Search results

1. schwa

Are "old" Historics less expensive?

Many of us are aware that Gibson Historic guitars have gotten annual "upgrades" not unlike automobiles do. Different finishes, hide glue, different pickups, etc. Almost every year for over 20 years. Does this make the earlier (older) Historic guitars less desirable? Should an R9 from 2002...
  2. schwa

"Best" interface for PC users

I'm coming from an old rig that used a MOTU 2408 interface. The old machine died, and the 2408 doesn't fit in the new one, so I need a new interface. The two main things I liked about the 2408 was that it had 8 line inputs and was (for the time) a low latency device. When it comes to...
  3. schwa

Do you run Thunderbolt with your Windows DAW?

I'm interested in this tech, but I'd like to use a windows computer. Did your computer come with Thunderbolt? If not - how did you add it? Bonus question which interface did you select?
  4. schwa

What is the preferred interface type for an audio interface for a Windows PC in 2021?

I have kinda painted myself into a corner with my old PC. I have been using an HP system along with a MOTU 2048 (PCIe) interface for many years now. Well, my PC was running Windows 7 and it is becoming more difficult to keep things current (win7 is not longer supported). At the time, I had a...
  5. schwa

Guitars you don't play

I have wanted a Les Paul Special in TV yellow for many years now. Sometimes I think God just doesn't want me to have one. They used to be rare, and now are more common but cost a fortune. I might specify that I want an Historic, they're only ones that get the finish correct. Anyways - I...
  6. schwa

Which Celestion speaker is most "scooped"?

I have an amp that I like very much but it is a bit mid forward. I am one who thinks that speaker choice can make a big difference in the sound of an amp and am hoping to find the best speaker. I know there are lots of great speakers out there, but let's confine this discussion to Celestion...
  7. schwa

Marshall 1965 cabs - one of the best for "mini" heads?

I am a fan of "small" Marshall heads - I have a 2204SE and a 2204x, and some of the 1 watters. It's a bit backwards, but part of what got me into them was that I couldn't fit a 4x12 cab in my car. Almost, but not quite. Somewhere along the line I found out about the Marshall 1965 and 1966...
  8. schwa

Does anyone still run preamp>FX>poweramp setups?

I'm not current on this sort of thing - I prefer NMV amps and its a different world. If I WAS a preamp gain kinda guy - it seems like a top grade preamp into a great FX would be a flexible and compact rig. To make things loud, one could use couple powered monitors or plug right into the PA...
  9. schwa

Celestion Heritage G12-65 cab too bright

I have a Marshall 2204 rig that has a closed 2x12 cab with celestion heritage g12-65 speakers. When I was putting things together, I heard that these are the "correct" speakers for a 2204. On spec, these speakers are supposed to have the power handling needed and are voiced a bit darker to...
  10. schwa

I don't know how to work delay pedals...

I have been paying for a while now, and like to think I know a think or two about gear. I tend toward classic gear - I am largely a Strat/LP into a simple Marshall amp kinda guy. If there is one sort of effect that confounds me it is delay. Lots of my heroes use it at least sometimes, and I...
  11. schwa

Is a 1x12 creamback supposed to sound like a 4x12 of Greenbacks?

I have been trying to find out how the Celestion Creamback sounds compared to a G12M Greenback. The thing I find confusing is that Celestion designed it as a "high power" speaker that sounds like a Greenback, then says "it sounds different from a greenback". The creambacks are very popular...
  12. schwa

Loud rig and quiet rig

We're all familiar with the concept that amps can sound different based on how loud you are playing. Does anyone run a different cab/speaker depending on how loud they are playing? Playing with a band vs. playing at home for example? I like to play out of the home with other musicians...
  13. schwa

Cleaning bare wood on the guitar neck

I have a CS Strat where some of the BACK of the maple neck is "unfinished" from CS "relic" wear. (It has a RW board). This area has become a bit dirty/guncky from my playing. The unfinished part is where a lot of playing happens. I'd like to clean up a bit, but I'm not sure how best to...
  14. schwa

1x10 cabs, any fans?

I have a new amp head coming in, and have been looking for potential victims cab wise. I have a 1x10 cab - nothing too special - has a greenback. One thing I have found it useful for is lower volume applications. If I am trying to keep a lid on things, the 1x10 seems to do so vs. bigger cabs...
  15. schwa

Speaker/cab for Carr mercury V head?

I've neen thinking a lot about the Mercury V and was wondering what cab might be well suited to the head version. I know Carr offers 1x12 cabs, but they carry a premium similar to their amps. There are many possible choices - though the head only supports a single 8 ohm connection. 1x12 with...
  16. schwa

Carr Mercury V vs. Marshall Studio Series

I was looking at the Carr Mercury V, and it occurred to me that at 16W and "Marshally", it might be comparable to the 20W Marshall Studio amps. If you have played both, I'd be interested in your impressions.
  17. schwa

Echoplex delay pedal with Echoplex preamp...

I've been reading some of the "delay into the front of the amp" threads with interest lately, and recently picked up an Echoplex pedal. I've also learned of the legend of the EP preamp, and am fond of boosts with my NMV amps. So my question is this - I see that Dunlop has the EP preamp, but...
  18. schwa

Making the commitment...

I've been re-doing my pedal board recently, and have brought in a couple to audition, I think I am going to hold onto one or more of them, including adding velcro. This will make a pedal un-returnable, so I like to give a pedal some work before I make a change. Do you give much thought before...
  19. schwa

Compact "S" patch cables

I'm re-doing a pedal board - a "compact one", so space is at a premium. I've seen the newish flat patch cables which I am finding helpful. I have one pedal with top jacks. The flat cables would be great, but to go from a side hole to a top hole (or vice versa), they need to be twisted to...
  20. schwa

Unobtainium Pedals

Times change and products come and go. Some pedals have become legendary - but you can't get them new anymore for whatever reason. Then the speculation begins... Some examples that come to mind are Old Rat pedals, White dot SunFaces, "Big" Fulltone 69's, the Captain Coconut, and perhaps the...
  21. schwa

Best OD with boost... KOT, Tim, Fulldrive?

I was going through some of my gear and got to wondering. There are some popular pedals out there that have two settings. One is an OD, the other is a boost on top of the OD. There are some legends in the mix there. The Fulltone Fulldrive is a riff on the TS circuit (as I understand), the...
  22. schwa

Need an interface, but don't need preamps...

Time moves on, and I am looking at an upgrade to my DAW. I need to use the workstation for other tasks, so it will be a Windows PC. Back in the day I used SONAR and a MOTU interface successfully. The thing is - I don't think I'll be able to bring my old MOTU with me to the new PC and SONAR...
  23. schwa

Is there a down side to the Marshall Studio amps?

So the Marshall Studio series (20W) amps have been getting a lot of love on TGP since they came out. These amps are theoretically similar to their higher power brothers, but is anything lost compared to a 2204 or 1987? Are these studio amps similar to running a 50W at half power? I have...
  24. schwa

It seems that the Carr Mercury V is one of the "darlings" of TGP. Do you still like your original?

The Mercury V gets a good amount of love here on TGP - but there was a Carr Mercury that came before. Are there still some fans of the original mercury amp? The new Merc is supposed to be decidedly "Marshall" in flavor - I've always thought of my Mercury as a great low power...
  25. schwa

So I played an 8 pound LP Custom the other day.

And it kinda freaked me out. Ok - it wasn't 8.0 pounds but it was low 8's. I have a "regular LP Custom". It's not a fat ass, and it may have have weighed 9 pounds in high school, but it's a bit more now. It happened that I had both guitars at the same time. But it was strange to switch...
Top Bottom