull out and change the existing studs if I didn't have to so I used it with what was already there. The only thing is that it won't work if...
  8. E

Tru oil over a decal?

Thanks for the input. I should have mentioned that my decal is one of those vinyl transfers and it is plain black, so no colors to worry about.
  9. E

Tru oil over a decal?

I have a vinyl decal on a custom headstock. The whole neck is already finished in tru oil. Can I put some more layers of tru oil as a sealer over the decal? Thanks!
  10. E

Neck pickup for Ibanez shredder axe.

Air Norton S and Pro Track would both be good. They would both give a humbucker type tone in a single coil package. If you want a real single coil look, the 54 pro is awesome for that classic hot single coil tone. If you want an even thicker tone and more output, go for the heavy blues 2
  11. E

Dimarzio PAF 36th Anniversaries in a Strat?

In strats, are you guys using this pickup with 250k or 500k volume pots?
  12. E

Does my Strat already have a steel tremolo block?

that looks good. The price is right.. it's worth a shot.
  13. E

Should saddle notches on a TOM bridge be filed smooth?

Thanks for all the responses! I'll take the guitar back to my tech so that the saddles will be filed with the right tools.
  14. E

Yes, it only goes sharp on the attack, and then drifts back in tune. And yes, this is my only gibson scale guitar (how did you guess!)... I'm using 10's and tuned to E flat, so I guess the strings are pretty loose. All my other guitars are fender scale bolt-ons, and this is not an issue...
  15. E

Thanks for the tip! There is an issue with this guitar and I don't know if it is related to the saddles being not smooth. The low E goes very sharp when I hit it hard (not stupid hard, but "rock n roll" hard). It's much more noticeable than on any other guitar. Could this be due to the wound...
  16. E

I just bought a replacement TOM bridge (Faber), and they come with "starter notches" Now if the bridge and saddles already match the fingerboard radius, is there any reason to file the notches? Should they be filed smooth so that the wound strings don't get stuck on them? Thanks.
  17. E

Ibanez RG-321 wiring diagram anyone?

Ibanez uses a custom switch with funky internal connections. Do you still need the diagram? I still have the original one from ibanez. pm me with your email addy if you do.
  18. E

Question about weight relief holes for a Strat

Well, the guitar already has a spring cavity and already has the" swimming pool" route. It's a stock 96 American Standard. The body is just heavy as hell. I'm really considering getting replacement body... Thanks for the suggesetions.
  19. E

Thanks for the replies. My goal is to shave off a few ounces, if that is possible. This strat is my main gigging gutar, and it sounds just fine to me, so my goal is not to change the tone. But this strat weighs over 9 pounds!. I've taken the guitar apart before, and it is really the Alder...
  20. E

Hi, I'd appreciate some comments about how to make the "swiss-cheese" holes for weight relief. This is gonna be done on a strat, on the part of the body under the pickguard. Something similar to this: I already have the forstner bits and a good drill to use, my only question is : how deep...
  21. E

Anyone get a floyd or edge trem block upgrade?

I upgraded the block in my ibanez Edge a few months ago. A noticable improvement in tone. No change in feel. overall, well worth the upgrade for any ibanez Edge trem
  22. E

Refinishing a Strat, do the stud anchors have to be pulled out?

Marcel, Thanks for the tips. So they are called bushings... ok So when using the heat gun to strip the paint, it's really ok to leave the bushings in the body? Has anybody else done this? Thanks!
  23. E

Refinishing a Strat, do the stud anchors have to be pulled out?

So I'm refinishing my 96 American standard Strat, which has the 2-point tremolo... the existing poly finish is gonna get stripped using a heat gun. do i need to pull out the 2 stud anchors/inserts for the bridge? i'm not sure if that's what they're really called, but it's the ones that are...
  24. E

I've waited 18 years for the Kinman treble-bleed mod!

that bass cut circuit is very cool, i've seen it at the seymor duncan forums. the suggested values were a 500k resistor in parallel with a .01 uF cap. this gives a roll off frequency of about 30Hz, which is perfect for taking out the muddiness or 'woofiness' from some neck pickups.
Top Bottom