Search results

1. icr

Why are we gravitating towards guitar designs that are 60 years old?

Almost everyone plays a "Stradivarius" shaped violin and a "Boehm" style clarinet and a "Torres" shaped classical guitar that all look similar. Same with electric guitar; Strat and LP style have risen to the top in a similar manner and will continue to be popular for many years to come. In a...
  2. icr

Show me your purple guitars

...well it used to be...OK "10" on the wood but maybe only "3.5" on the dye...
  3. icr

Well, another day, another amp destroyed by UPS - Mesa MKIII hardwood

As upset as you should be, that is a Holy Grail amp. I’d be glad it is repairable and realize fewer and fewer people can ever own an amp like that. Consider tearing it down, refresh pots, caps, tubes and sockets as needed and get the cab professionally restored locally or within driving...
  4. icr

Polish up an older guitar, advice needed

It is almost impossible to polish poly by hand.
  5. icr

How do I "yellow" my guitars? Best cigarette brand?

The lacquer has yellowed on my guitars and they have never been near tobacco smoke. One thing tobacco smoke does well; make the lungs black.
  6. icr

Revisiting the Standby Switch

What “inrush of current?” 40 milliamps? Haha...
  7. icr

Songs and albums slightly out of tune...

Another new problem generated by the internet. My 13yo sister was the only person I knew with a fixed rpm turntable. I can’t think of any record I can’t bring in tune with my midrange turntable. Heck, even my cassette deck has a pitch knob with a center detent.
  8. icr

Marsh Face Plates for Mojotone Chassis

You are making fake amps? Ok.
  9. icr

Deluxe Reverb project, finally got one

Fantastic! You will have fun with that. I picked up an un-molested 1969 Deluxe Reverb still with its original tubes recently. Looks like this. I'd not worry about spending some big money to get a good cabinet for yours. These unmolested amps are valuable and hard to come by.
  10. icr

NGD: Gibson Les Paul Custom

Nice guitar! Customs without gold are unique. They made some with Nickel back in the 1970s. Norlin cost cutting, or unusual gems? I have a 1976 custom with Nickel.
  11. icr

Grounding a LP after Bigsby install

"Most Elegant" would be to remove the Bigsby...:rimshot
  12. icr

Are Gibson P90s good?

I knew this guy with an electric guitar that also had some speaker box to which it connected by some wire. The contraption made noise...music even. If you had something similar you might be able to check out those pickups yourself...
  13. icr

The Norlin Years at Gibson

A few years later I got my current 1973 LPC for $350. I recall at the time really wanting the brand new 1984, but all I could afford was the old beat up’73...
  14. icr

The Norlin Years at Gibson

Who wrote the negative review? Can we read it too.
  15. icr

Why is it when I am looking up studio monitor reviews...

Loving my JBL 4311b speakers!
  16. icr

How Did you Pick Your Pickups?

Most of the guitars I bought came with pickups installed.
  17. icr

Gibson sues Heritage

Totally agree on that “cultural object “ twist, in fact the US Dollar bill fits that description. Why don’t you go first in disseminating those and I’ll follow...
  18. icr

Which One of You Guys is Liquidating His Collection? Massive PRS Arsenal!

Really not much of a fan of 1990s gear. Is this stuff in fashion again?
  19. icr

Digital Lacks Weight?

Digital has no weight? Exactly! Because it is an abstraction, there is no physical component; like Bitcoin, you can't see it or touch it. It has no mass at all.
  20. icr

Lou Reed R&R Animal Questions - Guitars used and who's in the left and right channel

A little off topic but check out Wagner’s solo on Here Comes The Flood from Gabriel’s first album. Blues based Strat sounds...somewhat anti-Fripp.
  21. icr

Something wrong with my ad for a musical partner?

Haven't you heard, the LGB crowd has repurposed the word 'partner.' They are OK by me, but just sayin'...
  22. icr

2 prong death cap question

Every amp i build for my studio includes a capacitor to ground on a 3 way switch. In my properly wired studio (where green and white are tied together in the subpanel) this poses no threat of harm. Should the amp get stolen...
  23. icr

Why is guitar standard tuning kind of at odds with most horns / woodwinds?

Gypsies didn’t often play with symphonic backup... Plus, classical composers only started writing for guitar in 1800s and writing for electric guitar in 1970s.
Top Bottom