Search results

1. 6

Is there still a place for 100W amps?

Agreed, and the sound guy will turn up the kick to keep up with the bass. Gets nuts.
  2. 6

Chris Isaak's guitar player had two silverface Twins, one was a drip edge, with JBLs at Jazz Fest in New Orleans this year. Sounded amazing, best clean tone of the festival by a mile. I had a 69 drip edge I sold to Scott Lentz - really should have kept that amp.
  3. 6

And still so many posts about volume... IT'S NOT ABOUT VOLUME
  4. 6

Yep. Any amp getting max'd out starts to compress and dynamics can go out the window. And if it's already giving everything it's got, no pedal will get any more out of it.
  5. 6

Steely Dan dropping the ball.

Funny how often Skunk Baxter doesn't get mentioned in Steely Dan threads. He did some truly great stuff from my perspective.
  6. 6

Talking with the Sound Man last night…

We always get our best mix when we're partnering with the sound guy. It's a team sport.
  7. 6

I beg to differ
  8. 6

So combining the points of this thread with a sound guy thread in the recording and live sound forum… Isn’t it ironic how much venues tend to clamp down on guitar players, yet so many places seem to love bass heavy mixes to a point of stupidity? I get it, guitar frequencies cut through more...
  9. 6

I love the sound of big amps, was a Twin guy for years. I grappled with the idea of picking up an 80-100 watt amp to use in some of the bigger rooms and outdoor venues we play, but worried I wouldn't get as much use out of it so in the end I picked up two identical 40watt 1x12 combos and they're...
  10. 6

Which is why I've never gone up and said anything, even when the sound is ruining a show I've paid good money to see. But seriously, a lot of guys seem to have no ears.
  11. 6

There is definitely a trend for very bass-heavy mixes. I've seen the sound of national acts really changed/decimated by a mix that seemed to be aimed at more of a "dance club" sound, usually at the cost of vocals and any instruments occupying the upper ranges. Even a problem at Jazz Fest this...
  12. 6

Power Conditioner for your Live Guitar Amp / Rig

Never used one for my guitar amps - agree that it's voltage that seems to have the most impact on tube amps. I can say that my little PA had a definite drop in noise floor after I added a conditioner, just one of the lower end Furman things. If they really are just glorified power strips...
  13. 6

Anyone here prefer wedge monitors to in ears? Or did you decide to change back to wedges?

Appreciate this. I haven't seen these articles, but I picked up intuitively that I could have the one IEM cranked if I'm not careful. I typically set the level for something comfortable with both ears in, then don't turn anything up when I pull one out. I'm only using the single IEM to hear the...
  14. 6

Running sound usually means that someone is adept at handling the tech, but it's absolutely no guarantee a person has a good ear. Had to deal with that reality way too many times to be convinced otherwise. Many musicians may not know how to handle a mixer, but they know when something sounds...
  15. 6

Anyone here prefer wedge monitors to in ears? Or did you decide to change back to wedges?

We're a 7, sometimes 8 piece with horns, acoustic drums, bass, guitar, keys and a vocalist. 4 vocal mics on stage, horns have clip on mics, bass runs though and amp and a direct line, keys are solely through the PA and guitar amp is mic'd. Whether we're running our own sound or using a house...
  16. 6

active speakers for dsm simplifier

I haven't used the simplifier, but I've used amp-emulator pedals (Tec 21, Ethos Clean and Clean 2) for years and tried a number of powered speaker options both at home and in live settings; - Acoustic guitar amp - Klipsch media speakers - Good studio monitors - Powered PA speakers (The last 2...
  17. 6

X32 Live Tablet Mixing - First experience report

This is exactly why I feel the need to have a control surface on the board. As for your WiFi, I assume you're using a password?
  18. 6

Power and Surge Protection

And in another twist, I spoke with Tripp Lite and the customer service guy told me their surge protectors are made for computers, and might not do as well (or may at least have a shortened product life) with things like tube amps (!). So back to the drawing board. On thing for sure - not...
  19. 6

Daisy chaining wedge monitors together from monitor outputs of Zoom L-12 mixer

We started using an Allen & Heath Qu16 for our small club PA and so far it's working out really well. The board sounds good, and can be run off an iPad or off of the control surface. Being fully dependent on a wireless connection would't be comfortable for me either, I've just run into too many...
  20. 6

Anyone ever notice sound quality suffering with a surge protector? I've been looking at Tripp Lite (which have good specs) and have seen a couple of user reviews where people claim to have lost high frequencies.
  21. 6

Thanks. As I posted above, I have a power conditioner rack mounted under the board. Really trying to see what folks are using for surge protection.
  22. 6

Curious what everyone is using on stage these days. I have our small club system, which is a QSC 2x12 parabolic sub, two K12's, two K10's that serve as floor wedges, and a Allen & Heath QU-16 board. Mounted in the rack is a Furman power conditioner. All cables are Canare quad with Neutrik...
  23. 6

Hi Frequency loss through cables - Resolved!

In the time it takes to re-solder your existing cables you could make new ones. 20+ years is already a longer than average service life, time to replace them. Cables definitely fatigue.
  24. 6

Playing out again - Advice on consolidating huge pedalboard.

Be honest with yourself. What really has impact in a live setting? (ie for the audience, not you). Does the average person hear the difference between various modulation, flavors of drive, delay nuances etc? And how much does tap dancing on the board interfere with the notes you chose, nuances...
Top Bottom