Search results

1. GrooveMerchant

Amps They Don’t Make but Should!

I'd be interested in a 30 watt Vibro-King with a master volume, and in a head format, but with the same stellar reverb.
  2. GrooveMerchant

Amps you regret buying

Fender Jazzmaster Ultralight. They discontinued the amp shortly after I bought it, and when my power supply died they no longer made a replacement. Amp ended up in the trash. What a waste of money.
  3. GrooveMerchant

The Tele, the ugliest guitar I shouldn’t have bonded with.

Maybe it's just me, but I prefer a plain guitar anyway. Never been a big fan of figured tops, or bling on a guitar. If I was just gonna hang them on the wall I might see things differently.
  4. GrooveMerchant

I always have wondered what collectors of relic'd guitars say...

Beginners, or people who don't play may be curious, but the vast majority of guitar players will know what it is. But "distressing" or "relicing" exists for other products as well. Leather jackets, or boots, or buying jeans with holes in them has been a thing for ages. I have never been into...
  5. GrooveMerchant

PRS Robben Ford Model

Only for dentists under 60.
  6. GrooveMerchant

Finally could afford your dream guitar and found out it was not that good

My father waited his ENTIRE working career for his dream guitar. In 1968 he purchased a Gibson ES-330, and a Deluxe Reverb. But what he really really wanted was a Gretsch 6120 in Orange, just like Chet Atkins. Once he retired he finally got his dream and purchased a brand new Gretsch 6120...
  7. GrooveMerchant

PRS Robben Ford Model

Robben Ford is the PERFECT spokesman for PRS.
  8. GrooveMerchant

The Lowdown on Lindy Fralins

It was a gamble. Like I said it was about 15 years ago. Couldn't find much in the way of clips online at that point. I was replacing a set of Texas Specials whose neck pup went microphonic. I had it potted, but it didn't sound the same, so I thought why not change it up. I wanted the Tele to...
  9. GrooveMerchant

The Lowdown on Lindy Fralins

I have had no desire to change them in over 15 years. They do just what I want them to do.
  10. GrooveMerchant

Would you sell vintage to finance new?

Absolutely. Selling a guitar you don't play for one you believe you will makes total sense. Vintage or not.
  11. GrooveMerchant

Struggling to play light strings in tune

This is simply a deficiency in your technique. It can be corrected with practice. I taught many students who initially played like this, but with work were able to correct it. If you like the way you play, and do not desire to correct this flaw in your technique, then playing heavy strings may...
  12. GrooveMerchant

Right arm vs the hard edge of the guitar body

Yeah. A couple of buddies of mine do that. It provides a little bit of padding, and it also helps on sweaty gigs.
  13. GrooveMerchant

Just a sports wrist band that athletes wear. https://www.sportchek.ca/product/nike-swoosh-wristbands-331232492.html?gclid=CjwKCAjw_JuGBhBkEiwA1xmbReKX9ZwqUGyKorjpy-uuEpWrxDLTZcY8eHxgIDtupBfPeOuNkEnKJhoC26oQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds#331232492=331232496
  14. GrooveMerchant

NGD Tele-bration!

I haven't weighed it yet, but the swamp ash body is significantly lighter than my American Standard tele.
  15. GrooveMerchant

NGD Tele-bration!

I did my first guitar trade on Saturday. I traded a Music Man Silhouette Special for a 2012 Fender American 75 Block Telecaster Custom. Released in 2011 as part of Fender's 60th anniversary Tele-bration. I have wanted a Tele Custom for quite a while, but don't have cash for buying anything...
  16. GrooveMerchant

Your favourite PAF style HB's for a Semi-Hollow?

I've been looking into this lately. I have a set of 57's in my 339, and they're pretty good, but I'm low key looking for something different. I saw a vid on YouTube for Bloombucker PAFs. These seem to be the best sounding pickup I've ever heard in a 335. I'm very tempted, but they're crazy...
  17. GrooveMerchant

It's never been a problem for me personally, but I do know a couple of guys who wear a wristband on their forearm to deal with the issue.
  18. GrooveMerchant

Guitars at Gigs

I don't play slide in a band, but bringing 5 guitars for 15 songs at a multi-band event sounds absolutely insane to me. I only bring one guitar to a gig. If it were me, I would work on sticking in one tuning, or, get better gigs. I can understand wanting to play your guitars, but 5 at one gig...
  19. GrooveMerchant

Sanding down a Gloss Neck - Good Idea?

I used micro mesh on mine. Worked great.
  20. GrooveMerchant

New Fender hardcase, which of the two?

Whichever is cheaper and/or in stock at the moment. If everything was equal, I'd probably go black. It would fit in with the other cases.
  21. GrooveMerchant

Has your electric guitar every damaged a leg nerve from long seated pratice sessions?

Sounds like it could be meralgia paresthetica. It's a compression to the lateral femoral cutaneous nerve. Used to be called "night watchman's disease" and happened because of the repeated banging of their big bunch of keys on their thigh. Can also be caused by tight hip flexor due to lots of...
  22. GrooveMerchant

9.5" vs 12" Radius - Big difference ??

I don't even notice it when switching between my Tele which is 9.5 and my ES-339 which is 12. But maybe that's just me.
  23. GrooveMerchant

Bloombucker P.A.F. Humbuckers By Tone Specific Guitar Pickups Forum Post

Any clips of these in a Gibson ES-339? I'm tempted, but they're bloody expensive, and I want to be as sure as I can.
Top Bottom